Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad your reprt agrees with mine across the river in Jersey City. I was beginning to wonder hearing all of these reports from LI of 4" and counting... :lol:

Started snowing here in East Queens around 10:15 this morning, got much steadier after noontime. Went out for a walk about 20 minutes ago and I found the average depth away from homes and trees was about to my knuckles. Went home and put a tape measurer to my hand and it was about 4 inches lol. Not the most scientific way to go about measuring but better than nothing scooter.gif

JM, I think Upton's call of 20-25" is lookng pretty good right now if bands can be intense.

Thing is, if the band gets more intense than progged, someone will hit close to 30"?

It looks pretty much like Snowpocalypse down south of I-195 right now and it's all headed right at us. I'd say 20" is a distinct possibility and who knows, 25"+ is possible in one or two favored spots. 12/19/09 did it for central Suffolk and this looks to be a longer duration event than that one was. My thoughts on the jackpot zones right now are coastal NJ, into western and central Long Island. The banding and convergence appears headed right for us. This area could be shut down for days if the snow combines with strong enough wind and begins toppling over power lines and trees. Roads are already a disaster.

I believe CNJ will be the winner again..... This is getting ridiculous.. CNJ has become the new Snow captial of the northeast.. w/ last winter and now this winter.. You guys keep getting annihilated

jeff

They're just in a good spot - thats all. A 25 minute drive on rt. 78 east will probably yield foot and a half if not more; whereas where I live in Easton we may not see more than 4" unless we get some of those heavier bands shooting this way. It's literally right on our back doorstep, just a tad further and we're in.

Looks like Glenn Schwartz's snowfall map of 20"+ from last night looks pretty good.

If I'm not mistaken, he lowered his predictions this afternoon. (I think he was going with 16" as the top accumulation).

EDIT: Ooopps..... he was referring to areas of 16 PLUS inches.... my mistake.

I think it was SnowGoose who said earlier that this storm was going to be like 12/30/00 -- He appears to be exactly right. Scary similarities.

I definitely feel for those west of the Delaware. As I thought, there would definitely be a ripped off zone out there. It might pivot a little further west, but that's about it. The storm looks to really center itself over the NJ coast, NYC and Long Island.

I definitely feel for those west of the Delaware. As I thought, there would definitely be a ripped off zone out there. It might pivot a little further west, but that's about it. The storm looks to really center itself over the NJ coast, NYC and Long Island.

It's been snowing for almost 3 hours; light-moderate snow non-stop and we only have 1/4" - 1/2" range on the ground lol.

Sleet mixed with snow on the nortshore in Huntington on nassau/suffolk border. Steve dimartino NYNJPAweather says we are still southeast of the 850mb low and wont go back to snow till later tonight so a few hours of sleet so he expects my snowtotals around 12-15 aghhhhhh thought we were not supposed to have mixing issues!

Meh, I'm kind of used to it after 2/12/06, 12/19/09 and 2/6/10.I think we'll get ours later in the winter anyway.

I'm in Jenkintown and we're getting a reaally heavy band here. I think further out in Montco and Chester Counties are getting screwed.

Sleet mixed with snow on the nortshore in Huntington on nassau/suffolk border. Steve dimartino NYNJPAweather says we are still southeast of the 850mb low and wont go back to snow till later tonight so a few hours of sleet so he expects my snowtotals around 12-15 aghhhhhh thought we were not supposed to have mixing issues!

snowing heavy here..in big storms when you get into a dry band..it mixes with sleet..i think very shortly your back to snow

Archived