• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 12:30 pm we hit the 2.0" mark!  Woohoo!  That was 0.4"/hr the last 30 minutes.  Coming down moderately, still with beautiful dendrites.  I've never tried to measure snow ratios before, but I might give it a try, as I think we're probably in the 15:1 or more neighborhood.  Gorgeous.  And the radar still looks pretty good for the next 30 min.  Still 29F.  

Great little event. The 2.0 mostly fell in a 2 hour period which makes it impressive. Good snow growth and ratios helped a ton. Btw. Keep the weather updates coming on We love Metuchen the people like your accuracy 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kjtc1979 said:

I was a school principal for ten years, and we had the authority to make the call to close on our own.  My rule of thumb was to close the day before if there was a credible threat.  The days of waiting until the snow is on the ground and accumulating depended heavily on their being a parent at home to pick up/watch the kids.  These days, parents need as much time as possible to know schools are closed, so they can make child care arrangements. 

State laws require X number of school days per year, so the students will just be in on another day this year.  It's always better to err on the side of caution and just make the day up later in the year.  Everyone's safe and you don't waste an instructional day on a half empty school building.

Were you around in 94? We ran out of days. Went to June 30th. Part of that was Whitman's decision to declare a state of emergency in NJ for....frigid temps ( talk about Murphy all you want, there is precedence here ). Schools heard that and closed for the WEEK. And what did her education secretary say? ( Leo Klagholz, who never worked in a public school ) " I heard the governor declare a state of emergency; I did not hear her say to close the schools." Private schools, of course, did not bother to make up all the days, but we did. I was in Elizabeth where they normally didn't close for snow.

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

But they didn’t know that. They were going by forecasts.

But in the 80s and 90s we never had school canceled beforehand and really didn't get early dismissals either

Yep. As others pointed out, times have changed. It never used to be cancelled ahead of time for borderline events, because sometimes they bust. But posters made good points  on why it's reasonable to cancel beforehand these days. 

I still can't get over the fact that we can't even get a dusting on car tops here today. This is one of the most disappointing events that we've had in recent years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Hrrr keeps it going through about 3 then it just goes poof

I have seen that dozens of times over the years and I cannot quite figure it out; it's like we are too far south for the NW storms, and too far north for the coastal ones. Could use one more decent band here. At least one made it....

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Yep. As others pointed out, times have changed. It never used to be cancelled ahead of time for borderline events, because sometimes they bust. But posters made good points  on why it's reasonable to cancel beforehand these days. 

I still can't get over the fact that we can't even get a dusting on car tops here today. This is one of the most disappointing events that we've had in recent years. 

It's freshening up the grass and trees.  Might make a run at an inch

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

Its funny how its only sticking to the snow on the ground. My driveway is just starting to get covered and the roads are completely clear.

My measurements later might be on top of crusty old snow and ice.

Great snow day, lol

I am not far from you and it is not even sticking to my untreated driveway. Maybe 1/2 inch sticking to a brick landscape wall on my patio and only a dusting is sticking the cars. Pretty much a nothingburger here thus far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

There's another factor; attendance in general has dropped like a rock. And that's on a normal day. Any kind of weather and even fewer show up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Nailed it 

What a difference a few miles can make. Here it's the most disappointing event in quite awhile. Never would have thought you would get 2-3 while I struggle to get a dusting on car tops. What a sharp cutoff with this event. 

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

What a difference a few miles can make. Here it's the most disappointing event in quite awhile. Never would have thought you would get 2-3 while I struggle to get a dusting on car tops. What a sharp cutoff with this event. 

Yup. A few miles north of me has over an inch apparently. I got nothing 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

and if the sun breaks through like reported north of us most of it will melt - I can still see blades of grass in areas of my lawn

Oh its really pathetic here. But its all we got. Just seen a plow go by and a salter and have no idea what they were plowing. I did take the snow blower out of mothballs in the hopes for 3 inches but it will not be needed.

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I have seen that dozens of times over the years and I cannot quite figure it out; it's like we are too far south for the NW storms, and too far north for the coastal ones. Could use one more decent band here. At least one made it....

Snow in these parts, "Is a miracle"

SnowTriangle.jpg

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Oh it’s really pathetic here. But it’s all we got. Just seen a plow go by and a salter and have no idea what they were plowing. I did take the snow blower out of mothballs in the hopes for 3 inches but it will not be needed.

I may have to put fuel stabilizer in my snowblower at this rate 

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Oh its really pathetic here. But its all we got. Just seen a plow go by and a salter and have no idea what they were plowing. I did take the snow blower out of mothballs in the hopes for 3 inches but it will not be needed.

Let's hope we get a good event in February. We need it after today's disappointment. 

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Sorry. It really was all about a northern band that we got lucky with 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Oh it’s really pathetic here. But it’s all we got. Just seen a plow go by and a salter and have no idea what they were plowing. I did take the snow blower out of mothballs in the hopes for 3 inches but it will not be needed.

We have a solid 2 inches here I can’t believe you have nothing being so close to my location 

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

0 here

Where in Brooklyn are you? 

In Bed Stuy here and been light-moderate for a while - moments of solid low-viz. Approaching 1/2" on cold surfaces.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlizzLuv said:

I am not far from you and it is not even sticking to my untreated driveway. Maybe 1/2 inch sticking to a brick landscape wall on my patio and only a dusting is sticking the cars. Pretty much a nothingburger here thus far.

On top of the crust from Tuesday there is nearly 1.5".  On my deck an inch.  But all other area's minus my back paver walkway its just wet.  Hoping to get out later to have a drink withh friends.

• Like 3