• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Duration is so overrated. How long does it really snow 1"/hr+ at a given locale in any given storm? Its much more about atmospheric water/dynamics/rates....stalled storms may add a few inches, but occlusion normally ensures its that "days and days of snow" crap that adds like 2-3" per day.

Ideally, you get a storm go to go nuts with insane rate, stall and then get captured by another piece of energy diving in, but that is pretty exotic due to wave spacing issues.

Agreed for the most part but he’s correct if you’re looking to go super high end. How many storms over 3 feet are less than 24 hours? Almost none of them. Sure, even blizzard of ‘78 or Feb ‘69 had most of the snow fall in a 24 hour period but those 40”+ totals are prob like 28-35” if it doesn’t keep going and going. Same deal with those 40+ burgers in Mar 2001.

Even in an occluded state, if you have spokes of energy rotating around a pseudo-stalled ULL, it can reinvigorate the snow bands…even if not to their peak intensity…which helps add on those additional accumulations that would otherwise hit the 3-foot wall that we often see in other high-end storms that lack duration over 24-30 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed for the most part but he’s correct if you’re looking to go super high end. How many storms over 3 feet are less than 24 hours? Almost none of them. Sure, even blizzard of ‘78 or Feb ‘69 had most of the snow fall in a 24 hour period but those 40”+ totals are prob like 28-35” if it doesn’t keep going and going. Same deal with those 40+ burgers in Mar 2001.

Even in an occluded state, if you have spokes of energy rotating around a pseudo-stalled ULL, it can reinvigorate the snow bands…even if not to their peak intensity…which helps add on those additional accumulations that would otherwise hit the 3-foot wall that we often see in other high-end storms that lack duration over 24-30 hours. 

I think moving forward less stalled storms and more 40" totals within 24 hours will be the trend.

But historically speaking, I agree...it said it helps, but its more about rates.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Id say Feb 13 was <24 hrs, it was pretty close.. 23hrs based on the BDR obs. And the majority accumulated in 12 hrs. Same with Jan 2011 that was  <18hrs i believe, maybe even 12. While that wasn't 3 feet, we pulled 30" in that short amount of time. But i do agree for the most the really big ones like Mar 2001 and Jan 2005 for E MA are +24hrs

Just now, Cold Miser said:

Couldn't happen.  Damn thing doesn't work anyway...even after the tune up and work done to it 14 months ago.  Luckily there's been no use for it since 2022.  

Turn it on, put rubber bands around the auger and accelerator levers and let it run itself off a cliff. Snowblower suicide 

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Id say Feb 13 was <24 hrs, it was pretty close.. 23hrs based on the BDR obs. And the majority accumulated in 12 hrs. Same with Jan 2011 that was  <18hrs i believe, maybe even 12. While that wasn't 3 feet, we pulled 30" in that short amount of time. But i do agree for the most the really big ones like Mar 2001 and Jan 2005 for E MA are +24hrs

Yeah you can get close, but you never see like a 45-50” total from any of those 18-24 hour storms. It’s always a stalled monster like ‘78, or 1888 or Feb ‘69 or Dec 1992 (higher terrain). 

That’s why I mentioned to Ray that the “cap” on a shorter duration storm seems to be in that 3 foot range. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This forum is down bad. Extrapolating the end of an icon run 

Chasing ghost, I've stepped away, Its a waste of time unless something is immanent and there isn't anything, If we get to the weekend and it looks like we have something between the 12-15th, I'll be back in then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I think it(the S/W)came from Baffin Island area…no?  Pretty dry up that way. 

Yeah but it prob had a moisture feed from further south once the storm started developing a legit warm conveyor. 

Yeah that’s squashed. Ridge axis is decently west though so certainly room for it to improve. Gonna either need more phasing with northern stream or more lagging. This run was the sweet spot to basically crush the whole thing south. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that’s squashed. Ridge axis is decently west though so certainly room for it to improve. Gonna either need more phasing with northern stream or more lagging. This run was the sweet spot to basically crush the whole thing south. 

No issues with cold air on that run…just couldn’t get up here. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not a bad place to be at the moment at a week out either. Many more solutions to come.