• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This is nuts. My whole place suddenly swayed from side to side with all the shades swinging from side to side. I am just east of KHVN. I never felt anything like this before. It was one very strong jolt which was over in a few seconds.

Same. Pictures were coming off the wall. Absolutely nuts…everyone is outside currently 

• Like 5

That was so cool. Sitting in my car as it rocks back and forth! Thought it was the wind but it wasnt that windy! Such a rare but cool event, I remember the one back in August 2011

The one in 2011 I was in my car as well. Sitting at a light and it started to rock like a gust of wind blew it. Same sensation you had.

• Like 2

Just now, LibertyBell said:

it definitely didn't feel like a 4.8, the one in August 2011 was 5.8?  This felt MUCH stronger than that one and lasted a lot longer

That one was in Virginia, this one, although a little weaker, is a lot closer to home

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Same. Pictures were coming off the wall. Absolutely nuts…everyone is outside currently 

My friend in bay ridge said that his building was shaking and people ran out of the building.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This is nuts. My whole place suddenly swayed from side to side with all the shades swinging from side to side. I am just east of KHVN. I never felt anything like this before. It was one very strong jolt which was over in a few seconds.

I'm surprised you don't remember August 2011.  I enjoyed that one, this one felt  a lot stronger.

Can we find a connection between these and heavy rainfalls that happened just prior?  August 2011 was a very rainy month.  We've been in a very rainy pattern now too.

I remember reading scientific papers linking heavy rainfalls and earthquakes-- is it a possibility?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yeah, one very hard jolt from side to side here near KHVN. The shades were still swaying for around 5 seconds after it was over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm surprised you don't remember August 2011.  I enjoyed that one, this one felt  a lot stronger.

Can we find a connection between these and heavy rainfalls that happened just prior?  August 2011 was a very rainy month.  We've been in a very rainy pattern now too.

I remember reading scientific papers linking heavy rainfalls and earthquakes-- is it a possibility?

If you think about it, the rain adds millions of tons of weight on top of the ground. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some correlation. August 2011 was very wet just like this past March

• Like 1

Never felt one like that before.  Pictures are crooked on the wall,  light fixtures were swaying and dishes in the display cabinet were jiggling. 

Loud boom proceeded the shaking.  I thought for a second it was Picatinny but quickly realized it was a quake.  Was quite long one as quakes go around here.

• Like 4