• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

19z NBM is only 0.9". I sort of doubt the 18z NAM is in this, nor the 18z RDPS,  and so the 01z/12 NBM should come up two inches on LI, I would guess...  IF not, then I'm at a loss.  

If I was sitting in the seat I'd add 2" to N LI but there could be multiple reasons to remain as a minor event NYC.  Not sure...its been a pretty bumpy variable ride near I80-LI from the start. 

Just now, wdrag said:

19z NBM is only 0.9". I sort of doubt the 18z NAM is in this, nor the 18z RDPS,  and so the 01z/12 NBM should come up two inches on LI, I would guess...  IF not, then I'm at a loss.  

If I was sitting in the seat I'd add 2" to N LI but there could be multiple reasons to remain as a minor event NYC.  Not sure...its been a pretty bumpy variable ride near I80-LI from the start. 

I would go 1-3 for NYC to start and you can always adjust .

It should be noted that the low temperature during the storm is 34 on the 18z HRRR. NYC has never had a 10”+ snowfall with such temperatures. The NAM briefly dips below freezing, so its solution is more defensible based on its own numbers. Until the other guidance suggests colder readings than 34-36, it’s difficult to buy these more aggressive solutions for NYC, JFK, and LGA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's amazing how the models especially the icon has a 974 low offshore. Jeez.

Assuming this is correct (which I've provided my reasoning as to why I do believe it is), those in Long Island need to think about driving. This is going to be very heavy, wet snow where this thumps and winds look like we will be close to very poor visibility if not the sought out and belive B word. 

I would be cognizant of this and I would do my best not to drive during this storm if possible. 

Ala Feb 2013 vibes tbh. 

EDIT : No, I am not calling for 8+ inch an hr rates rn lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It should be noted that the low temperature during the storm is 34 on the 18z HRRR. NYC has never had a 10”+ snowfall with such temperatures. The NAM briefly dips below freezing, so its solution is more defensible based on its own numbers. Until the other guidance suggests colder readings than 34-36, it’s difficult to buy these more aggressive solutions for NYC, JFK, and LGA.

Model temps are not an exact science....nothing is....

I'm about 4-5 degrees colder today than I was "supposed" to be....we'll see if models play temperature catchup as we get closer

• Like 1

Just now, jdj5211 said:

Model temps are not an exact science....nothing is....

I'm about 4-5 degrees colder today than I was "supposed" to be....we'll see if models play temperature catchup as we get closer

Of course the temps could be off - I do agree with Don though as I've been through so many events in the city where it was snowing with temps around 34 and got very little accumulation. 

13 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Seems it's omitting the ECMWF as well. 10 to 1 but better than GFS.

image.thumb.png.4d9af0e3b692600b56a56b5b6514135e.png

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

What's odd is the GFS seems to be on its own right now. All other models have at least 2 for CPK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg g said:

I have a flight on Tuesday morning from Orlando at 7;30 landing at LaGuardia around 10:00,.. do you think I’ll still be on time or delayed or..??

Can’t know for sure, but I’d call the airline and try to get in monday night if you can.  Less hassle. But call soon before everyone gets the same idea.

13 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

HPN?

4 minutes ago, North and West said:

Not sure if some you Olds recall February 5, 2001, but that was an over performer in my area, which wasn’t yet developed, and we had fight through the snow in muskets and bearskins. One of my faves.

I do remember that storm. At least you guys down below had muskets and bear skins. We fought through with recurve bows made from swamp maple and battle axes with wooden handles made from ash and flint napped stone blades. We were naked except for raccoon pelts on our feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic