Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Discobs 2024

George BM

10 hours ago, katabatic said:

So it ends. Let the long journey home commence. Based on additional snowfall yesterday and last night, ended up with 130 inches. Too expensive, somewhat irresponsible, totally impulsive, achingly laborious. And I will look back with nary an ounce of regret as this was the best tasting chicken soup for the soul I could have imagined. 

IMG_1697-compressed.jpeg

That place is pure HEAVEN. Look at all that snow! Just wow! You got nearly ELEVEN FEET! I'd be digging and blasting tracks and wallowing in deep deep drifts at 3am in the morning when everyone is fast asleep! I would have KILLED just to have had a chance to SEE that strong wind blow that snow around! I LOVE the Sierras with all my heart! That region will NEVER EVER let you down! EVER! I will worship and worship and worship and worship and worship and worship and worship and worship and worship those Sierras and all that deep deep snow and all those crazy 190 mph winds blowing that pow in huge clouds that gray out everything and shut down I 80 for days and days and days!

This song by Billy Joel will always remind me of the awesome Sierras and the deep snows and 190 mph winds! I have been blasting this puppy LOUD as all hell for the past few days! I KNOW what I saw out of a camera at Mammoth! 120 mph winds blowing tons of pow right off a lodge roof! I wub that stuff and worship that the very same way ppl worship g-d! I am right back to my high school crazies! HELL, I am fookin' WORSE! Relatives are already shaking their heads lmfao! I am a 60 yr old man all happy and giddy as a little kid over a crrazy Ivan snowstorm high up in the Sierras!

You need to blast this puppy at at least 120 decibels to get the proper effect!

21 hours ago, snownut said:

Spent 5 days at the VA home.  Signs of spring everywhere and wow it was so muddy! 

Got back to OR yesterday afternoon in time for another little snow here at the house.  Just measured and 3.5" overnight and 26 degrees.  Looks like is going to be 2nd or 3rd snowiest winter out of my 10 winters here. 

I work at Mt Bachelor tomorrow morning then plan to ski.  Around 50" since my last shift so conditions should be epic.  Deep solid base with 4 plus feet of powder snow on top.  

Check out the cam comparison photo at the top of Cloud Chaser lift.  First one was the snow cover back in November and then screen shot from yesterday with snow level half way up that tree.  Looks like another 8" on the snow stake last night.  

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.841430fbf6a348371d23d33e63bcc23a.jpegIMG_3573.thumb.jpeg.f2eb9d1cc0777271a4452186b36ea4cd.jpeg

You are gonna have so much fun in the white room! FOUR FEET of POW! You better strap on a snorkel, because massive face shots will be everywhere! Have the time of your life! Carve us out some deep prodigious turns in all that pow! Hope you guys get even MORE deep pow!

Wow man, I am so happy for you but I am also so full of jealousy! All the fresh snow! Imagine all the deep stashes! Watch it when you go off piste! Snow Immersion accidents happen and you have very deep snow! Always bring along a partner on a deep pow day! Carry an avalanche beacon and avalung if you can.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Moderate rain here. Looks like another soaker coming up the bay. It's going to be a wet day and night. I'm actually thinking about doing a rain hike this afternoon. 

Our mesonet sites on the eastern shore are showing at least 1/2" of rain for the day. The speed of the system seems a bit faster than modeled maybe?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Our mesonet sites on the eastern shore are showing at least 1/2" of rain for the day. The speed of the system seems a bit faster than modeled maybe?

I feel like it's a little west on the first round. Euro had this round cut off over the bay. It seems about 40 miles further west. 

The rain needs to stop. Enough already. But this is typical... rain when we don't need it. No worries this summer is sure to be a drought-fest (when we really will need the rain). I want to move so bad.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:00 AM, Jebman said:

You are gonna have so much fun in the white room! FOUR FEET of POW! You better strap on a snorkel, because massive face shots will be everywhere! Have the time of your life! Carve us out some deep prodigious turns in all that pow! Hope you guys get even MORE deep pow!

Wow man, I am so happy for you but I am also so full of jealousy! All the fresh snow! Imagine all the deep stashes! Watch it when you go off piste! Snow Immersion accidents happen and you have very deep snow! Always bring along a partner on a deep pow day! Carry an avalanche beacon and avalung if you can.

Jebman,

Skied hard for 2 hours after my shift. My legs get toasted at my age!

The summit lift lines were too long so I skied all the mid to base trails.  Basically empty since the crowds were powder chasing off the summit and west side bowls.  Hard to capture how much snow there is.  The cut out for the crossover ( See photo with ski patrol ) shows pretty well what a 155" base looks like.  Two more clear days and warmer but still more nice snows coming this weekend.  

It was pretty darn cold last night. Clear and calm with fresh snowcover so 7 degrees this morning. 

Picture one is yesterday morning with my dogs. Forecast was 1-3" then is snowed until 2:30 in the afternoon and I measured 5-1/2" at my house

Other pictures are today.  That is a 2 story lodge so its buried past the first floor.  

2116046557_IMG_3578(1).thumb.jpeg.5fefcb2f514a64e6fc4e9ed57741d240.jpeg531887457_IMG_3617(1).thumb.jpeg.981a4d58d2edf2eb0575464d7b647760.jpegIMG_3627.thumb.jpeg.00c0fd0713412ea4592b602857b7dd86.jpeg1225816408_IMG_3616(1).thumb.jpeg.c2d311a23005171ac4b0086dadbe72f8.jpegIMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.afffece67e48992190e98c1b130b6742.jpeg

• Like 18

I am absolutely in heartfelt love with the Sierras and all the snow there! Every Billy Joel track is beginning to remind me of the major Sierran snowstorm with its Category 5 wind gusts! I have been blasting all Billy Joel's tracks for days and now my relatives are not the only ones shaking their heads. Texans have never seen me in full snow love mode like this. This is now an all-out infatuation with everything Sierran, everything snow, everything skiing! I am in full Cambrian explosion love with that storm! This, from just watching a CAMERA in Mammoth! Imagine what I'd be like if I had actually been there! I don't like blizzards with 100 mph gusts. I like Sierran Blizzards with 190 mph gusts! The Northeast officially sucks, it is the Florida Peninsula in August. All the mountains in the northeast get is 4 feet of snow with 90 mph gusts. That's pedestrian! I saw those YouTube vids with motorists stranded on I-80 with 100 mph wind gusts blowing pow all over them with zero visibilities! Drifts 7 feet tall!

I KNOW what I saw! I have nothing but PURE LOVE for that blowing snow! I absolutely WORSHIP, on bended knee, in full supplication, with tears coming out of my eyes in eternal gratitude, the way I should be doing with G-d, the blessed eleven feet of fresh snow in Donner! I am absolutely, perfectly crrazy for the severe blizzards in the Sierra! ELEVEN FEET! I'd be digging snow for MONTHS in perfect bliss! Those guys get 60/36 weather in Summer! That snow will to all intents and purposes, never melt!

Take a gander at the 8200 foot Scope at Palisades! They have removed most of the ginormous drift there but you get the idea, that snow is DEEP!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

DONT LOOK NOW, BUT IT IS SNOWING IN MAMMOTH AGAIN!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snownut said:

Jebman,

Skied hard for 2 hours after my shift. My legs get toasted at my age!

The summit lift lines were too long so I skied all the mid to base trails.  Basically empty since the crowds were powder chasing off the summit and west side bowls.  Hard to capture how much snow there is.  The cut out for the crossover ( See photo with ski patrol ) shows pretty well what a 160" base looks like.  Two more clear days and warmer but still more nice snows coming this weekend.  

It was pretty darn cold last night. Clear and calm with fresh snowcover so 7 degrees this morning. 

Picture one is yesterday morning with my dogs. Forecast was 1-3" then is snowed until 2:30 in the afternoon and I measured 5-1/2" at my house

Other pictures are today.  That is a 2 story lodge so its buried past the first floor.  

2116046557_IMG_3578(1).thumb.jpeg.5fefcb2f514a64e6fc4e9ed57741d240.jpeg531887457_IMG_3617(1).thumb.jpeg.981a4d58d2edf2eb0575464d7b647760.jpegIMG_3627.thumb.jpeg.00c0fd0713412ea4592b602857b7dd86.jpeg1225816408_IMG_3616(1).thumb.jpeg.c2d311a23005171ac4b0086dadbe72f8.jpegIMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.afffece67e48992190e98c1b130b6742.jpeg

Many thanks, snownut for your pics and narrative. I see you love skiing and snow! I wub these precious snow pics so much! I must add the Cascades and Mt Bachelor to my Promised Land Destinations! I yearn to roll around in some of the deep deep powder in the middle of the night when everyone is fast asleep! I want to stroll through a lot of pristine DRIFTS, too, on the sly in the middle of the night! I might need to drop by that lodge and volunteer to dig it out! I will demonstrate Jebman Standards! You guys are gonna need all the help diggin out you can get !

I fervently hope you get palisaded with more deep deep powder soon. I hope you get in some spectacular skiing in very deep powder and stay very safe! Enjoy all that snow and hopefully much much much MORE!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jebman said:

Many thanks, snownut for your pics and narrative. I see you love skiing and snow! I wub these precious snow pics so much! I must add the Cascades and Mt Bachelor to my Promised Land Destinations! I yearn to roll around in some of the deep deep powder in the middle of the night when everyone is fast asleep! I want to stroll through a lot of pristine DRIFTS, too, on the sly in the middle of the night! I might need to drop by that lodge and volunteer to dig it out! I will demonstrate Jebman Standards! You guys are gonna need all the help diggin out you can get !

I fervently hope you get palisaded with more deep deep powder soon. I hope you get in some spectacular skiing in very deep powder and stay very safe! Enjoy all that snow and hopefully much much much MORE!!!!!!!!!

One of my parking crew buddies yesterday.. Pretty tall snowbanks. 

IMG_3608.thumb.jpeg.9777a97fdd3d1b0be886323021e832fc.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/7/2024 at 11:03 AM, CAPE said:

Lots of buds on the trees with some leaf out here at work in Easton. March is the new April.

We are already at 70 percent leafout, already TWO highs in the low 90s. Many days dewpoints in the mid/upper 60s. March is the new early May. New base state is demolishing everything, except my beloved Sierran Cordillera! Cascadian Cordillera, too! :)

The FIG TREE has already sprouted new leaves and some branches had already grown out 6-8 inches! Wow we are starting our growing season so EARLY!!! We hit 84 today!

50 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Headed quickly into another drought. 

Still early , but if Saturday's rainfall ends up being mainly east of the Blue Ridge once again or we dry slot,  gotta wonder if we are headed that way again.... The early trend is definitely there....

Dale City just got us beaten on rain tallies so far this year. We are still 11.00, Dale City is now 11.72. Charles Town comes in with 11.30 inches of rain in 2024.

Meanwhile it is snowing again at Mammoth

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

Flurries also at Palisades

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=palisades

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=alpine

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic