joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5h rolling out under us in a parabolic arc again is nice to see. If we lock into that mode, I believe the more organized slower surface system evolves, we are slowly working all the way back to five days ago. Any rate it gon snow seems a lock,how much eh?, think Phils whiff is off the table100 % LOL[\b]

clown. I said like two days ago I'd be more concerned about a miss/light event than the mid atlantic cashing in. :lol:

P.s. Long live snowNH

Lol... I never expected anything from this setup... My expectation was and is 1", which is pretty useless here IMO. I will never expect anything more from an inverted/norlun type scenario, because that is just stupid. The models could shift 50 miles in the last 24 hours, especially in this pattern.

Its not possible to jump when you were never on the cliff...

Enjoy the snow!

This is true...LI has seen some 10" snowfalls from NORLUNs....I believe 1988 had one of them. We could see a small area of intense lift and great ratios with 850s around -10C. The one thing we have to keep in mind is how cold it's been this winter, and how cold each storm is...we're going to be seeing dendrites with snow immediately accumulating on roadways due to the cold temperatures at the surface and aloft. This could be a dangerous situation for drivers trapped in a heavy band that forms unexpectedly and without much notice. Upton NWS is definitely going with precaution and calling for near warning criteria snows here.

The convective nature of NORLUNs, and the fact that they occur with ULL (meaning cold air aloft) usually allows for good snow ratios. It can really dump some dam good dendrites over a matter of hours.

The 5h rolling out under us in a parabolic arc again is nice to see. If we lock into that mode, I believe the more organized slower surface system evolves, we are slowly working all the way back to five days ago. Any rate it gon snow seems a lock,how much eh?, think Phils whiff is off the table100 % LOL

I was thinking earlier as I was out doing errands, that we might just work ourselves back to the runs of a few days ago.... I'd only be a little surprised, after what happened in the models on Dec 25 in this pattern anything is possible. If nothing else we are trending slowly better....that is the clear signal. And it now appears that the pv will come under us.

I think it's outstanding for your by but NYC...the city itself and NJ seems like just barely on the outside looking in per the graphics by cty I saw...see Bob's pic below. You get buried this run though...everyone from Yonkers on up.

12"+ for NorthShore on this run. Don't suppose we could la la la lock it now?

Eventually I'm going to trust the NAM more than the other guidance on this one, but probably not before 12z tomorrow. Getting close though :snowman:

I don't care....let me rephrase; it's off the table for the majority of the area.

I think it's impossible to say that yet. 15z tommorrow sure, right now I say nuts to you.

The NAM would be the far southern outlier with its main qpf max versus those SREF members.

I think that's a pretty good clue that there is some major bust potential around NYC if they go with a significant snow forecast.

SREF's - in an environment changing as fast as this one why look at a suite that hasn't really performed well outside of 30 hours this winter?

If we continue to see this idea of that nice consolidated pocket of vorticity moving in our direction...followed up by the upper air low passing to our s...we can probably hedge toward a more expansive event. If that energy ends up weaker we are probably looking at a more banded event favoring who knows where...with multiple screw jobs. Hopefully it's the former.

It's nice to see that trend of a decent vortmax pivoting into sne. That seems to be the focus for the pseudo CCB band that tries to form down your way. I think your second point has taken shape today. That big s/w rounding the PV causes a wobble and brings the PV under sne. At the very least, it continues lighter Currier and Ives snow over sne, but you saw the 00z NAM. It wasn't far off from dragging more moisture sw.

I think it's impossible to say that yet. 15z tommorrow sure, right now I say nuts to you.

SREF's - in an environment changing as fast as this one why look at a suite that hasn't really performed well outside of 30 hours this winter?

I'd hope to think we are entering the NAM's wheelhouse given that it's within 48h.

Not for me but I have been told, settling for mid size can be satisfying if you are into that sort of thing

:drunk:

Good luck with that.

Alright everyone, we're turning the corner! With the post-Christmas blizzard, Kev started most of the threads while the storm was modeled out to sea, then Bob stepped up and started the thread that lead to the famous 12z model run shift, and then we were off to the races.

And so, as I said in beginning of that famous thread too, I got good vibes about this thread!

The NAM would be the far southern outlier with its main qpf max versus those SREF members.

I think that's a pretty good clue that there is some major bust potential around NYC if they go with a significant snow forecast.

the euro had basically nothing for NYC.

its a highly volatile situation, but i certainly wouldnt put my eggs in a Norlun basket.

the euro had basically nothing for NYC.

its a highly volatile situation, but i certainly wouldnt put my eggs in a Norlun basket.

Yeah thats a brutal forecast down there. I'm not sure how I would play it. SREF wasn't very high on more than an inch or two there either.

Its a hard forecast for this area too...but the model discrepancy is larger down there.

Archived