Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

To be honest the highs there are every bit as warm as the lows, ha.  After all that discussion the highs were really +10F down there?  The way folks talk it sounded like +2 or +3.  :lol:

That’s my point. The highs were +8 to +10 for the first 18 days of March for all, it’s not swayed warm at all bc of the lows, the highs and lows are equally torched this month. Thats highly anomalous .  Yes it will change and come back to earth. But we had a really nice 18 day stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, alex said:

Skin conditions were amazing today with the 3” fresh powder from last night. Glades were open and skied great, and you could still find untouched snow at 2 pm. Everyone has given up lol

I bet they were, especially when crowds are down or even out.  Spring skiing is the best jmo <3

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alex said:

Skin conditions were amazing today with the 3” fresh powder from last night. Glades were open and skied great, and you could still find untouched snow at 2 pm. Everyone has given up lol

Sugarbush did not disappoint. A solid 4-6 inches of fresh snow mountain wide last night. Open to 1PM delivered mid-winter like skiing after +foot dump two weekends ago.

IMG_7049.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Friday Night into Monday:

This period is more uncertain with below normal forecast confidence
given the differences in 500 mb evolution alluded to above. It does
look like rain develops later Fri night into Sat where PoPs were
increased into the likely to low categorical range for Sat. With
enough colder air in place at outside, precip may begin as brief wet
snow with perhaps some minor sub-Advisory accumulation in interior
Southern New England, but rain is likely to predominate. Rain may
continue or linger into the balance of the weekend, particularly
into southeast New England, and I opted to deviate from the dry NBM
to carry a lower Chance PoP mention for Sun into Mon. EPS and GEFS
show 24-hr rainfall probs Sat into early Sun that are in the
moderate to high range (50-80%) for a half inch or more of rain,
moderate (30-50%) for an inch or more of rain, and low (10-20%) for
24-hr rains over 2 inches. If higher rainfall materializes from a
stronger/slower solution, the potential would increase for areal
flooding; while astro tides are on the low side (~9.50 ft MLLW for
Boston Harbor) persistent onshore flow would also bring the risk for
splashover or minor coastal flooding. Potential for large forecast
changes in the coming days given the current model solution spread
for this period, so stay tuned!

Snow?

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:
Friday Night into Monday:

This period is more uncertain with below normal forecast confidence
given the differences in 500 mb evolution alluded to above. It does
look like rain develops later Fri night into Sat where PoPs were
increased into the likely to low categorical range for Sat. With
enough colder air in place at outside, precip may begin as brief wet
snow with perhaps some minor sub-Advisory accumulation in interior
Southern New England, but rain is likely to predominate. Rain may
continue or linger into the balance of the weekend, particularly
into southeast New England, and I opted to deviate from the dry NBM
to carry a lower Chance PoP mention for Sun into Mon. EPS and GEFS
show 24-hr rainfall probs Sat into early Sun that are in the
moderate to high range (50-80%) for a half inch or more of rain,
moderate (30-50%) for an inch or more of rain, and low (10-20%) for
24-hr rains over 2 inches. If higher rainfall materializes from a
stronger/slower solution, the potential would increase for areal
flooding; while astro tides are on the low side (~9.50 ft MLLW for
Boston Harbor) persistent onshore flow would also bring the risk for
splashover or minor coastal flooding. Potential for large forecast
changes in the coming days given the current model solution spread
for this period, so stay tuned!

Snow?

Looks more like ass.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Disagree. All summers are hot but not all winters are cold. 

This is a great post. 

This illustrates beautifully that the terms hot and cold are subjective. I mean what is truly considered hot and what is considered cold? You could ask 100 different people to define each and you'll probably get 90 different answers. 

We actually used to debate this in some of my classes. When is it appropriate to use hot and cold? 

One person may think 87 is hot...one may think 87 is warm. So who is correct? 

Well this is why it's important to understand what climo is and what the records are. If the average high for the day is 77 and the high is 87...you can certainly make an argument it is hot. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is hot. It's certainly well above-average and that isn't debatable. 

For colder season, some people may think 30 is cold, while you have some people who can walk around in shorts. So, is it cold? is it not? If the average high is 21 well 30 certainly isn't as "cold" relative but that doesn't mean it's not cold. If the average high is 45...well you can make an argument 30 is cold but that doesn't mean it's cold. 

4 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

July 2006? I thought you were born in 1988

I didn't even notice the year :lol: 

I want to say that pic was 2013 or 2012

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCHurricane said:

Sugarbush did not disappoint. A solid 4-6 inches of fresh snow mountain wide last night. Open to 1PM delivered mid-winter like skiing after +foot dump two weekends ago.

IMG_7049.jpeg

Looks incredible.  But Why was it only open til 1 pm? 

29 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is a great post. 

This illustrates beautifully that the terms hot and cold are subjective. I mean what is truly considered hot and what is considered cold? You could ask 100 different people to define each and you'll probably get 90 different answers. 

We actually used to debate this in some of my classes. When is it appropriate to use hot and cold? 

One person may think 87 is hot...one may think 87 is warm. So who is correct? 

Well this is why it's important to understand what climo is and what the records are. If the average high for the day is 77 and the high is 87...you can certainly make an argument it is hot. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is hot. It's certainly well above-average and that isn't debatable. 

For colder season, some people may think 30 is cold, while you have some people who can walk around in shorts. So, is it cold? is it not? If the average high is 21 well 30 certainly isn't as "cold" relative but that doesn't mean it's not cold. If the average high is 45...well you can make an argument 30 is cold but that doesn't mean it's cold. 

I didn't even notice the year :lol: 

I want to say that pic was 2013 or 2012

I’m just referring to how people generally view the seasons. No one I know has ever recalled a summer that was below normal because heat is heat generally speaking. Whether it is 85 or 95, people are out doing summer things and will recall the summer based on rain/no rain rather than AN or BN temps. However, winter is completely different. People I know recall winters as “bad” (cold and snowy) or “not bad” (warm and minimal snow). Winter temps stick out much more than summer temps because a 10F difference in the summer is barely noticeable compared to a 10F difference in winter which may coincide with precip type.

Both of my closest neighbors we share a private road know the past two winters are warm and snowless which is obvious because we all chip in for plowing. We’ve barely needed the service. But if you ask them how have the past two summers been, they’ll shrug and say hot. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m just referring to how people generally view the seasons. No one I know has ever recalled a summer that was below normal because heat is heat generally speaking. Whether it is 85 or 95, people are out doing summer things and will recall the summer based on rain/no rain rather than AN or BN temps. However, winter is completely different. People I know recall winters as “bad” (cold and snowy) or “not bad” (warm and minimal snow). Winter temps stick out much than summer temps because a 10F difference in the summer is barely noticeable compared to a 10F difference in winter which coincides with precip type.

Both of my closest neighbors we share a private road know the past two winters are warm and snowless which is obvious because we all chip in for plowing. We’ve barely needed the service. But if you ask them how have the past two summers been, they’ll shrug and say hot.  

I see what you're saying, this makes sense. Can't disagree with how this is laid out.

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m just referring to how people generally view the seasons. No one I know has ever recalled a summer that was below normal because heat is heat generally speaking. Whether it is 85 or 95, people are out doing summer things and will recall the summer based on rain/no rain rather than AN or BN temps. However, winter is completely different. People I know recall winters as “bad” (cold and snowy) or “not bad” (warm and minimal snow). Winter temps stick out much than summer temps because a 10F difference in the summer is barely noticeable compared to a 10F difference in winter which coincides with precip type.

Well I think most folks can tell the difference…(and it’s a big difference) between 85 and 95 degrees in the summer. That’s a very big difference in the summer and in the sensible weather feel. But I see your point otherwise, and agree for the most part.  

I worked outside everyday in the summer for a lot of years…and 85 was a cake walk…but 95 is alot rougher on the body. Huge difference there for sure.