e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Christmas Storm VII

Cold Rain

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to get the forces of the universe to give you MORE snow because you sink into a bottomless pit of despair before the event starts. Therefore, the universe feels sorry for you and you get more.

No, I genuinely don't think this is going to be a great storm. Temps are so warm and the trends keep getting worse.

No, I genuinely don't think this is going to be a great storm. Temps are so warm and the trends keep getting worse.

Yeah they are in the 80s! :whistle:.. Dew points are in the low 20s. Your temperatures should drop to the low 30s once precip moves in. Plus I dont even think the layer of warmth (The surface) is warm enough to melt it once you wet bulb.

I rarely walk away with better totals. Certainly not with any of the winter storms in '10, both last winter and this winter.

Well if its any consolation, the RUC has the 850 low starting here and become double contour by the time it gets to you, then begins turning northeast, so you'll be sitting pretty for a while I think. Just have to be patient.

Well fwiw, gainesville was in the low 40s a couple of hours ago with wetbulbs in the mid 30s. They have had snow now though for 2 hours or so and the temp is 33/34. The cold air is not far off the surface and despite the warm surface temps, it shouldn't take long to change over as evidenced by gainesville.

Yep, only .01 here. At least I'm not losing anything much to get cooling, lol. I've lost 2 degrees to 38 now. Hope my 997' helps in the end. Glad to see the snow expanding south west of B'ham...that'll swing thru here eventually.

Nice job you are doing with all the weather toys! Thanks. T

You will probably change over before that swings through, I hope.

Foothills,

Sorry if you've already posted this, if you did I missed it. The enhancement that you and Lookout have been discussing that effects NE GA thru the Upstate into WNC - where do you think the eastern boundary that benefits from this will be?

Thanks,

John

I'd say roughly CLT west, But better chances the further west. It may even rotate on down more into eastern GA and western SC the most . But we'll see.

Foothills,

Sorry if you've already posted this, if you did I missed it. The enhancement that you and Lookout have been discussing that effects NE GA thru the Upstate into WNC - where do you think the eastern boundary that benefits from this will be?

Thanks,

John

There is no way to really know, but we have a chance and that's all we can ask for. We may luck out or we may not, won't know until it's on us. Hate to be so vague but really that's how it goes. Robert might have a better explanation for you.

I'd say roughly CLT west, But better chances the further west. It may even rotate on down more into eastern GA and western SC the most . But we'll see.

Thanks! I'm on the east side of the Metro and hoping for the best for all of us! :snowman: :snowman:

Looking at radar it looks like the surface low is starting to really crank so I think a lot of people will be happy this evening. :thumbsup:

There is no way to really know, but we have a chance and that's all we can ask for. We may luck out or we may not, won't know until it's on us. Hate to be so vague but really that's how it goes. Robert might have a better explanation for you.

Thanks Burger! I've got a really good feeling about tonight - maybe some Christmas magic for us! :whistle:

Robert,

I am staring at the cliff man! NOT EVEN RAIN has fallen yet. Temp at 40-41. Kick in the nutz...

Step away from the ledge you have everything to live for! You're in a perfect spot my man. Again this wasn't supposed to start for us until around 6 tonight so don't know why people are getting worried. I'm not going to worry till about 8 tonight.

i wonder where the best lift will occur tonight in the foothills more toward hky morganton lenoir or further south toward shelby?

I'm hoping (not a met here) that it's near Foothills, Burger, and Lookout. They deserve it after all of the expertise and PBP they've given all week. I've learned a great deal in the background here watching this storm. Thanks to you all for what you do !!! Fading back to the background... and just enjoying watching it unfold, come what may !!!

Step away from the ledge you have everything to live for! You're in a perfect spot my man. Again this wasn't supposed to start for us until around 6 tonight so don't know why people are getting worried. I'm not going to worry till about 8 tonight.

Are you guys not getting anything with those returns overhead?

Robert -- you wouldn't believe the sharp cut off on accumulations. I know this will only mean something to a few of you, but I live off of Peach Street in Shelby. I buddy tipped me off and I got in my car -- I drove less than a 1/2 mile -- to Wyke Road across from Jefferson school and the temperature dropped 2 degrees and it was a winter wonderland -- snow all over the ground and starting to stick on the roads. Unreal!

Yep, we see this a lot. It happened last year in the Feb. storm, but that was extremely fine, light snow throughout. Other than that, you probably have to go back a long way to get a storm track like this, maybe the 80's, but I remember it well, and was always fascinated by the continuation of snow just when i thought it was over. By the way , just started raining here 10 minutes ago and its still all rain. Normally, I'd love to see the rain, but not this time LOL. I'm sure it will be turning soon.

Archived