Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Something like this is probably what we need. I don't see how it gets better than this. Need the energy embedded in the flow overtop the ridge to phase with TPV vorticity and sharpen and really dig. The PNA ridge axis is also a pretty important factor here. The southern stream is just meh. Has looked that way forever with this threat. No matter what it seems the tendency is for the low to form a bit late and strengthen offshore. Need it to pop to our south and not at our latitude to have a legit chance.

1705665600-mOWAMLYThl8.png

1705665600-9Uupu33EDBU.png

Even that run was kinda meh. I went and looked at the individual members from the last few ensembles. I noticed something. The handful of members with a big 10”+ hit for DC there is a theme where it seems they run the NS wave way out ahead and wash it out then a stj wave develops behind that wave and phase with the trailing energy as the tail of the trough rotates down. 

Maybe the truth is there is no path with that NS SW we’re keying on now. If we want a big storm we need that to get out of the way so the energy rounding the tail of the trough can phase with thr stj?  Dunno just an observation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's a screwjob.  H5 got better.  sfc got worse

I thought it was going to be better too. But classic DC split. We really needed a dominant stj wave to come along. If it’s all NS we’re fighting an uphill battle. 

If you guys think Boxing Day was bad, try growing up in the 80s and 90s. It seemed like every winter had at least one failed event, usually because of the mountains and/or temps. Models are way better now. That said, there were also a lot more surprises to cancel things out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

If you guys think Boxing Day was bad, try growing up in the 80s and 90s. It seemed like every winter had at least one failed event, usually because of the mountains and/or temps. Models are way better now. That said, there were also a lot more surprises to cancel things out.

Geez, at least I had the "decency" to not explicitly spell the name out!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I thought it was going to be better too. But classic DC split. We really needed a dominant stj wave to come along. If it’s all NS we’re fighting an uphill battle. 

Has the STJ been unusually dormant for a Nino?  My understanding is that STJ systems are the Nino bread and butter but seems less fruitful than hoped so far.

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

Has the STJ been unusually dormant for a Nino?  My understanding is that STJ systems are the Nino bread and butter but seems less fruitful than hoped so far.

It hasn't been dormant at all actually, lol It's been very active: but slightly suppressed under the tpv that's been over us this month. When you look at model runs, look at the waves coming across the south. It's definitely there!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic