Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

myth lol

It's been perpetuated the last few years by just some awfully unlucky storms for us

Aw man! So it is just my snow-repellent force field after all. Apologies to the other inhabitants of the Connecticut River Valley for taking you down with me.

I've noticed the despite the run of bad luck over the past eight years, Middletown, in the heart of the CRV, holds two of Connecticut's all time snowfall records.

1) Greatest single storm total (unofficial, I think): 50" (Blizzard of 1888)

2) Greatest snowfall in one calendar day: 28" (Jan. 28th, 1897)

Fingers crossed for the upcoming storm. Hoping we can finally break into double digits around here. I've only measured more than 10" once (16" in Feb 2006) since Sept. 2003.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looks pretty similar for SNE that 12z did for the qpf fetish people...in the upper air it trended actually a bit stronger with the main northern stream vortex to our west. 1" of QPF basically 495 belt and southeast including E CT and RI. Over half an inch everywhere else with closer to 0.75" being the avg

Euro looks pretty similar for SNE that 12z did for the qpf fetish people...in the upper air it trended actually a bit stronger with the main northern stream vortex to our west. 1" of QPF basically 495 belt and southeast including E CT and RI. Over half an inch everywhere else with closer to 0.75" being the avg

Thanks will, good nite all....back tmrw

Right over the BM and ENE from there.

There's definitely some weirdness going on with the vorticity fields as they get very close. It actually trended a wee bit stronger with our main northern stream vortex to our W in PA...which is all I'm really looking at in this time frame. The sfc features will probably be the last to react.

There's definitely some weirdness going on with the vorticity fields as they get very close. It actually trended a wee bit stronger with our main northern stream vortex to our W in PA...which is all I'm really looking at in this time frame. The sfc features will probably be the last to react.

General 8-14" looks good.

I'd like to see it move inside of the BM and I think we may see that at the last minute considering what you are noting.

Upton note at an obvious time...

QUICK COMMENT ON 18Z NAM/GFS/21Z SREF/00Z NAM RELATIVE TO

POTENTIALLY POTENT COASTAL LOW IMPACTING THE REGION FROM LATE

TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. WHEN TAKING AS A COLLECTIVE WHOLE...THERE

IS NOTHING IN THERE TO SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE PREVIOUS THINKING. THE

MAIN THING TO NOTE IS THAT THEY HAVE TRENDED MORE TOWARDS THE

ECMWF IDEA OF THE LOW BEGINNING TO RAPIDLY DEEPEN AS IT APPROACHES

US...WHERE AS BEFORE THIS GROUP OF MODELS HELD OFF ON THE RAPID

INTENSIFICATION UNTIL AFTER THE LOW WAS MOVING AWAY.

General 8-14" looks good.

I'd like to see it move inside of the BM and I think we may see that at the last minute considering what you are noting.

Its a pretty good solution verbatim to pretty much get everyone in on the party (for SNE)...even Cape Cod (maybe brief taint). It gets 1" nearly back to HFD then about ORH and your BY...everyone SE of there is 1"+...but nobody gets obscene 1.5"+ amounts either.

Yea, I through out the same call a day or two ago......

Will, are the mid level lows still going to town in a favorable spot for us?

Yeah for the most part...for my own BY, I'd like to see them tick a little NW as you probably would too, but as is, its still fine. Jackpot would likely be SE MA somewhere but the good CCB stuff gets well back into C MA and up toward your area...then it starts to fizzle N of about ASH.

Yeah for the most part...for my own BY, I'd like to see them tick a little NW as you probably would too, but as is, its still fine. Jackpot would likely be SE MA somewhere but the good CCB stuff gets well back into C MA and up toward your area...then it starts to fizzle N of about ASH.

I mean timing wise with respect to fastest rate of deepening.....

Euro track FTW? :yikes:

See ya's all in the AM.

I certainly think I may perform better out of this one than I did with the blizzard, that gave me 7.5'' which really isn't all that bad, but I think I have a decent shot to pass that come Wednesday.

I should too, I got about the same as you from the blizzard, Ill be thrilled with double digits as I havent seen that for quite a while here, I was always on the edge or in the dryslot.snowholes. This one could very well get the ball rolling.

I should too, I got about the same as you from the blizzard, Ill be thrilled with double digits as I havent seen that for quite a while here, I was always on the edge or in the dryslot.snowholes. This one could very well get the ball rolling.

The last double-digit storm I received here was from Feb '06 when I recorded 27.5'' of snowfall, I've come close a few times with 8-9'' storms but never fully got to 10''.

I would still be very wary of the trend and being in the bullseye at the timeframe we stand at.

I think this should be a relative "easy" forecast...I think right now we can pretty much lock in a storm and at least one that will produce moderate snowfall (warning criteria) snowfall for the majority of the region, I think the only major issue right now is (but given the timeframe were in it's nothing unusual) do we see widespread significant snowfall totals (>8-10'')...then of course any possible mixing issues.

I think though most of us should feel pretty darn good, although eastern folks maybe a bit more on edge just b/c of the NAM..I know the NAM is an outlier so to speak but it can't totally be discounted IMO.

How did you pick up that much?? Deform?

Yes sir!

MAJOR convective band sat over me for 3 hours dropping 14'' in that span...was pretty incredible. Thunder/lightning and sick whiteout conditions, I remember barely even being able to see out the picture window (those large windows that are like 3-4ft wide) b/c the snow was falling so hard.

Great times.

Yes sir!

MAJOR convective band sat over me for 3 hours dropping 14'' in that span...was pretty incredible. Thunder/lightning and sick whiteout conditions, I remember barely even being able to see out the picture window (those large windows that are like 3-4ft wide) b/c the snow was falling so hard.

Great times.

You must have lost it... I have a bad feeling that SE Ma gets fooked on this one. NNE hasnt had a storm to call their own for a long damn time.

You must have lost it... I have a bad feeling that SE Ma gets fooked on this one. NNE hasnt had a storm to call their own for a long damn time.

It seems that extreme SE MA is frequently in the bullseye 72 hours out...but these storms often trend NW just like on the 26th. Hopefully this storm nails the South Coast because I always get ripped off down here. NNE will get their chances. Where are you moving to?

It seems that extreme SE MA is frequently in the bullseye 72 hours out...but these storms often trend NW just like on the 26th. Hopefully this storm nails the South Coast because I always get ripped off down here. NNE will get their chances. Where are you moving to?

Heading back to Bridgton Maine tomorrow.

I am admittedly biased on the outcome of this storm but I truthfully think NNE is long overdue.

Archived