joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just absolutely snowing in BUCKETS outside right now. I'm guessing we have to be well over 3" and maybe even pushing 4". That is one insane band gearing up over southern/central NJ right now and translating towards here. Hopefully the pivot starts soon though and the band doesn't move completely past us.

It isn't..it backbuilds as it moves west.

another friendly reminder, this is not for obs... you can use the pinned threads for that... lets keep this to analysis.... ----correction, lets keep this to GOOD analysis.

if you dont have anything pertinent to post. please refrain. NO OFF TOPIC is allowed here, take it to PM or start a new thread in OT or use our fabulous chat function.

We're going through threads like some people go through cheap toilet paper, lets try and keep the posting down by keeping the garbage out.

Again, if you're not sure if you have something good to post, err on the side of caution and don't post and read and learn instead!

Thanks guys! Enjoy the Snow! :snowman:

Looking at current radar returns, I wonder if we're seeing the approximate locations for the light, moderate and heavy snows for the remainder of the storm. The heavier bands that were moving northwest through the Lehigh Valley and toward the Wyoming and Susquehanna Valleys have retreated somewhat, and that movement in general has stopped and appears to be holding serve in it's present location.

Looking at current radar returns, I wonder if we're seeing the approximate locations for the light, moderate and heavy snows for the remainder of the storm. The heavier bands that were moving northwest through the Lehigh Valley and toward the Wyoming and Susquehanna Valleys have retreated somewhat, and that movement in general has stopped and appears to be holding serve in it's present location.

Those initial bands pushed through but it looks like it is backbuilding nicely over bucks and montco and still pushing west and northwest. I haven't seen an easerly component yet, probably not for another few hours.

Though it will certainly be lighter every few miles west, even out in Tamaqua you should do alright! :thumbsup:

I think we are starting to see the general setup but remember as the system condtinues to evolve deepen and progess slowly to the N or NNE or maybe even NNW at a point the orientation of the bands will change and they will also pivot. What I think you may be seeing at this point with more certainty is the western edge of accumulating snows in PA. The mesoscale dynamics are just now starting to take off and that will also effect the banding setup, location movement etc. Up to this point it seems this is going pretty much as expected with no big surprise yet.

Beginning to think that double-digit totals will be hard to come by in the immediate Philadelphia region. While we are seeing rates of around 1/2 inch/hr now, they will pick up but likely not last long enough or be intense enough to reach 10-12" totals. Areas to the east will fare better. I think 6-10" for PHL and its immediate suburbs appear most likely at this time. That could change, largely depending on how far west the strong deformation band retrogrades.

Beginning to think that double-digit totals will be hard to come by in the immediate Philadelphia region. While we are seeing rates of around 1/2 inch/hr now, they will pick up but likely not last long enough or be intense enough to reach 10-12" totals. Areas to the east will fare better. I think 6-10" for PHL and its immediate suburbs appear most likely at this time. That could change, largely depending on how far west the strong deformation band retrogrades.

If you look at the radar - it looks like those heavier bands in NJ want to push west.

Archived