Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the band that is over nyc right now is just incredible on radar....

i went to Times Square cam to confirm...easily easily the heaviest snow of the night.....just breathtaking.....its a true blizzard and whiteout. amazing

For the first time all day that camera is basically working, it was a good secret last year but once posted on these boards everyone was on it.

I believe we are in the midst of a period of increased frequency of nor'easters. The amount of MECS+ events in the past decade has been unprecedented. Don't forget about the amount of rain nor'easters, which has also been on the rise.

Any reader of American history would beg to differ.

They will move east but likely weaken as they do so...there tends to still be areas of mesoscale bands as the system lifts out...SE Nassau seems to be doing better than SW now as SW NAssau and most of Queens are in a zone of subsidence between the big band west and the subtle band in SE Nassau and SW Suffolk.

It's still snowing very decently here in Long Beach (echos here are more intense than the rest of Nassau ATM). This does look to be the stage in the storm where bands kind of sit in place and snow themselves out. There won't be any big pivoting or motion out like most noreasters we experience here.

I believe they are likely correct though outside of Central Park which was probably more at 7-8 at 7pm, alot of the non-official measurements I believe are being contaminated by roof blowoff and just overall drifting....the QPF argued for totals near 12-14 total for JFK/LGA if they did not get into any intense mesoscale banding...as of now they will likely pass those easily and they have only been in transitory bands so far.

I live maybe 4 miles east of JFk and I can say with absolute surety that we have more than 10". At 430PM I shoveled my driveway and had AT LEAST 4-5"...at 1030PM I had to shovel my fathers car out of my driveway and there was at least an additional 12" at that point. Its completely possible that there was blowing snow involved, but it was consistent across the entire 15-20 feet of driveway...

now to pour myself a scotch.....

It's still snowing very decently here in Long Beach (echos here are more intense than the rest of Nassau ATM). This does look to be the stage in the storm where bands kind of sit in place and snow themselves out. There won't be any big pivoting or motion out like most noreasters we experience here.

It's been 1 inch per hour plus regardless-- even when the radar looked weak it was snowing quite hard lol.

Guest Patrick

Whiteout here again in Clifton... I love you all. Seriously. And I meant hat in the most platonic way possible.

My windows are plastered with snow... this is nuts. Insane right now. can't see 50'

Archived