amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heavy bands seem to have trouble making it from New Brunswick up to Somerset County westward, what do you guys think, perhaps a little lower amounts for these areas compared to the shore points and eastern Middlesex?

Radar shows the heavy bands starting to make their way into Somerset County, and the snow intensity is really starting to increase here. We still probably won't get as much as places like Monmouth and Ocean counties, but I think we'll still do well.

http://radar.weather...101111&loop=yes

Low looks like the low is bombing faster and hooking as we speak, or maybe I've been staring at the radar, water vapor and surface features for too long? Anyone else have input on that?

Mt. Holly still thinks Lehigh Valley can get 7", so they are expecting something, can't write this off even if I wanted to.

Sleet mixed with snow on the nortshore in Huntington on nassau/suffolk border. Steve dimartino NYNJPAweather says we are still southeast of the 850mb low and wont go back to snow till later tonight so a few hours of sleet so he expects my snowtotals around 12-15 aghhhhhh thought we were not supposed to have mixing issues!

The only way you're SE of the H85 low is if you're in a boat. It's still offshore of Ocean City, MD.

Suggestion to the mods/admins--could we split NYC and PHL areas for regional threads?

I'm in Gloucester County, NJ, 5 miles SE of PHL and I'm seeing some nice snows, and have for the last two hours. 26/25, 29.41, NNE 11mph, and probably 1/2 mi visibility in moderate snow and blowing snow. Will be out to measure shortly.

The only way you're SE of the H85 low is if you're in a boat. It's still offshore of Ocean City, MD.

Suggestion to the mods/admins--could we split NYC and PHL areas for regional threads?

I'm in Gloucester County, NJ, 5 miles SE of PHL and I'm seeing some nice snows, and have for the last two hours. 26/25, 29.41, NNE 11mph, and probably 1/2 mi visibility in moderate snow and blowing snow. Will be out to measure shortly.

Second that suggestion. PHL and NYC have had very different winter experiences the last two seasons.

My friend driving east on I-78 from P-burg says he was blowing by little cars doing 30mph in his 4x4 truck, and that the highways were barely treated, instead just a mess of blowing snow being kicked around by the cars. Insane: you would think this state, having no storms so far, would have a huge stockpile at the ready 48 hours before the snow hit

Anyone see how the precip shield keeps expanding in all directions on the radar? Anyone care to chime in about that as well, is that just the deepening?

The storm is approaching its closest point to you, so the snow is pivoting in your direction. Unfortunately, it probably won't much further since the heavy banding looks to be pivoting back east over Delaware/S Jersey. The storm is also deepening explosively right now, which is causing the thunderstorm and heavy rain/snow formation over the open Atlantic south of LI. Look for the dry areas over Suffolk to fill back in very soon and likely go to tremendous snowfall rates and thunder.

We have dual obs threads pinned. One for PHL, one for NYC.

Archived