Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

17 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

The RAP has had this band forming around 5 am that pivots through.  It will probably be the MD folks, but 6 am to 9 am looks like it could be something.  HRRR running now.  It hasn't really caught on yet

HRRR is signaling it too.  But it definitely favors MD

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Been around since WWBB days. Before that I ran a yahoo group called Mid Atlantic Weather Central. I went by the name midlantwx circa 1999, 2000.

we went through all the big ones together*

I wasnt on any weather forums or chats in 1996..I know some people were

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I have heard of something called ne.weather way back before WWBB. I was not on that group or whatever it was.

• Like 2

I just measured 3.5 inches of snow on the deck here, just north of the Baltimore city line, south of Towson. We have 3.5 inches. The most I've had since I moved here was two 4 inch snowfalls 2 years ago so I would love if we beat that!  It's already sticking on the roads more than anything I've seen since the 2016 blizzard which I care about more than total snowfall, so for me this has been awesome!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

WAY BACK! I was a newb in the WWBB - Then Eastern! And now Americanwx. 

I dabbled at weather channel back when they had a board.  But wright-weather is where I cut my teeth.  Then went to Eastern for Isabel and stayed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I dabbled at weather channel back when they had a board.  But wright-weather is where I cut my teeth.  Then went to Eastern for Isabel and stayed.

Weather Channel had a chat room. There was this Mod, Mod_weatherSam. Some troll impersonated him, then the place went to heck. It was a good place to discuss weather back then. 

The old Yahoo Clubs, later Yahoo Groups in 2001 I think, got spammed to death by a whole bunch of spammers. They would join a group. Then they would go crazy spamming overnight filling a group with rubbish. That was one reason the Groups went down.

• Like 1

1996 was my first winter online when I found the first internet relay chat and the Blizzard of 96 was my first online storm. It was different back then. IRC was a scrolling live feed like a ticker tape. If you walked away for 30 min you had to scroll all the way back.

About 30 min before the first flake I remember someone posted “2.8 inches of QPF!!!!! I see it but I can’t believe it”. And then it happened. And I was hooked.
  • Like 3