Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

It's still rather rare. And who knows if that still works now. 2014 & 2015 were the last time...

P.S. Where did you get the data for specific storms those years? (I have a list of the big ones and overall seasonal totals...but not the smaller ones)

we get march snow quite often. march 16 2022 dropped 4-6" across the NW metro thru an anafrontal and i know we got like 2" in march 2019  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

Dt says the 30th won’t happen so you what that means

Probabilities are in his favor. The gfs progression has no support from the ggem or euro. They are way less amplified with the trough. Plus more than half the gfs members and op runs recently that do have a storm it’s just a perfect track rainstorm. So when you add it all up the chances of snow is low. But it’s all we have to track so it’s being talked about. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

we get march snow quite often. march 16 2022 dropped 4-6" across the NW metro thru an anafrontal and i know we got like 2" in march 2019  

Omg he wants a big storm. He’s said that. Baltimore hasn’t had a 6” snow since 2016. I get his frustration and he is right the chances of a BIG snow go down in the city by March.  People posting examples of 2-4” snows and snows that hit west of the fall line don’t really refute his point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, WhiteoutMD said:

I think we need to start wiring about flooding over the next 15 days. Anyone else think this?

My friend, the chances of serious flooding during the next 15 days is minimal. 

Snowpack melt is negligible as less than an inch of qp is in most snowpack.

WPC 7 day qpf is 1.0 - 1.5 inches.  This timeframe will completely eliminate snowpack.

Have no fear of serious flooding unless guidance changes significantly.

• Like 1

Just now, stormy said:

My friend, the chances of serious flooding during the next 15 days is minimal. 

Snowpack melt is negligible as less than an inch of qp is in most snowpack.

WPC 7 day qpf is 1.0 - 1.5 inches.  This timeframe will completely eliminate snowpack.

Have no fear of serious flooding unless guidance changes significantly.

yeah this isn't post Blizzard of 96.  Now that was some serious flooding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Omg he wants a big storm. He’s said that. Baltimore hasn’t had a 6” snow since 2016. I get his frustration and he is right the chances of a BIG snow go down in the city by March.  People posting examples of 2-4” snows and snows that hit west of the fall line don’t really refute his point. 

my bad, i only saw his comment about march snow. and i agree, climo falls off a cliff in early march for any big storms

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah this isn't post Blizzard of 96.  Now that was some serious flooding.

I remember it well.  30 inches of snow followed by 3.20 inches of rain a week later. Almost unbelievable!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, stormy said:

I remember it well.  30 inches of snow followed by 3.20 inches of rain a week later. Almost unbelievable!!!!!!!

I was in 6th grade - we still had like 15-20" of snow on the ground and it was gone in 6 hours!!  My neighbor was driving us to school with like 40-50mph winds and temps going up into the 60s lol.

3 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

my bad, i only saw his comment about march snow. and i agree, climo falls off a cliff in early march for any big storms

The difference between here and Baltimore becomes more extreme early and late. Since 2007 I’ve had 9 warning criteria snows in March and Baltimore only 2 I think.  A few of those were really big storms here. And even ones that weren’t huge like the March 30 2014 8” Of super wet snow they fell in like 5 hours at the end of a storm was so much fun. March is a winter month up here. Not so much in the city.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

I was in 6th grade - we still had like 15-20" of snow on the ground and it was gone in 6 hours!!  My neighbor was driving us to school with like 40-50mph winds and temps going up into the 60s lol.

Haines point was several feet underwater and all the tributaries were so swollen it was quite something to see. Old Town was under water for several high tide cycles. I lived near Old Town. Did quite a lot of damage.

7 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Haines point was several feet underwater and all the tributaries were so swollen it was quite something to see. Old Town was under water for several high tide cycles. I lived near Old Town. Did quite a lot of damage.

The stream that flows through my property was higher during this Jan. 96 flood than elderly people could remember ever before.

11 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

I think you have to grade winters with a significant curve in the context of the New Base State.  In a vacuum, if winter ended today it would be a D- or an F.  But with the grading curve, it's a C-.

If winter ended today it would be a solid B for a winter that ended on January 20.

9 minutes ago, Snowacane said:

Blizzard!!!!!

I know this is in jest, but the period jan 28-31 is one to watch even in a lousy pattern. Going to be a needle threader or late miller B or may just be a perfect track rainstorm, but we’re still in the game. Wouldn’t count us out yet all the way to 2nd week Feb

• Like 7

I know this is in jest, but the period jan 28-31 is one to watch even in a lousy pattern. Going to be a needle threader or late miller B or may just be a perfect track rainstorm, but we’re still in the game. Wouldn’t count us out yet all the way to 2nd week Feb

Yup. Most likely a hit for the northeast but it is a threat worth tracking. That’s all I ask for in winter. Threats to track…