ORH_wxman

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some other notable WINDEX events I remember: 

Feb 10, 2008

Feb 2, 2001

Mar 3, 1996

Nov 23, 1994

Dec 1, 2003

We had a good one in I think Feb 1989…awful winter but good squall that dumped a quick inch  can’t remember exact date though.

The 1/28/10 event though was by far the largest for me since it dumped a quick 4”…the 1-2” events happen every now and then but 4” is rare outside of the mountain-enhanced terrain spots.

I had no idea there was one 3 days before my favorite storm (2/5/01). Was that more up your way?

• Like 1

Just now, H2Otown_WX said:

Yeah that was 1/28/10

yeah was nuts, I think there was a lawsuit or something that came out of that, because there were kids stuck on a bus on a hill until like night time, and I think another accident...they dismissed school early past tuesday because of wind...pfft! it's breezy out, send em home early!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

I had no idea there was one 3 days before my favorite storm (2/5/01). Was that more up your way?

that was a good year, I was rewiring a bank mostly second shift, in Fairfield and at noon they told us to call it, but it came down so hard and fast the Merritt was stopped and we got to Rt8 an hour later, didn't get home until like 10 that night, unsure if it was the Feb storm, but some fun ones that season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

That was a beauty, had the rates of 2013 but it was day light, I’ll never forget watching that band pivot in on radar that afternoon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Starts out in PA but it gets better as it heads east and the mesolow tries to form. Someone could pick up advisory snowfall if they get a little mesolow pivot…we’ll see if that develops or not but most likely spot would be NNE…can’t rule out a bit further south though for the beginning of the enhancement. Should at least be interesting to track. 

Looks like it gets going near the coast off of Maine.

You know what this reminds me of a bit ?

In 2003 ( I think it was...), I was living in Winchester, MA.

There was a lakes cutter and southerly warm gale event ... wanna say Dec 2nd or so... then two days later, we had a front go through with some rain and snow showers mixed and it got intermediate colder.  Then a day or so later, morning WINDEX squalls strafed with very low visibility and temps crashing from mid or upper 30s into the 20s.  About 1-2" is all they laid down, but... I-95 between Danvers and the Bedford curves became 10 miles of stand still gridlock.  It became a headline news thing over 1-2" of snow flash freezing... 

3 days later the Dec 5-7 event

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know what this reminds me of a bit ?

In 2003 ( I think it was...), I was living in Winchester, MA.

There was a lakes cutter and southerly warm gale event ... wanna say Dec 2nd or so... then two days later, we had a front go through with some rain and snow showers mixed and it got intermediate colder.  Then a day or so later, morning WINDEX squalls strafed with very low visibility and temps crashing from mid or upper 30s into the 20s.  About 1-2" is all they laid down, but... I-95 between Danvers and the Bedford curves became 10 miles of stand still gridlock.  It became a headline news thing over 1-2" of snow flash freezing... 

3 days later the Dec 5-7 event

LOL I brought up that one. I had classes in Lowell that I missed because of that. Cars were sliding down the Zakim bridge into the tunnel in that. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are we thinking the big gusts tomorrow will be embedded in the squalls.. or will they be out ahead of them , and then behind in the CAA?

Maybe some of the stronger gusts will be embedded in the squalls, but there is enough CAA / gradient winds to make it gusty much of the day.  Lots of dead trees out there just looking for a reason to fall... Had 2 trees come down in town already when winds started to crank this afternoon...  we've had multiple gusts into the mid 30's and just recorded a 40 mph gust.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL I brought up that one. I had classes in Lowell that I missed because of that. Cars were sliding down the Zakim bridge into the tunnel in that. 

Hilarious! That gives me a perfect mental picture… “Cars sliding down to Zakim Bridge into the tunnel”

7 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Maybe some of the stronger gusts will be embedded in the squalls, but there is enough CAA / gradient winds to make it gusty much of the day.  Lots of dead trees out there just looking for a reason to fall... Had 2 trees come down in town already when winds started to crank this afternoon...  we've had multiple gusts into the mid 30's and just recorded a 40 mph gust.

It’s been ripping here for a few hours in spurts . Finally a nice extended winter stretch with cold and snows 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FXWX said:

More gusty here in this, than the first cutter Tuesday night for me lol.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Yeah, it's blowing right now, going to have a yard full of branches again, I'm getting sick of cleaning the yard, I hope we get a good coating of snow, and I won't have bother with it until spring.

Get after it . Nothing worse than having sticks and limbs sticking up thru the snow. And the dark color melts the snow around it faster 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

HRRR loses the mesolow, but that’s a potent looking line. These are some of the highest TTs I’ve seen...lots of low 60s and even a weenie 64 here.

IMG_3935.png

That 700-500 lapse rates is pretty absurd for around here. I've seen 7.5-8 om winter with these Arctic vorts but nearing 9...wow

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Chickens in coops airborne and lifted to Lewiston?

Damage comes in many flavors.  My neighbor's three donkeys escaped last night when a branch crashed into the pen and wrecked the fence.  A pack of coyotes is gonna have a feast tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Damage comes in many flavors.  My neighbor's three donkeys escaped last night when a branch crashed into the pen and wrecked the fence.  A pack of coyotes is gonna have a feast tonight.  

Probably not. Shepards often keep donkeys with their sheep to protect them. They will stomp coyotes. 

• Like 2