Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I have to admit I did not see this one coming. I still think your going to see the highest totals just outside the urban heat island and the immediate coast do to the marginal airmass at the start. But anyone even urban areas, that gets into the ccb with 2”+ hour rates will have no problem accumulating. I’m thinking big giant flakes. This is going to be a pure snow globe event. Hopefully minimal tree damage and power outages. 

Isn't this really the time of year when this kinda thing can happen though....read somewhere the NA's used to call it the snow moon or something; my neighbor's birthday is coming up and he said all his life it has been snow near his birthday.

6Z.HRRR. then 00z/excessive HRRR, and the 7Z/12 NBM. Definitely concerned about what happens south of I80.  I just dont know... too much uncertainty because of sfc temps which I doubt drop below 32 or 33.   AND no guarantees on area best lift. Model variability still looks large to me. Back at 10A. 

image.thumb.png.d1db7c232aee8be7582d3e0412f47612.pngimage.thumb.png.9583c19d9094ee13e81ab612e99487c8.pngimage.thumb.png.d3839bebfd108266715aed9ba96daa16.png

• Like 1

Isn't this really the time of year when this kinda thing can happen though....read somewhere the NA's used to call it the snow moon or something; my neighbor's birthday is coming up and he said all his life it has been snow near his birthday.

First half of February is always the snowiest here.

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I have an early January bday and up until recently always had snow on ground or falling within 24 hours of it. As someone else said, February was always best for snow, but it has warmed so much its all out the window

43 minutes ago, Albedoman said:
  8 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I admire you sticking to  your call but the thing that bothers me in this run  is there is one hell of a discrepancy of 6 inches vs 17 inches. Thats nearly an inch or so more of available precipitable water for snow making.  LIke I said another 8 hour run or so should iron some of it out. But even if I took half of that extra precip out this run, it would still meet winter storm warning easily. 8-12+ in seems more in line if this trend continues

Yep,  Mt Holly went with my old fart thoughts. We actually got our warning in the LV before the snow event Time to celebrate- the warning drought is over  LOL 

I also feel much better after reading their  forecast discussion about the explosive snow growth too as the temps fall to near or below 30 degrees adds to the accumulations. Folks, with this much dynamics in play now, can we get some thundersnow too?  That would be the icing on the cake. Will Jim Cantore show up somewhere in the LV?    Analogy storm  Feb 1983 snow storm fits well at this time as I remember  the LV received  3-5 in an hour snow rates with 24" of snow. My parents were stuck in that storm and was their first taste of a blizzard in the LV. I was in my 20's at the time and did not mind.  Seems plausible at this juncture  that this storm will somewhat similar  with its formation with the LP sitting near the sweet spot  at the Chesapeake after the transfer and getting stronger.  Snow accumulation amounts should be much less for this storm but the snow rates will be up there for sure for a few hours. Visibility will be down for sure with the monster flakes. Been  long time since we have seen this type of snow storm event unfold in the LV. 

1996  and 2016 LV blizzards were different as the they were both much longer  in duration, the temps were much colder  and the size of the flakes were smaller. This storm event  may unfold  like 1983

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_1983_North_American_blizzard#:~:text=Twenty-four-hour snowfall records,snow fell in one hour.

This actually reminds me more of the February 1994 storm-- the first one-- with very heavy snow for 3-4 hours with thundersnow during the day in which we accumulated around 8 inches of snow.

I have an early January bday and up until recently always had snow on ground or falling within 24 hours of it. As someone else said, February was always best for snow, but it has warmed so much its all out the window

We literally had 2’+ three years ago and may get snow tomorrow. No doubt global warming is occurring, but that’s a bit dramatic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

February has traditionally been the snowiest month, but March is when "anything" can "happen"...

4 minutes ago, North and West said:

We literally had 2’+ three years ago and may get snow tomorrow. No doubt global warming is occurring, but that’s a bit dramatic.

It does seem our biggest snowstorms moved to around January 20th for a few years there, it's been awhile for one of these big ones around the middle of February.  I'm trying to remember the last time we had big 10 incher after February 10th....I can't recall.  I guess it was 10 years ago?

• Like 1

It does seem our biggest snowstorms moved to around January 20th for a few years there, it's been awhile for one of these big ones around the middle of February.  I'm trying to remember the last time we had big 10 incher after February 10th....I can't recall.  I guess it was 10 years ago?

Not sure, but that’s a natural variation, IMO. February has always been the *most likely* snowstorm time for here.

One of the best parts of it is that while it was snowing hard on Tuesday, consensus was growing for the same thing to happen on Friday, which of course it did.

Imagine you were 11, watch TWC for years, after the string of winters we had, and then that happens.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I think the WPC  has a great point about what the convection does in the Southeast later today. The HRRR is more robust with this convection and the low is further north than some of the other guidance. So the CAMS may be the way to go who we see how well the convection is initialized later today. So this could mean last minute model changes right down to the wire later today. 

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=qpfhsd

So then what exactly are you implying? You saying the 6z euro is crazy? 

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic