Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

Definitely too good to be true. :axe: From GSP's latest AFD:

AND THERE IS LINGERING CONCERN THAT CONVECTION NEAR

THE GULF MIGHT INTERFERE WITH THE AMOUNT OF MOISTURE THAT WE WILL

HAVE AVAILABLE THIS FAR NORTH.

Yea I figured as much but it only dropped me down from 8.2" to 7.2" so not too shabby...greenville down to 5.5"

They are not using the NAM yet, pretty much EURO and GFS and SREF

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty then...Raleigh says .75 to 1.25 ( But our 4km shows N Alabama, N Georgia, upstate SC and the NC southwest piedmont as the bulls eye with 0.75 to 1.25.)

So at 15:1 for most of the event 10+" for Rosie through NEGa through ME and burrel and lilj to Foothills(Robert) and that includes STRONG (Mark).

Can this possibly be right?? Almost to good to be true!:thumbsup:

what about me?? Thanks alot :(

They have give me a chance of accum, now. :thumbsup:

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER

MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE

OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...SNOW. MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE UPPER

20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...SNOW WITH SLEET LIKELY IN THE EVENING...THEN SNOW

SHOWERS LIKELY WITH POSSIBLE SLEET AND FREEZING DRIZZLE AFTER

MIDNIGHT. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.

CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW.

COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 20.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING. HIGHS

IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS

LOW AS 10 ABOVE.

You're an idiot. This run is going to be better for RDU qpf wise I would guess, the problem is that most of it is not snow it's mainly all ice.

No, I was just going on what everyone else was saying in the main thread about central NC. Then I go and read this from RaleighWX. It sounds like the models are agreeing pretty much on the track, but they have no idea how much precip we will really get out of it. It sounds like we won't know how much we will really get until it starts going.

The NAM is just not saturating the subcolumn cloud layer at all in NC,or taking for ever to do it thus the precip just doesnt get going.

One of our hi-res in-house models interestingly enough shows 0.25 to 0.5 inch over N GA, and a 0.75 to 1 inch fin NC from the southern mountains through the foothills southern piedmont to RDU to the central coastlne. But our 4km shows N Alabama, N Georgia, upstate SC and the NC southwest piedmont as the bulls eye with 0.75 to 1.25.

the bottom line is that the overall storm track and ideas are pretty set in stone, however, I can still see QPF oscillate from regoin to regoin and amount to amount over the next 36-48 hours.

I don't get it. Everything sounded better through 48 or 54 with the3 waves seperating which should mean less shearing our SW, Southern Sw more amplified and good placement and then POOF quicker than Hudini.:arrowhead:

Man, I hate to have to hang my hat on the GFS and UKIE but thats all I really have this way right now that look pretty good and the Euro sounds horrid this way and not great even for you guys south of me.

Okay, so I've been looking at these the past few days... what the heck is it measuring and in what units? I thought it was QPF at first but then one of the members showed 100 (4 inches in millimeters) across NC.

you can add me in the southern foothills of WNC to the "I like that look :)

I know this is slightly unrelated to the present system, but does anyone know how the 30 year averages have changed with the passing of another decade?

For our area I'd guess that average temps have come up a little bit and precip has gone down a bit. Just a guess though, I didn't look it up.

Brick might be an idiot, but he knows when there is nothing of merit in the models that signals a better snow situation in central NC from this upcoming storm.

Ice? meh.

In fact even dryer trends may be in store for future runs in our area.

For the rest....Better hope this wave blows up bit soon over Texas. Looks kind of anemic.

[swirling towel over head (pre-toss)...awaiting 0z runs]

I really, really feel like this will be a very underwhelming storm for many. This is just a messy, ugly setup, fraught with so many things that can go wrong....confluence to the north, dry air, shortwave dying too quickly, 2nd shortwave too close to the first, 2nd shortwave not close enough to the first, 2nd shortwave too far to the north, moisture-robbing convection in the Gulf, low doesn't deepen rapidly enough along the SE coast, warm nose stronger than forecast, warm nose quicker to move in than forecast....the only thing going for it around here is that it's cold enough at the surface for a nice ice storm, should we actually get any precipitation. We don't have to worry about that...yet.

Brick might be an idiot, but he knows when there is nothing of merit in the models that signals a better snow situation in central NC from this upcoming storm.

Ice? meh.

For the rest....Better hope this wave blows up bit soon over Texas. Looks kind of anemic.

I hate to be a PITA, but I'm trying to understand w/ regards to what the event model thread posters are saying and the current upper/mid level maps & models are showing. How does this particular current sfc map from TWC ( http://image.weather...rwx_600x405.jpg ) relate to the anemic ULL that 'is forming' over TX and its potential for QPF??

A couple of days ago, I was under the impression the only low coming our way was the one now shown on fore mentioned map situated over AZ??

My limited past has only looked at boobtube surface maps w/ regards to forecasts.

Any chance of the sfc low phasing in w/ the TX ULL or is the sfc low sucking the life out of the TX ULL?? Just curious.

I really, really feel like this will be a very underwhelming storm for many. This is just a messy, ugly setup, fraught with so many things that can go wrong....confluence to the north, dry air, shortwave dying too quickly, 2nd shortwave too close to the first, 2nd shortwave not close enough to the first, 2nd shortwave too far to the north, moisture-robbing convection in the Gulf, low doesn't deepen rapidly enough along the SE coast, warm nose stronger than forecast, warm nose quicker to move in than forecast....the only thing going for it around here is that it's cold enough at the surface for a nice ice storm, should we actually get any precipitation. We don't have to worry about that...yet.

Not only in Raleigh. I get the feeling the real headline out of this storm is going to be ice, and the mayhem that ice brings. Expectations in my own back yard have gone, in a few days' time, from a nice snow to a mixed bag to a cold rain. Everybody's been hung up on QPF, but the thermals are no picnic. The whole storm has just been trending warmer, at the surface and aloft. People from Raleigh to Charlotte need to start thinking about how well prepared they are for extended power outages. Because that's on the table.

Hello Bozart :wub: any SN today in Fountain?

Yeah. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ice? meh.

Are you Muslim or something?

No wonder I'm a feelin' like a dumb bunny a-tryin' to learn more how the tech stuff works on this particular setup.......you nailed it!!!

I really, really feel like this will be a very over-performing storm for many. This is just a great, beautiful setup, with so many things that can go right.... less confluence to the north, less dry air, shortwave dying later then expected, 2nd shortwave in just the right position, 2nd shortwave is close enough to the first, 2nd shortwave just far enough to the north, moisture-producing convection in the Gulf, low deepens rapidly enough along the SE coast, warm nose weaker than forecast, warm nose slower to move in than forecast....the only negative thing going for it around here is that it's cold enough at the surface for a nice ice storm. We don't have to worry about that anything really yet.

There I fixed it for you tongue.gif

Not only in Raleigh. I get the feeling the real headline out of this storm is going to be ice, and the mayhem that ice brings. Expectations in my own back yard have gone, in a few days' time, from a nice snow to a mixed bag to a cold rain. Everybody's been hung up on QPF, but the thermals are no picnic. The whole storm has just been trending warmer, at the surface and aloft. People from Raleigh to Charlotte need to start thinking about how well prepared they are for extended power outages. Because that's on the table.

Yeah. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's a good point about folks being unprepared for ice. I'm still not convinced that there will be enough precip, at least in a lot of NC to create a major ice storm. Parts of GA and SC maybe. We'll see. But I've completely given up on more than an inch or so of snow here.

Archived