e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is for TODAY/TOMORROW. Please stop posting/replying threats for next week... we already have a thread for that (especially directed at Ji, who STARTED that thread!).

---

I had faith that the 12z NAM would fall back in line, and it did :D Still liking my snow amounts for NoVA/MD/Delmarva for now.

whats your prediction again?

The midwest system finally looks like it's starting to take a little north tilt- more ENE now than due east. By the time it phases we will be in its rear-view mirror. While the current radar echos are probably virga or light flurries, it may hint to where the precip may line up when it starts for real. I think south of I-70 is really screwed :(

For the first time I get to feel the pain of the DC crowd. My home is in Monmouth County and we got slammed with 30 inches of snow for X-MAS. Now I am in APG and having to deal with this nonsense. It's depressing.

Don't worry, it's not snowing where the radar shows it is either.. you're familiar with virga, right?.

Hmmmmm, generally the NWS radar shows precip that is hitting the ground.

We are getting snow showers here in APG.

We should probably stop posting about weather altogether, right?

Get over it.

I asked him to post it, because it's interesting to think about, however unlikely to verify as something good for us.

There's another thread for it.

For the first time I get to feel the pain of the DC crowd. My home is in Monmouth County and we got slammed with 30 inches of snow for X-MAS. Now I am in APG and having to deal with this nonsense. It's depressing.

Hmmmmm, generally the NWS radar shows precip that is hitting the ground.

We are getting snow showers here in APG.

lol no it doesn't... it's just like every other site that runs raw 88D data.

We should probably stop posting about weather altogether, right?

Get over it.

I asked him to post it, because it's interesting to think about, however unlikely to verify as something good for us.

A met echoed my sentiments exactly so you get over it!!! No not stopping about weather, but use common sense. Were not done with this one and it just nonsensical.If you go to the psu eyewall site you can find the dgex model.!!

The midwest system finally looks like it's starting to take a little north tilt- more ENE now than due east. By the time it phases we will be in its rear-view mirror. While the current radar echos are probably virga or light flurries, it may hint to where the precip may line up when it starts for real. I think south of I-70 is really screwed :(

I still think Balt can get 1-2 out of this but we know its a La Nina winter!

Bressi, I was just looking at it and I knew it wasn't likely. Btw I'm not even on FF anymore, tired of it. Wanted to call for 2-4 Xmas and they all said 6-10. Anyway, let's just chill out and enjoy our high end wwa event. For all we know, models are off, but I think the call by LWX is right as I said 3-5 as well

Oh Im not saying LWX is wrong...and Kudos on the Xmas....however we still would have been wrong too :)

@Mdecoy

Radar pulses do not travel parallel to the ground, they travel at an angle and therefore they increase in height with distance away from the radar. Therefore, especially in areas far from the radar the pulse can pick up on precipitation higher up in the boundary layer that might be evaporating before it reaches the ground (virga). The closer you are to the radar site, the less likely you are to deal with this effect, but the radar most certainly picks up precip that is not actually hitting the ground.

No it's not. All of the 88D radars collect data and get displayed in the same manner. Don't kid yourself.

I can't argue with that. All I know is I've never once had a verga issue with the BASE NWS radar from NJ. Not once in 10 years. The radar on Wunderground (whatever they use) has never had verga issues either. That's just been my experience.

Archived