• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Just noticed a broken line of snow showers moving south from just south of ALB and I-88 to near Scranton.  Wind shift/arctic boundary?

Probably.. our dewpoint right now at 630P iOS still 19 so may wring out some more snow. Had a pretty good rate of fluff accum 430-6P.  Now at 2.5" It is beautiful here.  

I saw some CP pix on TV and 0.1 is incorrect in CP. My take is that there was at least 0.5" in CP based on what I saw... maybe more.  I saw the .04 w.e at CP and 0.1" snowfall in the 4P CLI.  Something isn't right with a max of 32 at CP. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Probably.. our dewpoint right now at 630P iOS still 19 so may wring out some more snow. Had a pretty good rate of fluff accum 430-6P.  Now at 2.5" It is beautiful here.  

I saw some CP pix on TV and 0.1 is incorrect in CP. My take is that there was at least 0.5" in CP based on what I saw... maybe more.  I saw the .04 w.e at CP and 0.1" snowfall in the 4P CLI.  Something isn't right with a max of 32 at CP. 

We made it to 1.5" in Sparta.  Been pleasantly surprised with a little burst this evening - even though there isn't much on radar.  I was just out, roads are slick in spots, caution is warranted.  In fact, it's still snowing some, and I can see both the moon and Venus breaking through.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Don and others... any pix from the vicinity.  What I saw on TV 4 in CP was more than 0.4". 

Unfortunately, I wasn't there. However, it's possible that the amount was fairly reasonable. I was in Rye at lunchtime and took a few photos. The actual snowfall there was around 0.5" when I stopped by (additional light snow fell afterward for about two hours probably bringing the actual figure to around an inch or so). Behind the mansion (out of view), there are some wooden steps that are not sheltered and provide a reasonable basis for measurement. A lot of the preceding snowfall encased in ice had not melted, so the ground looked more like an inch or two.

image.jpeg.34ddbea13c31ffe68f20be2e97327c8b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The grass is covered back up here on the south shore so it’s something. I’m sure it’s a lot better at my house where there’s maybe 2” new. Here in Long Beach it didn’t even cover my black car (which probably warmed up more from the sun). But grass/old snow is freshened up. 

wow you had more than I did then.  I just had a slight accumulation on wires and tree branches, nothing else.  I wouldn't even call it 0.1-- it's going down as a Trace.

22 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Walt, by JFK it wasn't even 0.1" more like a Trace.  The sun was shining through the clouds the entire time and the snow was barely of light intensity at any time and very small flakes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Walt, by JFK it wasn't even 0.1" more like a Trace.  The sun was shining through the clouds the entire time and the snow was barely of light intensity at any time and very small flakes.

Are you really gonna argue between a trace and a few tenths? 

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

This says. 4

Our preliminary snow totals as of 5 pm...

Central Park: 0.4"

JFK: 0.3"

LGA: 1.3"

EWR: 0.6"

ISP: 0.5" 

BDR: 0.5"

NWS office (Upton, NY): 1.1"

Danbury, CT: 1.2"

Chester, NY: 1.7"

that 0.3" at JFK is a joke unless there was a massive drop off here, about 5 miles east of there, it's going down as a trace, it wasn't even 0.1"

Just now, LibertyBell said:

that 0.3" at JFK is a joke unless there was a massive drop off here, about 5 miles east of there, it's going down as a trace, it wasn't even 0.1"

They had several hours of snowfall with visibility around 2 miles. 5 miles can be a big difference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Still have some lgt snow falling here..

Nice all day snow 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Got 3” on the ground now. You shouldn’t have moved to southeast Suffolk 

Holbrook is the boom/bust part of Suffolk. Max out on storms like the Jan 2022 blizzard and the big offshore storms that blast New England, get skunked today. I’d still take that trade over Merrick where he came from. In S Nassau you can’t seem to win with any setup. 

Looks great at my house now, definitely way more than Long Beach got. Nice fluff storm here. I definitely traded up snow wise as sad as it’s been. 

• Like 4