• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

did it occur to you that most ninos fade late in winter or spring and that’s just part of the typical process. There is a lag effect. That’s why Nina’s that fade do us no good. That’s a common misconception I dispelled a couple years ago. Nina’s that faded fast during winter actually had worse Feb/March snowfall!  If the Nino fades now it won’t impact the pattern for another month or two at the earliest. 

I would argue that there's not enough data. The daily-specific research I did of that central subsurface cold or warm pool posted a PNA-correlation, no time. I found that Strong Nino years that had negative subsurface water, were more likely to be warm and snowless with SE ridge (there weren't many if any Nina's I can think of that had warm subsurface pool, the opposite of that pattern). If you look at the PNA pattern as Pacific-North America, those Strong Nino/cold subsurface Winter's fit 2/3 variables in the -PNA index (cold West, warm East). Some like 72-73 fit 3/3 parts of the index.  I think if you had enough data you would see that there probably are differences late Winter if the Nino subsurface remains strong/neutral, or flips to a Nina-like state. 

Off the top of my head, these are the Strong Nino/negative subsurface March's: https://ibb.co/kXN8QWs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Since there's not much activity...

Since 1998, top 7 +Natural Gas analogs for February averaged 8.3, bottom 4 Natural Gas analogs for February averaged 2.2. We are at 1.97, the 3rd lowest on record in that time, fitting the extreme situation guideline.  https://ibb.co/2vrfcHK

Here are the top 11 +analogs for March.. based on Feb's NG price:

https://ibb.co/6wKqgDf

https://ibb.co/Hp0zZqW

^that's Feb NG price rolled forward into March (so a +1 month lead time)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Weve been chasing 7+ days since  mid December. We got an excellent run for 7 -8 days over two weeks ago.

Archaic   models and this new environment we are in, and weather forecasting is rapidly falling   behind all other sciences.

Now plenty will tell me how I Should Be Looking at it but I live in reality.  This has been a great hobby and I continue to do the recordings and we are in many cities now.  But this model chasing fantasy has worn out. I love  obs threads in situation but frankly all the rest of it is just myriad and myriad of ever changing examples of what might could possibly happen .That creates nothing positive for me anymore. Hitting one out of every ten targets is frustration and that’s not a hobby 

see you again when snow is in reality on the way or occurring 

See ya for the 00Z model runs

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Um guys..  not sure if anyone is getting this faster.. but the GFS looks like it might go off again.. could be wrong. but that 1039 HP isnt really budging.

image.thumb.png.570a8e26eb257f9db8b36a2b8ac4c093.png

Not enough CAD to make that work this time around

Euro is close to setting up a phase for the PD storm. It’s digging a strong NS SW down behind the stj wave day 10. 
My snow chart lit up last Night like Howard's 202 936 1212 number

6715627449c08b48c0637fe52d2f1638.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

You got digital blue? Can I get a hit, man? Come on... I need it, man. I'll suck your... never mind. 

Extrapolated 6z gfs looks awful for the psu storm though. Disappointing :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Extrapolated 6z gfs looks awful for the psu storm though. Disappointing :(

Iirc someone noted yesterday how we don't want the PD3 system  unless we are hoping for a 1 and done. Destroys the long term pattern or something. All eggs in one basket type thing.  Suppose if it's the 6z gfs solution tho, most would make that sacrifice.

• Like 1

Found a good use for snow maps lol. Good visual here of last 7 gfs runs for vday period. Scattershot/unresolved at first but last 4 runs show a clear trend and it's caused by upper air patten trying to find any way to press down into this wave. Yea, temps are disastrous I get that but we're in a state of massive flux in the high latitudes. There is still a real opportunity. Until that vanishes it's hard for me to look beyond. This isn't a setup you can just dismiss yet imo only 

gfs_asnow_us_fh150_trend (1).gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic