Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s called El Niño, amped up pac jet and allot of onshore flow. We haven’t had your normal winter polar/arctic highs which bring days of brilliant sunshine. 

It seems like a weird el nino la nina hybrid.  I remember several el ninos when we had nice arctic shots that cleared out all the cloud pollution

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

We had a great run up until 2021. A long stretch in which we had many above average snowfall winters. That couldn't last forever. We were overdue for a few bad winters. This isn't a surprise. It's frustrating now, but it's hard to complain after the long run that we had. 

I grew up in the 70s on LI.  The concept of a 6”+ storm basically did not exist at that time.  The greatest amounts that were ever forecasted were 4-8” by AW because that was as big a storm as there could be or so it seemed.  We had two storms of about 7” during that period and that was it.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

I grew up in the 70s on LI.  The concept of a 6”+ storm basically did not exist at that time.  The greatest amounts that were ever forecasted were 4-8” by AW because that was as big a storm as there could be or so it seemed.  We had two storms of about 7” during that period and that was it.  

That's something I like about the Poconos, no matter what you'll always get at least one 6 inch snowstorm there.

The best storms I found were the daylong light snow events with absolutely nothing showing on radar.

• Like 3

Omega block looks to roll east 2nd week of February while the weekend cold shot trends milder.  One of the quietest first two weeks of February I’ve seen modeled.  Makes sense we would regress a bit from the epic wet pattern of the past many months

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Omega block looks to roll east 2nd week of February while the weekend cold shot trends milder.  One of the quietest first two weeks of February I’ve seen modeled.  Makes sense we would regress a bit from the epic wet pattern of the past many months

Less rain is really good news, now let's work on the sunshine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

That's something I like about the Poconos, no matter what you'll always get at least one 6 inch snowstorm there.

The best storms I found were the daylong light snow events with absolutely nothing showing on radar.

Yes we did get ours this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Sne having their wettest two month period ever and little snow to show for it 

Interior SNE isn't doing that bad.

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Yea people are losing their minds over the lack of sunshine. This has been a truly horrific month. 

Im loving this minus the fact this winter sucks.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Even if the pac flips mid month where is the cold coming from? 

So everyone will be wrong about a flip in February?

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Even if the pac flips mid month where is the cold coming from? 

That’s a very good point. If Canada and the CONUS gets inundated with PAC air the next 2 weeks, not only is the arctic cold gone but you are going to loose a lot of snow and ice pack, also, it’s a hell of a lot easier to put Canada back in the freezer in January (like we just saw) than it is in mid-late February. Even if the pattern flips on 2/15, it’s going to take awhile to seed Canada with arctic air again. It’s not instant. I’m sure @SnowGoose69 will agree with this 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

9 hours ago, NEG NAO said:
its more about the el nino moving faster and stronger into the central regions (modoki el  nino) but indications now are a complete faster collapse of the entire el nino and the beginning of la nina conditions by early spring

The El Niño isn’t collapsing at all. In fact, there is a massive WWB (westerly wind burst) forming right now and the Nino is strengthening again. Nino region 3.4 is starting to warm as we speak. This is only going to extend the strong Nino through late February now. See:

Nino 3.4 staying strong and warming again: 

crw_ssta_graph_nino34.png

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The El Niño isn’t collapsing at all. In fact, there is a massive WWB (westerly wind burst) forming right now and the Nino is strengthening again. Nino region 3.4 is starting to warm as we speak. This is only going to extend the strong Nino through late February now. See:

Nino 3.4 staying strong and warming again: 

crw_ssta_graph_nino34.png

we are currently going through whats called an el nino "burst" which is going to cause a very active southern stream. Omega Block developing and heights will rise in Canada and colder air will be sent into the lower 48 just like January and we will have a wintry period the middle to latter part of February similar to January with snow chances here along the way ........

• Like 4

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

That’s a very good point. If Canada and the CONUS gets inundated with PAC air the next 2 weeks, not only is the arctic cold gone but you are going to loose a lot of snow and ice pack, also, it’s a hell of a lot easier to put Canada back in the freezer in January (like we just saw) than it is in mid-late February. Even if the pattern flips on 2/15, it’s going to take awhile to seed Canada with arctic air again. It’s not instant. I’m sure @SnowGoose69 will agree with this 

cross polar flow develops quickly. it's a pretty rapid flip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

A "hell" of a lot easier for Canada to be put back in the freezer in Jan vs. mid Feb? Come on man, I know you are a warm weenie but that's pushing it. Also it's not like there was a ton of snowpack before the January cool down and it still happened - and quite fast mind you.  

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1