amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Christmas Storm VII

Cold Rain

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had some spitting flakes around 12 here in Taylors,but by the time we got done with breakfast it had dissapated. The surface temps seemed to have dropped significantly in the last hour so guess its just a waiting game at this juncture...Bring on the snow!!!

folks to my east. Im in rutherfordton and we have close to 1" !! wrecks all over the place!It is coming. Went from 37 in Bostic to 33 and mod snow in Rutherfordton btw of hwy 74.using my cousins computer as my black berry is dead up here!!!!Mod sn

It just keeps coming down here. 3 inches already. Will this continue all day and night? Glad Bostic is finally in the mix!

3/4 of an inch in Kingsport, TN at the moment. Looks like the backside of the precipitation is quickly getting cut-off. The RUC implies there will be more activity in the 3-4 hr range...Not sure if that is more energy rotating through, or moisture sliding over the mountains.The cut-off line in E TN is going to be sharp.

3/4 of an inch in Kingsport, TN at the moment. Looks like the backside of the precipitation is quickly getting cut-off. The RUC implies there will be more activity in the 3-4 hr range...Not sure if that is more energy rotating through, or moisture sliding over the mountains.The cut-off line in E TN is going to be sharp.

I have noticed that too, kind of concerned the RUC may be off. I certainly don't understand where the back edge of this will set up, but most models give .4 to .5 qpf so I can't imagine it's to our east. Also, thanks for the update. My wife and I are about to leave to come home from Tazewell (heading over Clinch Mtn). I am a little concerned the RUC picks up the intensity, but if we don't leave now we might have issues after dark.

I have noticed that too, kind of concerned the RUC may be off. I certainly don't understand where the back edge of this will set up, but most models give .4 to .5 qpf so I can't imagine it's to our east. Also, thanks for the update. My wife and I are about to leave to come home from Tazewell (heading over Clinch Mtn). I am a little concerned the RUC picks up the intensity, but if we don't leave now we might have issues after dark.

I would say unless something drastic happens that's beyond my weather hobbiest pay grade...Precip looks to be cutting off pretty quickly. The cut-off on precip is one county to my west. But the RUC has been pretty consistent that this is not the end of it. Where I am at a complete loss is what is happening w/ the energy to our northwest. It is possible, but seemingly unlikely, that it may interact to enhance snowfall later on here in NE TN. Have a safe trip!

too me the radar looks terrible i think im in weenie panic mode as well i need someone to give an explanation as to why it looks so bad right now?

Well the precip in NC now I believe is with a northern stream impulse and our coastal is still far to the south.

I would say unless something drastic happens that's beyond my weather hobbiest pay grade...Precip looks to be cutting off pretty quickly. The cut-off on precip is one county to my west. But the RUC has been pretty consistent that this is not the end of it. Where I am at a complete loss is what is happening w/ the energy to our northwest. It is possible, but seemingly unlikely, that it may interact to enhance snowfall later on here in NE TN. Have a safe trip!

That's what I am thinking too. My wife is telling me let's go (which for me isn't a problem - I have a 4wheel drive). She has a front wheel drive mini-van. The only thing that concerns me a little bit is the RUC. She just asked me if we should stay another day and I honesly have no clue. Looking at radar trends I say yes. Looking at the RUC I say hmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe not. What to do, what to do....

I think the precip currently in Kentucky and Middle Tennessee, which looks to be associated with 500 mb vorticity advection, should enhance the precip in Tennessee a bit in the coming hours. I think that's what the RUC is picking up on.

lolz at lest for me I expected this to start around 4 - 6 p.m. thought there might be an outside chance of early snow but I have no idea why everyone got in their head this would start so early?

Honestly I think the cliff diving and panic that even I have felt is because we have been following this for soo long we are just impatient.

Archived