NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>070-074-271245-

/O.CON.KOKX.BZ.W.0002.000000T0000Z-101227T2300Z/

WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-WESTERN BERGEN-

EASTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-

EASTERN UNION-ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-

RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-

1138 PM EST SUN DEC 26 2010

..BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST MONDAY

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST MONDAY.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS...WITH CONSIDERABLE

BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...18 TO 24 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

UP TO 30 INCHES POSSIBLE.

The incoming band may be the heaviest snow of the night.

I have trouble thinking I will ever see anything like this again.

By the way, I love everybody in this thread. Seriously. We've been watching this since it was on the 240hr GFS panels. You guys rock.

hey John- will those bands move east like the feb 06 band did? or are the clowns in SW Nassau screwed as usual?

I believe they are likely correct though outside of Central Park which was probably more at 7-8 at 7pm, alot of the non-official measurements I believe are being contaminated by roof blowoff and just overall drifting....the QPF argued for totals near 12-14 total for JFK/LGA if they did not get into any intense mesoscale banding...as of now they will likely pass those easily and they have only been in transitory bands so far.

SG, they would be a lot more accurate if they didnt measure snow on roof tops :( Theyve admitted to inaccuracies in the past, I just wish we could automate snow measurement somehow to take the human error element out of the equation.

Hey Yehuda!!!

I had to text Midlo to figure out the new forum (had been away since March) but glad to be back!

Snow in lower Manhattan has been unreal... probably pushing a foot out there, folks - it's super tough to tell in the city and the wind certainly doesn't help. Gonna be an allllllll nighter...

This was updated 15 minutes ago.

hey John- will those bands move east like the feb 06 band did? or are the clowns in SW Nassau screwed as usual?

They will move east but likely weaken as they do so...there tends to still be areas of mesoscale bands as the system lifts out...SE Nassau seems to be doing better than SW now as SW NAssau and most of Queens are in a zone of subsidence between the big band west and the subtle band in SE Nassau and SW Suffolk.

It's just remarkable the number of big storms the tri-state area has had in recent years. We'll have to remember this cycle fondly when we go into a period of years without many big storms. As we know, it's not normal to get big storms at the pace we've gotten them. This has been an incredible period for snow lovers. This is like a dream.

I believe we are in the midst of a period of increased frequency of nor'easters. The amount of MECS+ events in the past decade has been unprecedented. Don't forget about the amount of rain nor'easters, which has also been on the rise.

Cars on my street are getting to be absolutely buried. I have no idea how much I have at this point because of the drifting but I have to assume it's over a foot, possibly well over.

Its likely somewhere between 12-16, I will go measure again in a bit.

It's just remarkable the number of big storms the tri-state area has had in recent years. We'll have to remember this cycle fondly when we go into a period of years without many big storms. As we know, it's not normal to get big storms at the pace we've gotten them. This has been an incredible period for snow lovers. This is like a dream.

Agreed. Great to finally have some real winters again. I hope there'll be a few more storms this season.

I believe they are likely correct though outside of Central Park which was probably more at 7-8 at 7pm, alot of the non-official measurements I believe are being contaminated by roof blowoff and just overall drifting....the QPF argued for totals near 12-14 total for JFK/LGA if they did not get into any intense mesoscale banding...as of now they will likely pass those easily and they have only been in transitory bands so far.

I live maybe 4 miles east of JFk and I can say with absolute surety that we have more than 10". At 430PM I shoveled my driveway and had AT LEAST 4-5"...at 1030PM I had to shovel my fathers car out of my driveway and there was at least an additional 12" at that point. Its completely possible that there was blowing snow involved, but it was consistent across the entire 15-20 feet of driveway...

now to pour myself a scotch.....

I believe we are in the midst of a period of increased frequency of nor'easters. The amount of MECS+ events in the past decade has been unprecedented. Don't forget about the amount of rain nor'easters, which has also been on the rise.

This actually started in the early 90s-- with the Halloween 1991 storm..... we had some of the most destructive noreasters back in the early 90s-- although they were mostly rain.

Archived