Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Taking the Central Park temperatures under the trees since the new ASOS was installed back in the 90s created an artificial cooling of daytime highs during the the warm season.  When they measured the temperatures away from the trees prior to the 1990s, NYC had more 90° days than LGA. So the decline in 90° days from 30 years before and after the new ASOS was installed is an artifact of the poor sitting and not a reflection of the actual temperatures  in Central Park which used to be warmer than LGA. All our other stations away from the sea breeze have seen a steep increase in 90° days over this period.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/vandals-in-central-park-forcing-weather-service-to-seek-new-site.html

When the devices at the castle are not functioning, the Weather Service substitutes readings from La Guardia Airport. But Mr. Gibson said those readings do not really reflect conditions in the city, because they may be several degrees cooler in summer or warmer in winter than those in Central Park.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=74&network=NJCLIMATE&station=NJTNBR&season=all&dir=above&var=high&threshold=90&year=1960&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

A16B2B96-0920-45EF-BE6F-07FE1225ED85.thumb.png.ddcab47c1cb82bc7ed27864a0b8d4977.png

8319ED1D-F2F9-456B-836A-7EFDA1508BC5.thumb.png.6235423e844f73172e46e98a09781a79.png

6D232466-C535-4EA4-9EED-BB7A60A5CD9D.thumb.png.70e42ee19a7a39e5e861738382d0a908.png

9BC04949-D28C-4C2D-B229-2D8CD948109D.thumb.png.670de01f3cba5a71aa9af2546f463bce.png

But havent days of High 80s/High Humidity increased at the expense of days in the Low 90s with lower humidity?

It is very noticeable how we cant get over 95 with ease anymore.

We have settled into a Florida tropical like summer climate from mid June through mid September in which high dews keep overnights real warm and temper daytime highs while feeling absolutely miserable and buggy at all times

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Taking the Central Park temperatures under the trees since the new ASOS was installed back in the 90s created an artificial cooling of daytime highs during the the warm season.  When they measured the temperatures away from the trees prior to the 1990s, NYC had more 90° days than LGA. So the decline in 90° days from 30 years before and after the new ASOS was installed is an artifact of the poor sitting and not a reflection of the actual temperatures  in Central Park which used to be warmer than LGA. All our other stations away from the sea breeze have seen a steep increase in 90° days over this period.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/vandals-in-central-park-forcing-weather-service-to-seek-new-site.html

When the devices at the castle are not functioning, the Weather Service substitutes readings from La Guardia Airport. But Mr. Gibson said those readings do not really reflect conditions in the city, because they may be several degrees cooler in summer or warmer in winter than those in Central Park.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=74&network=NJCLIMATE&station=NJTNBR&season=all&dir=above&var=high&threshold=90&year=1960&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

A16B2B96-0920-45EF-BE6F-07FE1225ED85.thumb.png.ddcab47c1cb82bc7ed27864a0b8d4977.png

8319ED1D-F2F9-456B-836A-7EFDA1508BC5.thumb.png.6235423e844f73172e46e98a09781a79.png

6D232466-C535-4EA4-9EED-BB7A60A5CD9D.thumb.png.70e42ee19a7a39e5e861738382d0a908.png

9BC04949-D28C-4C2D-B229-2D8CD948109D.thumb.png.670de01f3cba5a71aa9af2546f463bce.png

Has JFK stayed the same or also increased. And that's because of high pressure building further north?

I was wondering if there's a way for us to extrapolate what the NYC number of 90 degree days "should be" based on EWR.  I think EWR averaged 10 more 90 degree days than NYC back when the equipment was properly sited in Central Park? So I guess we can say that the records from 1991 and 1993 of 39 degree days should have been exceeded in 2010 and at least tied in 2022?

31 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

But havent days of High 80s/High Humidity increased at the expense of days in the Low 90s with lower humidity?

We have settled into a Florida tropical like summer climate from mid June through mid September in which high dews keep overnights real warm and temper daytime highs while feeling absolutely miserable and buggy at all times

and we have much shorter heatwaves now, we have not had a full week 7 days of 90 degree days since 1999 or 2002.

55 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

What's wild about 2010 having 54 90 degree days is the fact that that year was bookended by a lot of snow.  Didn't Newark hit 106 that summer?  That was the year with the brutal soaking and windy March storm which uprooted as many trees as a hurricane.  All followed by 2011 and 2012 with Irene, the earthquake, and capped off by Sandy, itself ending with a significant early November snow.  We lived in interesting weather times.

my favorite period of weather was from December 2009 through April 2018.  So many amazing weather events in this period-- even when it didn't snow!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

The Bermuda High ridge keeps shifting north, which means the clockwise flow brings southerly winds and more humidity here vs hotter west winds and less humidity. The worst heat seems to shoot over us to the north when that happens, which has been the tendency relative to average-the worst heat keeps going north of us but we have the higher heat index with more humidity. FL-like is right. 

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I was wondering if there's a way for us to extrapolate what the NYC number of 90 degree days "should be" based on EWR.  I think EWR averaged 10 more 90 degree days than NYC back when the equipment was properly sited in Central Park? So I guess we can say that the records from 1991 and 1993 of 39 degree days should have been exceeded in 2010 and at least tied in 2022?

If they measured the temperatures in Central Park the same way they did before the 1990s, then NYC would average closer to 29 days a year reaching 90° than the 19 days since the warmer summer era began in 2010. 

1951-1980 average number of 90° days

EWR….23

NYC….18

LGA…..15

2010-2023 warmer era 

EWR….33

NYC…..19…actual ..close to 29 

LGA…..26

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I don’t know about anybody else but for this non-winter, there’s not a tree or shrub or fence on my property that has not been damaged by the heavy wet snow that froze over on several occasions. Very messy as I assess spring clean up

I knocked the snow off my arborvitae multiple times. Gotta do it 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I don’t know about anybody else but for this non-winter, there’s not a tree or shrub or fence on my property that has not been damaged by the heavy wet snow that froze over on several occasions. Very messy as I assess spring clean up

No issues with my hemlocks or green giant arborvitaes thankfully, they did well with heavy wet snow.  Happy I replaced the old bushes years ago with the arborvitaes when I redid the yard, they would have certainly snapped under the weight.  Lots of limbs down from pine trees around the area though.

56 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I just said that in another thread. My yard is too soft to do a real walk around but it's a mess with sticks and branches down and all of the tall flowering weeds that I let go are down and broken. Cleanup is gonna take a while this year. 

32 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I just said that in another thread. My yard is too soft to do a real walk around but it's a mess with sticks and branches down and all of the tall flowering weeds that I let go are down and broken. Cleanup is gonna take a while this year. 

That's why I've been doing periodic clean-ups the past few years.  A couple weeks ago for instance, before the snow came, I filled up a whole bag with branches, stray leaves, and some other yard debris.  Now when spring arrives there won't be much to do.

• Like 1

i think people are forgetting that there have been similarly lame stretches. yes, we don't get the 10-20" years as much, but who cares

KNYC had one winter with over 30" from 1969-70 through 1993-94. one! that is an absolutely dry stretch. we have had 13 such winters since 2000

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i think people are forgetting that there have been similarly lame stretches. yes, we don't get the 10-20" years as much, but who cares

KNYC had one winter with over 30" from 1969-70 through 1993-94. one! that is an absolutely dry stretch. we have had 13 such winters since 2000

Brutal....

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah we've dealt with worse. this is a crappy stretch, don't get me wrong, but we also just had 2020-21 and likely have some more winters that break that 30" mark in the future soon enough

What I would really like to see before we pass the tipping point is an area wide 30”+ mega storm. What we really need is a reshuffle to get us back to a more -epo pattern again. Hopefully this will El Niño reshuffled the deck. 
A super high ACE season looks like a lock, which often precedes a good winter. We don’t need much to beat the last 3.

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What I would really like to see before we pass the tipping point is an area wide 30”+ mega storm. What we really need is a reshuffle to get us back to a more -epo pattern again. Hopefully this will El Niño reshuffled the deck. 
A super high ACE season looks like a lock, which often precedes a good winter. We don’t need much to beat the last 3.

the Jan 2018 bomb cyclone could have done it if it was just closer to the coast. was a triple phaser like 250 miles offshore and still brought major snow

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

The 95° days have also been increasing at the warm spots like Newark away from the sea breeze. But the days with the heat index of 95° have also been increasing due to the higher humidity. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=161&network=NJ_ASOS&zstation=EWR&var=max_tmpf&dir=aoa&thres=95&month=all&year=2024&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=js

4D8CF729-01EE-4F8C-A285-B1C031E90019.thumb.jpeg.bc25b0afa8f4386bb69660228f8d5279.jpeg

448E911C-C1BD-47DC-9A15-E7BBACC753D5.thumb.jpeg.c36e4bba5d7deb13dacf23a040fcf2ee.jpeg

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the Jan 2018 bomb cyclone could have done it if it was just closer to the coast. was a triple phaser like 250 miles offshore and still brought major snow

We do not even need something that strong. A nice loop track like 1888 with 2020’s moisture would do the trick. 1888 is far and above the best winter storm in our area after 1850. With a snow board I’m sure NYC had 30+.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

40 degree back to back winters with plenty of precip.

There’s absolutely no comparison whatsoever to the 60s or 70s or 80s. that’s just trying to gloss over and compromise with reality

We lost the snow because it’s too warm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

40 degree back to back winters with plenty of precip.

There’s absolutely no comparison whatsoever to the 60s or 70s or 80s. that’s just trying to gloss over and compromise with reality

We lost the snow because it’s too warm.

yeah, there definitely is no comparison. there is a much higher frequency of larger storms than there ever was in those decades. LI was also a lot less snowy. unless you guys want nickel and dime winters with 10-20" of snow

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

That was one of my favorite recent storms, gave me about 18 inches or so here in Toms River (I’m west of the parkway, very close to the Manchester border). 

But I do agree if that one were a bit better positioned that could’ve been an absolute blockbuster for all. I feel the same about 1/29/22; that storm had incredible dynamics and was cold! 22F at the time of peak snowfall early that morning, it was absolutely glorious. 

• Like 2