Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1 minute ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Just watched a car completely sliding down a hill in dc.  Amazing how bad the roads are with a half inch.  I think they forgot to treat them. 

That half inch or so of cold smoke from a clipper a couple of days before the Jan. 2016 blizzard caused similar incidents.  I was driving home that evening and it was truly white-knuckle driving, the roads were a mess.  No real treatment so cars effectively packed it down into a sheet of ice.

• Like 2

Just watched a car completely sliding down a hill in dc.  Amazing how bad the roads are with a half inch.  I think they forgot to treat them. 

d5a1a2d71a3902ef950aa210e9843aa2.jpg

This was the on ramp to 29 in Ellicott city earlier after I exited to stop for my morning coffee. Completely slick. Car in front of me almost spun out. Definitely forgot to treat it lol

That ish doesn’t fly up in the sticks. We need our roads brined cause the roads are already tricky enough being narrow / windy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, snowfan said:

HRRR steady with the heavier snowfall north of the area but still showing the 1-3” across the area.

IMG_0999.png

HRRR has been on an island vs other guidance in regards to the axis of heavier precip. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

9 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

They probably weren’t tracking that it might snow overnight.  The WWA didn’t get posted until like 4 am.  I don’t recall any brine yesterday.locally.  Unless I just wasn’t paying attention.

Sterling going super aggressive out this way with 4-6". I haven't seen any guidance showing this but would be amazing if it happened. Most guidance has the heaviest precip sliding to our SW.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC 533 AM EST Mon Jan 15 2024

-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson- 

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST TUESDAY... 

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6 inches..

* WHEN...Until 10 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow is either ongoing or will begin shortly. A brief lull in the snow may occur late this morning into early this afternoon. Snow will pick back up again from mid- afternoon through tonight. 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Slow down and use caution while traveling. When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

• Like 2