Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

21 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Don't do it again man

I'm not staying up late tonight if the 0z gfs looks like crap.

I stayed up until the geps last night then went to bed and woke up at 2 to see the euro and eps and then went back to bed until 730 and woke up.

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I stayed up until the geps last night then went to bed and woke up at 2 to see the euro and eps and then went back to bed until 730 and woke up.

Just wait until morning to see the overnight runs…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Do you really do this? Why not get a good night sleep and see what the models showed in the morning? Staying up snowstorm I get but to see what a model shows I do not understand 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Do you really do this? Why not get a good night sleep and see what the models showed in the morning? Staying up snowstorm I get but to see what a model shows I do not understand 

If it's an upcoming real significant snow threat (historic storm) I get staying up for the tracking part but a storm like this nah.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

I'm a weenie too but I've learned my lessons and one thing I refuse to do is stay up late for model runs unless we have a good shot at receiving a substantial snow fall in the City. This one certainly does not meet that standard!

• Like 2

This should perk you up...

NWS Probs for 2,4,12" These are all pretty large for 48-72 hours. 

Disconnect between published snowfall-Tomer Burg 18z GEFS snow probs 1", and the 2,4,12" probs attached plus the 19z attached robust NBM.  

I can only think the NWS is latching onto the colder EPS values?  I saw the18z GEFS  predominant ptype for 12z Tue and s of I80 its rain (NYC) as well.  Close call I80 for sure. 

So I'm not saying what will happen but will revert back to these varying stats and see what results. mPing will be helpful midnight ish -8AM Tue. 

fwiw we just had about .06" rain here in Wantage NJ the past hour. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 5.59.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 5.59.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 5.59.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 6.06.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 6.12.52 PM.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

If it's an upcoming real significant snow threat (historic storm) I get staying up for the tracking part but a storm like this nah.

Yes a huge blizzard with a cold air airmass I have stayed up for EURO and then passed out. But i am generally a night owl anyway 

The 2/10 22z NBE currently forecasts a low of 36 degrees in New York City during the upcoming storm. The 12z GFS MOS is even more bleak with a low of 38 degrees. The MOS categorical snow outlook for NYC is trace to 2". The MOS categorical amount would fit more than 98% of historic cases with daily lows of 35 degrees or above and 0.25" or more of daily precipitation.

For reference:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ILoveWinter said:

I'm a weenie too but I've learned my lessons and one thing I refuse to do is stay up late for model runs unless we have a good shot at receiving a substantial snow fall in the City. This one certainly does not meet that standard!

Yea after enough tracking you kind of know the difference between a few models run show significant snow potential vs this actually has real potential to deliver a significant snowfall. I will say though the way the last two winters have gone even 1-3/2-4 inch events are becoming rare enough to be exciting. 

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea after enough tracking you kind of know the difference between a few models run show significant snow potential vs this actually has real potential to deliver a significant snowfall. I will say though the way the last two winters have gone even 1-3/2-4 inch events are becoming rare enough to be exciting. 

Haha true, a few more winters of this and I may need to redefine what counts as substantial lol

• Haha 1

The 0z NBE has increased forecast snowfall to 3.7" in NYC, even as it increased its estimated low temperature to 37. Only a single case exists with such a snowfall and a low temperature of 35 or above. Either the NBE will reduce the estimated low temperature or future cycles will reduce snowfall amounts. I suspect it will be the latter, as occurred with the GFS MOS's moving from an estimated 4"-6" to trace to 2".

• Like 2

Just an observation - not mentioning any favorites at all - I know we never want politics to ruin this place -  but if there's any amount of disruptive snow from this storm, the effects of it on the special congressional election this Tuesday will be studied for awhile.  Especially given that the nature of the district is such that there's a significant north shore as well as south shore component.  You can theoretically have a storm on Tuesday morning which keeps much of the northern side of the district home while the south shore is dealing with mainly rain.  Add to that the fact that there's been early voting for 9 days as well, giving the early vote a potential outsized proportion of the overall vote, it really will be one for interesting discussion.

29 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The 0z NBE has increased forecast snowfall to 3.7" in NYC, even as it increased its estimated low temperature to 37. Only a single case exists with such a snowfall and a low temperature of 35 or above. Either the NBE will reduce the estimated low temperature or future cycles will reduce snowfall amounts. I suspect it will be the latter, as occurred with the GFS MOS's moving from an estimated 4"-6" to trace to 2".

This was a storm that occurred early in the 1900s wasn't it? I remember we discussed it.  What was the low for that storm? It dropped 5 inches

And we had one much more recently that dropped 5.5 inches with a temp of 33.

Both happened in April.

1 minute ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Just an observation - not mentioning any favorites at all - I know we never want politics to ruin this place -  but if there's any amount of disruptive snow from this storm, the effects of it on the special congressional election this Tuesday will be studied for awhile.  Especially given that the nature of the district is such that there's a significant north shore as well as south shore component.  You can theoretically have a storm on Tuesday morning which keeps much of the northern side of the district home while the south shore is dealing with mainly rain.  Add to that the fact that there's been early voting for 9 days as well, giving the early vote a potential outsized proportion of the overall vote, it really will be one for interesting discussion.

a lot of people will not vote even if it's just raining

5 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

given that early voters are generally Democrat, but South shore voters are generally republican, should balance no?

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This was a storm that occurred early in the 1900s wasn't it? I remember we discussed it.  What was the low for that storm? It dropped 5 inches

And we had one much more recently that dropped 5.5 inches with a temp of 33.

Both happened in April.

That was the April 1907 storm.

• Like 1

Eh, they’re all as deluded and crazy as the posters here.

11 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Won’t impact anything. Have mail in voting and early voting for those that don’t want to go on Tuesday to polling location. 

52 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

given that early voters are generally Democrat, but South shore voters are generally republican, should balance no?

Early voting gaps have closed. Early voting allows GOTV operatives to focus on those who have not voted yet as opposed to wasting time on those who already voted.

32 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Upper 50s today. Awesome. 

I was tossing the ball to the dogs while wearing a t shirt. But the constant mud.....stores have pallets of salt sitting around. Might want to stock up and keep it in storage; I bought a huge bag in Dec 96. It lasted me till 2003...

• Like 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic