joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WINDEX threat 1/14

ORH_wxman

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some other notable WINDEX events I remember: 

Mar 3, 1996

Boy do I remember that day as my son was born.  I was living in Stowe, ex started having contractions at 7 am and I think we finally left for the hospital in Morrisville at noon.  What is normally a 10 minute drive turned into 30.  It was snowing so hard and was so incredibly windy.  Rt 100 was a mess with drifts forming across the road all along the rt.  White knuckle the whole way with a woman having contractions.  Never knew it was a windex event!

4 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Aye that's my fav storm of all time. I thought yours was 12/30/00

Lol, nah 12/30 is the storm that turned me into a :weenie: but 2/5 is my favorite

P.S. I tried to PM you a few days ago. Do you still venture to the ghetto of South Main for RC?

• Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Doesn’t look as impressive as it did yesterday.

That's usually the case with these windex systems. It's very difficult to pinpoint the evolution of isolated events, especially in an area that doesn't usually get them per climo. I always keep my expectations low with these.

1 hour ago, Patrick-02540 said:

I didn't realize there was something called a "Squall Warning."  According to the NY office.  

Yeah, I was at my son's lacrosse game at Pace U. in Westchester County in February 22.  Suddenly, everyone's phone started beeping the warning.  Of course, there was one nerd in the stands who didn't need a phone warning!  The campus received 2" in 30 minutes, amazing stuff.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

True but ground temps definitely won't allow any accumulation on pavement. Maybe on grassy surfaces with good rates.

I wouldn’t expect much anyways for accumulations around here unless you get lucky for a half hour. Could get some big gusts though with this. Seems like best support is north of the pike, but they’ll be areas to the south that get it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn’t expect much anyways for accumulations around here unless you get lucky for a half hour. Could get some big gusts though with this. Seems like best support is north of the pike, but they’ll be areas to the south that get it.

Yeah I honestly cant ever remember a time when this area got any decent accumulations from a squall. Maybe a coating at most but thats the ceiling. Always take the under with these. Would be cool to see some big gusts and brief whiteout but even that seems like a transient threat here.

On 1/13/2024 at 7:54 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Figured I would start a different thread for this because it has continued to improve on model guidance over the past 24-36 hours. Sunday afternoon is starting to look pretty prime for some squalls. 

If we go over our old school WINDEX checklist, we look for below ingredients:

1. Low level moisture

2. steep lapse rates

3. strong LI spike (source of lift)

4. Cyclonic PVA (really this just enhances #3, but it can make an event higher end)

All 4 of these ingredients are present in a pretty big way on Sunday.

We have LL moisture in the 65-90% range which is excellent. 

We have extremely steep lapse rates (TTs near 60!) and saturation up to around 600mb

Have a huge LI spike of 16-18 in 12 hours and to assist that we have strong PVA with that nice shortwave. 

Below is the 06z NAM for tomorrow afternoon…you can see where I circled the potent vortmax (there’s our strong PVA) and then you even have a sfc response from with that clear kink in the isobars (marked on the right)…that helps veer those winds to more southerly component ahead of the front which is what we like to see because it helps pool moisture…same thing we look for in warm season Tstorm/severe threats. 

These types of setups are where you can pick up a quick 1-2”…perhaps even an isolated higher amount if you get into some good squalls…in addition, we’re going to have rapidly falling temps from the mid 30s down into the lower 20s within a few hours, so we’ll need to watch for flash freeze on roads in some areas. 

IMG_0082.jpeg

I want to be different and tell you this is a BAD, BAD thread. BAD BOY! 

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you aren’t raining for long with 516 thicknesses. 

Yesterday I was musing about the front edge being a single clap of thunder with a mix of small rain drops and big aggregate snow balls that mimic soft hail, going sideways under a rapidly advancing outflow nimbus belly, soon to flash over to the whiteout snow squall ...ending in 10 minutes.

It's like if you went 2/3rds or something up the vertical column of the typical squall line in summer, and brought that region down and made that the bottom of the storm ... sort of -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

This still looks impressive especially for areas in VT, NH as well as NE half of MASS.. Lost some luster down for CT as it may be a little later developer so I'm 50/50 on whether its just your run of the mill 15 minute snow squall or something better. 

Headed down your way for kids winter baseball workouts (zone nation I believe) I am sure if we get them, it will be around that time, so expect a full on mini blizzard down there around 130 this afternoon....lol