• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00

3 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

It's funny to see people complain about a lack of heat in May when we're basically guaranteed 10 weeks of disgusting tropical weather every summer. Meanwhile those of us who enjoy the cold have to pray for a 3-day arctic blast or two to break up the 4 months of eternal November every winter.

Considering the temperature has been almost average...

19 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Im with you. This is a long shit slog of rain from Nov thru spring with temps in 40s and 50s. Then a summer of bugs and humidity. It is terrible.

Mentally, it is getting to be like the Pacific NW. Not good.

Worth a move out west to a sunny dry type climate (Denver/SLC) if you can swing it

Yea agree, I made a similar comment a while back that the climate here is becoming less appealing. Winters too warm for snow and Spring is just cool, wet and gloomy for weeks on end as we are often on the wrong side of BCDFs (at least DC and to a lesser extent Philly salvage more warm and sunnier days during this period).

And what makes it worse is how the weekends often are ending up wet - terrible for us with kids!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cfa said:

Same. Even average would be nice to have this time of year. We can barely get a string of 70’s going, May is just constant 50/60’s and wet/gloomy with a handful of 80/90’s interspersed, averaging out to 70-something.

when the sun was out a few days ago it was fascinating to see that giant sunspot migrate from the center of the sun to its southern edge-- it actually looked like tracking a storm on the sun day by day.

Long Island got deluged today.

3 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

Im with you. This is a long shit slog of rain from Nov thru spring with temps in 40s and 50s. Then a summer of bugs and humidity. It is terrible.

Mentally, it is getting to be like the Pacific NW. Not good.

Worth a move out west to a sunny dry type climate (Denver/SLC) if you can swing it

actually like a hellish combo of the Pac NW and the Gulf Coast lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Showers will depart tomorrow and the clouds could begin to break during the afternoon. However, partly to mostly cloudy conditions could persist throught the weekend. Further, additional showers are possible during the weekend.

In the wake of the system, readings will reach mainly the 60s through the weekend. No significant early-season heat is likely through at least the first three weeks of May. However, it could turn warmer next week.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.3°C for the week centered around May 8. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.08°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.73°C. Neutral conditions are now developing.

The SOI was +14.42 on May 13.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.387 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 52% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal May (1991-2020 normal). May will likely finish with a mean temperature near 63.3° (0.1° above normal).

Don why do we have so many storms all over the country this spring, one right after the other? This definitely isn't normal.

39 minutes ago, psv88 said:

More than that. Heavy rain moving west now. East end pushing 2 inches. Look at those feeder bands moving onshore. Looks like a tropical system. Windy out there too 

Models bring some heavier rain west, we'll see how much makes it here. So far IMBY everything's been light. But definitely a drencher E of the William Floyd.

18z GFS has NE or E winds straight through 144 hours. At the mercy of whatever the Maritimes puke up. 

42 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don why do we have so many storms all over the country this spring, one right after the other? This definitely isn't normal.

The pattern following the breakdown of a strong El Niño can sometimes be quite active in the spring. 1983, 1998, and 2010 are some examples.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

The pattern following the breakdown of a strong El Niño can sometimes be quite active in the spring. 1983, 1998, and 2010 are some examples.

I loved 1983 particularly for how hot that summer was, do you expect that again?

What kind of a September 1983 had WOW

2010 of course too, dry and hot!

24 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Global precipitable water was record highest, going back to 1948, partially because of the past El Nino. It just didn't really hit us until lately. 

https://ibb.co/z7gCHfH

We did have a wet Dec and Jan

May is also usually our cloudiest month (I-95)

It's been very wet going all the way back to that record precip event at the end of September last year, JFK had close to 10 inches in one day.

4 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Considering the temperature has been almost average...

Looking at seasonal models, there will be no shortage of hot and humid weather. 

Once the heat kicks in, it won't let go. People will be begging for cooler days in a few weeks. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

The weekend looks like the easterly flow will continue. Plenty of clouds around on Saturday. But models not showing much rain only a few showers and maybe some patchy drizzle in spots. Sunday may be the best chance for the clouds to break especially the further north you get. 

72143B85-B7BC-46A5-9194-DB1E44769A82.thumb.png.b8c41d77387b9598e7307613ff75d332.png

39BC31E5-597C-44E2-834F-F2A3D8A1DD87.thumb.png.15bd68f10bb9d5b6ba1682a77ec4841b.png

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

Looks like summer is coming...80 degree temps to start the week with 70s toward the end but we will see if we can break the awful weekends trend

This weather has been perfect . Feels like Autumn which I love besides winter. 

• Weenie 3

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

stop complaining and get yourself an air conditioner dude

hot dry weather is really good

i do have a.c  i do not want to go out in hot humid weather....  for many months.. i do not feel comfortable without my hoodie on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Global precipitable water was record highest, going back to 1948, partially because of the past El Nino. It just didn't really hit us until lately. 

https://ibb.co/z7gCHfH

We did have a wet Dec and Jan

May is also usually our cloudiest month (I-95)

I think last May was one of our sunniest in many years interestingly.  My solar panels recorded their highest monthly output for any month in the 11 years I've had them.  

• Like 2