• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Way too early for amounts 

What? We are 2 days out. 1-3” is a safe bet, we should all be approaching 5” of snow for the season by this weekend (not inland people).

have to figure we get at least another few inches by the end of march. So maybe we will nickel and dime our way to 10” of snow this winter 

• Like 2

Just now, psv88 said:

What? We are 2 days out. 1-3” is a safe bet, we should all be approaching 5” of snow for the season by this weekend (not inland people).

have to figure we get at least another few inches by the end of march. So maybe we will nickel and dime our way to 10” of snow this winter 

I think 1-3 is a good call but this can still trend either way. I would wait till tomorrow .

Maybe today we’ll see the bump north we usually get with these systems. Let’s see what the other models have to say. If we get a little less confluence and slightly better S/W it can happen. Won’t be a major event but a 3-5” type outcome isn’t off the table. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I think 1-3 is a good call but this can still trend either way. I would wait till tomorrow .

I would wait till later Friday evening..................In other words - now casting

2 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Expect a light snowfall and enjoy whatever we get. at least it wont wash away with rain Friday night.

Agree

This is a general 1-2 inch storm with slightly more whoever gets in the banding. We will not know about that until it gets closer. 

This would have been a big storm if the flow wasn't fast.

A quick note on ratios:

Unlike with the January 6-7 storm that had above freezing temperatures throughout the duration of the storm in the New York City area and saw very low snow-to-liquid ratios, this storm will have above climatological ratios in the New York City area. From this far out, the soundings can still miss details necessary to really pin down the ratios. Nevertheless, looking at historic cases with a high temperature of 28°-32°  and precipitation amounts of 0.05"-0.25" for the January 15-February 15 period in New York City's climate record, one can have confidence in higher ratios.

There were 64 such cases since 1869. The mean snow-to-liquid ratio was 13.3:1. The median snow-to-liquid ratio was 12.5:1.

image.png.902c0d49f1e8e997b3ccef2873f5f042.png

Given the historic data and early soundings, my starting assumption is that the snow-to-liquid ratio for the upcoming storm will fall somewhere between 12:1 and 15:1.

So, at this point my thinking is that this system will bring a general 1"-3"/2"-4"-type snowfall to New York City and Newark. As most of this snow will fall during the daytime on Friday, the record streak without 2" daily snowfall is likely to end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1