• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

This was sort of like trying to forecast rainfall amounts in a thunderstorm except most people have no idea if they got half an inch or 1". If most people get a thunderstorm and some don't it's certainly not a bust.

But with snow if you're not in that range people will say bust. But how do you forecast for this? Most people saw 2 to 4 but some saw 3x as much nearby. You can't just say 2 to 10 or 2 to 4 with isolated amounts of 8 to 12

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

This was sort of like trying to forecast rainfall amounts in a thunderstorm except most people have no idea if they got half an inch or 1". If most people get a thunderstorm and some don't it's certainly not a bust.

But with snow if you're not in that range people will say bust. But how do you forecast for this? Most people saw 2 to 4 but some saw 3x as much nearby. You can't just say 2 to 10 or 2 to 4 with isolated amounts of 8 to 12

Crazy. Can't believe I got 8 inches here when we were only expecting a few. This winter went from being terrible to not bad in the snowfall department for our area this week. Great storm!

• Like 4

On 2/15/2024 at 8:22 AM, SBUWX23 said:

the big unknown is if snow growth isnt the best, if you are not dendrites the habit could lower your ratio even its cold. Temperature is only one part of the equation. 

snow growth was fine at my location 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Crazy. Can't believe I got 8 inches here when we were only expecting a few. This winter went from being terrible to not bad in the snowfall department for our area this week. 

Yeah when I stepped outside I couldn't believe it was that much.  I figured 4 or 5 eyeballing it. That's why you always need to get out there with the ruler

• Like 2

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Crazy. Can't believe I got 8 inches here when we were only expecting a few. This winter went from being terrible to not bad in the snowfall department for our area this week. 

these types of storms are very difficult to predict till the last few hours prior - we could have easily missed out on the heavy band....

• Like 3

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah when I stepped outside I couldn't believe it was that much.  I figured 4 or 5 eyeballing it. That's why you always need to get out there with the ruler

same here obviously - you could call this storm a bust for many but these systems are difficult to predict as Upton and MT. Holly were chasing their tails last night issuing winter storm warnings in now casting mode....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

these types of storms are very difficult to predict till the last few hours prior - we could have easily missed out on the heavy band....

You would hope what is supposed to be a highly skilled short range model like HRRR would be able to pick up on something like this, but no. Late last night it was still insisting only a few inches. 

17 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The SPC HREF max had the right idea with the 8-10” forecast even though the cutoff north of Staten Island to the South Shore was sharper.

34298614-C8D0-47E0-9933-238F37EC5D72.thumb.jpeg.5a5cd6a7ae4dc294a6ffc0919184f9c8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Damn DC was under a Winter Storm Warning and only got 0.1.

I saw that too lol. Snow started late, ended early, and was really mild heading preceeding the snow. Temps was slower to drop off than predicted heading into it. They had a long way to go from the 50s during the day. I don't think they got into the heavy snow rates needed.