Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

How one perceives sensible weather is also irrelevant. Data is just that...it is data and doesn't account for personal opinion or feeling. If this March at station x turns out to be +15 for the month and that same station was +15 in 2012, well then this month was just anomalous at that location, regardless of how the +15 resulted. 

Today is below-average across the region, however, when looking at it from a sensible approach, some people may find today rather decent, especially with the stronger sun angle. Some people may find today pretty lousy with the chilly wind and colder feel in the shade. But regardless of what one thinks, it doesn't change the fact that today is below-average for where we should be. 

Right.

I get what a means, though....2012 was more sensibly appealing.

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

What’s up with the Euro and that icestorm Sunday , crazy model 

This was mentioned this morning from Bob Maxon on WVIT. He had made mention that the rain could linger from Sunday into Monday...... even Gil Simmons on WTNH mentioned Sunday night to Monday with a possibility of some sleet or freezing rain.... So it was mentioned this morning

19 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Fairly close to average, actually.

the lows this morning were probably pretty close to average, maybe even a few ticks above but even still, today is probably a good several degrees below average across many areas. Average high for BDL is around 50 and they're at 44. Average high for BTV is 44 and they at 35.

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

How one perceives sensible weather is also irrelevant. Data is just that...it is data and doesn't account for personal opinion or feeling. If this March at station x turns out to be +15 for the month and that same station was +15 in 2012, well then this month was just anomalous at that location, regardless of how the +15 resulted. 

Today is below-average across the region, however, when looking at it from a sensible approach, some people may find today rather decent, especially with the stronger sun angle. Some people may find today pretty lousy with the chilly wind and colder feel in the shade. But regardless of what one thinks, it doesn't change the fact that today is below-average for where we should be. 

Bullshit. Let's play a game. What if a month in summer is normal but dews were in the upper 60s and 70s every day. Would you remember it as a normal summer month or a hot one. Sensible matters otherwise you wouldn't have heat index and wind chill

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

the lows this morning were probably pretty close to average, maybe even a few ticks above but even still, today is probably a good several degrees below average across many areas. Average high for BDL is around 50 and they're at 44. Average high for BTV is 44 and they at 35.

Yeah I was speaking for bos/orh, their average highs are like mid-u40's and that's basically what we have today

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

People will probably remember years where we had some extreme summer heat (such as 1995) but nobody is going to remember we had a stretch of 70-80+ days in March a decade ago. 

Nobody remembers summer heat. 88 or 100 is hot. People can’t tell the difference. What they do remember is cold and snowy winters. Unfortunately those don’t happen anymore…

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm not going to argue that March 2024 hasn't departed way to the warm side (because it has so far and most certainly will end that way), but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the bolded text.

Take a hypothetical (admittedly extreme) scenario where the first half of March is departed -30 degrees, and the last half, +30 degrees. If you've binned the data by the month, you'd end up with a mean departure of 0 degrees. However, the statement, "March had a mean temperature that did not depart from the historical mean, therefore the temperature for the month of March was not anomalous, historically.", seems fundamentally untrue. You had crazy temperature swings and record breaking periods of hot and cold! You just don't see that at a monthly resolution.

To produce a mean you have to bin the data in some timeframe though, and I guess monthly makes just as much sense as any other timeframe.

I guess what I'm saying is that using mean temperature as a hard descriptor of how anomalous a month was temperature-wise is unsound. Or kinda pointless, I dunno.

Shit, this is really just semantics I guess. Anyway, I'm not a met, just a dumbass, so, two cents, yadda yadda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I'm not going to argue that March 2024 hasn't departed way to the warm side (because it has so far and most certainly will end that way), but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the bolded text.

Take a hypothetical (admittedly extreme) scenario where the first half of March is departed -30 degrees, and the last half, +30 degrees. If you've binned the data by the month, you'd end up with a mean departure of 0 degrees. However, the statement, "March had a mean temperature that did not depart from the historical mean, therefore the temperature for the month of March was not anomalous, historically.", seems fundamentally untrue. You had crazy temperature swings and record breaking periods of hot and cold! You just don't see that at a monthly resolution.

To produce a mean you have to bin the data in some timeframe though, and I guess monthly makes just as much sense as any other timeframe.

I guess what I'm saying is that using mean temperature as a hard descriptor of how anomalous a month was temperature-wise is unsound. Or kinda pointless, I dunno.

Shit, this is really just semantics I guess. Anyway, I'm not a met, just a dumbass, so, two cents, yadda yadda.

This doesn't matter unless you are measuring purely daily max temps. We are speaking of daily temps in general, which encompasses night time lows.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This doesn't matter unless you are measuring purely daily max temps. We are speaking of daily temps in general, which encompasses night time lows.

Yeah, I know. In my hypothetical scenario the first half is departed on average by minus 30 degrees, and the last half, by plus 30. An extreme example, but this includes avg temp for the whole 24 hour day. I'm not talking max or min averages.

Just now, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Yeah, I know. In my hypothetical scenario the first half is departed on average by minus 30 degrees, and the last half, by plus 30. An extreme example, but this includes avg temp for the whole 24 hour day. I'm not talking max or min averages.

Well, in that case the departure is zero....but that isn't the case this month...far from it.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What are the daily max temp departures MTD? I’m not a fan of Including night time lows. Those are obviously getting warmer.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I only have access to that for past months...not sure...probably slightly above average.

Yea that’s what it’s felt like.  AN daily maxes but nothing like 2012. Im sure the month ends slightly AN with daily maxes and rages way AN with daily mins.  

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, in that case the departure is zero....but that isn't the case this month...far from it.

Oh, I should make it clear that I'm fully in the March has been anomalous in its warmth camp, I'm just generically warning against the use of means/averages as be-all end-all descriptors.

This month torchy.

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What are the daily max temp departures MTD? I’m not a fan of Including night time lows. Those are obviously getting warmer.

just for the highs through yesterday..

BDL+10.3 (+9.5 on lows)
ORH +8.9

BDR +9.4

it’s been a very warm March even more so just from a high temp perspective. Obviously we will probably need be up somewhere around +5 for highs after this chilly week ahead. 

IMG_3265.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Bullshit. Let's play a game. What if a month in summer is normal but dews were in the upper 60s and 70s every day. Would you remember it as a normal summer month or a hot one. Sensible matters otherwise you wouldn't have heat index and wind chill

Sensible weather matters to the individual but I'm talking about this more from a data standpoint/historical perspective. 

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nobody remembers summer heat. 88 or 100 is hot. People can’t tell the difference. What they do remember is cold and snowy winters. Unfortunately those don’t happen anymore…

That's not true at all, people will remember both. Through conversations with many people I've heard them recall years or summers which had sweltering heat. People are going to remember what was most impactful to them or what was engraved in their brain by media. Instances of cold and/or alot of snow or periods of high heat/humidity are phenomena which will sit in people's minds.

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

In other news besides the well above average day time highs this Match we’ve had so far similar to the first half of March 2012…

Minnesota looks to have potential for an all time snowstorm late this weekend. 

It's unlikely survive the relay from mid into shorter range based on model history.  That area geography up there has it even worse than we do with mid range 'big deal' verification.

we'll see