• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

1 minute ago, Irish said:

I know he's trying to tell me something here, but what... :lol:

Norlun Trough: An axis of shifting winds on the NW side of a low. They are known to bring very localized, very heavy bands of snow so that one town gets buried and the next barely receives an inch. These features are wicked fickle and are very hard to forecast.

Google... my friend. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Thinking this could have had KU potential if that Pacific Jet extension wasn’t acting as a kicker. Guessing Central to Southern NJ and Suffolk County may be favored for the highest amounts over 4”+. It will nice to get at least one event this month with no mixing issues. 

9D8E13CA-BBB3-4213-AFBE-DD6839220E2A.thumb.png.ba2d94b576f136271ecb046e0b713e77.png

If we can get snow on snow to build up a snowpack it would be great. Hopefully the late NW trends can benefit for a change. 

• Like 4

Euro seems to be having a rough run this last week...it could very well be right but its pretty much an outlier at the moment...its hard to not lean RGEM/GGEM after how well they saw this event coming...the UKMET through 72 looks like a dead mix of the GGEM and GFS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Franklin0529 said:

We just seen how much this storm came west right up until yesterday. In a good spot right now I think

I hope it won't be as lame as this one. God, people are snow starved here. it never even covered the grass here and, turned to rain, for a prolonged period. I consider it garbage, like dozens of events in the 90s. And the rain is making walkways hazardous. At least I used some of the salt I've had on hand for 3 years.....I don't expect much these days but boy was this disappointing. Hope it was better where you are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I hope it won't be as lame as this one. God, people are snow starved here. it never even covered the grass here and, turned to rain, for a prolonged period. I consider it garbage, like dozens of events in the 90s. And the rain is making walkways hazardous. At least I used some of the salt I've had on hand for 3 years.....I don't expect much these days but boy was this disappointing. Hope it was better where you are.

You didn’t expect much but was still disappointed? 

2 inches with frz rain all day is a decent event in my eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I got 4" in Monmouth county.  After almost 2 full years of no snow I'll gladly take 4". The kids had a blast this morning making a snowman!! Lighten up man jeez

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

You didn’t expect much but was still disappointed? 

2 inches with frz rain all day is a decent event in my eyes. 

I know many are worried about the pattern change coming but we should not forget that we have not yet reached our climo highest snow month. I'm gonna be venture to say we will have chances at some point later in February 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SBUWX23 said:

I know many are worried about the pattern change coming but we should not forget that we have not yet reached our climo highest snow month. I'm gonna be venture to say we will have chances at some point later in February 

I still lean at the moment to the metro finishing below normal minus a KU somewhere.  I would guess NYC finishes around 15 or so inches right now...pattern should be pretty decent into early March, thereafter I always assume nothing because climo after 3/10 really argues snows are unlikely outside of interior areas

• Like 1

I don't have much interest in tracking an inverted trough, they are always very localized and hard to  predict. Hopefully the coastal comes west like other storms. Would definitely favor LI/SNJ with this one but maybe everyone can get a few inches of all snow to wrap up the week. 

26 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Plus, it will be below frz all week and feel like winter. This is some we haven’t had since January 2022 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Euro had zilch for today about 3 days ago. 

Alright, I gotta ask, how is a person from Smithtown, NY a Carolina Hurricanes fan? Team ripped my heart out in 1997 when the Whalers announced they were moving to Carolina. Sorry for the off-topic but I keep seeing your icon and I gotta know. We take our Islanders, Rangers, and Devils seriously up here haha. 

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

Alright, I gotta ask, how is a person from Smithtown, NY a Carolina Hurricanes fan? Team ripped my heart out in 1997 when the Whalers announced they were moving to Carolina. Sorry for the off-topic but I keep seeing your icon and I gotta know. We take our Islanders, Rangers, and Devils seriously up here haha. 

I'll PM you

• Thanks 1

• wdrag changed the title to Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic