• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

Schools also close because they rely on state funding which is often determined by attendance. If they suspect that attendance will be extremely low, they will take a funding hit for the day/days. If they close for inclement weather (which is built into their calendar) they get full funding. NYC no longer builds snow days into the calendar. All closures now revert to remote instruction, where we are accountable for attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

They only close schools here over 12 inches of snow .

Because schools are generally close to where you live in urban areas and people can walk to them also. Up by me in Dutchess county most school systems cover large areas so it's a problem with buses driving in snow or ice. We had about 3 inches last storm and schools were closed. It's not uncommon in more rural areas. There are normally 5 days allotted every winter for snow days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Because schools are generally close to where you live in urban areas and people can walk to them also. Up by me in Dutchess county most school systems cover large areas so it's a problem with buses driving in snow or ice. We had about 3 inches last storm and schools were closed. It's not uncommon in more rural areas. There are normally 5 days allotted every winter for snow days. 

At one time this was mostly true, but with the concerted attempts to dismantle public schools, many urban children now attend charters ( which are public in name only ) which can be way across town; some families have kids in multiple charters. 

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

At one time this was mostly true, but with the concerted attempts to dismantle public schools, many urban children now attend charters ( which are public in name only ) which can be way across town; some families have kids in multiple charters. 

True, but misleading.  Dissolving the public schools was never an intention.  Dissolving blanket BOE curriculum and protocol was the idea.  Different areas and different cultures see advantageous results from different format. 

• Weenie 1

NYC technically doesn’t have a set criteria for closing. We close mainly over 12 inches, or when the city deems it too dangerous. But with snow and ice it has a lot to do with yellow busing. If buses cannot run they will now shift to remote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dseagull said:

It comes down to lawsuits.  That's the gist of it.   Friends and family in my generation always ask why school is dismissed or cancelled for seemingly benign weather events.  It's always about liability, and the general trend to be more cautious.   Not necessarily a bad thing, except for those who need to make last minute arrangements for childcare.  Times change.   It will be interesting to see whether the bullish forecasts by NWS verify.  They have the tools and expertise, so who am I to doubt them.  

I respect the risk evaluation system they have created, similarly to that of the Coast Guard.  Human life is valued and more heavily weighted in these equations. 

back in the 70s and 80s when I was in school we got by just fine and never really heard on accidents in my area

Its likely the qualifications of bus drivers have  probably dropped dramtically from the old days...

18 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It's just different up here and in other more rural areas. 5 snow days are allotted every school year and if they aren't used then the schools close a few days early in late June. Every school in the state has to be open 180 days I believe. 

5 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

None of them showed snow for us today and yet it snowed and is flurring once again. The radar also is looking pretty gd coming north.

Models do not show flurries because that is not accumulated precip. Model soundings have had hints at flurries today for awhile. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

One would think it’s currently light snow on western li based on the radar. But not even a flurry. So we are fight dry air. I get ratios will be high but I think we loose allot to virga. 

Seen this show before, I remember a couple of these in 18-19 that dried up as soon as the snow got to Trenton and DC/Baltimore got warning snow. This looks to be another of those. Might not be much of anything here given the trends. The snow will head northeast until it hits the confluence brick wall. Just can't catch a break.

• Like 1