• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but it’s an important aspect that’s not settled and it’s closer to initialization than our actual storm. Check out the PNA ridge. Euro camp has a wave embedded here in the flow which actually impacts things very much. Here is 18z control vs 18z GFS. One is not like the other, and it’s not even close. Euro has a kicker, gfs does not. That’s the type of large scale feature we should see a cave from one side very soon, probably the GFS

Uhhhh…

72dda5914ff44889e40c6120f60191bd.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but it’s an important aspect that’s not settled and it’s closer to initialization than our actual storm. Check out the PNA ridge. Euro camp has a wave embedded here in the flow which actually impacts things very much. Here is 18z control vs 18z GFS. One is not like the other, and it’s not even close. Euro has a kicker, gfs does not. That’s the type of large scale feature we should see a cave from one side very soon, probably the GFS

Uhhhh…

Yeah I pointed that out earlier today.

thing is, canadian had it too, just not as strong and further back. What the euro showed didn’t make sense to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah, so have I. I don’t know if I’ll even bother doing a full outlook for it unless either enso or pdo suddenly flip. Maybe a 4 bullet point outlook with a one-liner statement instead of a 30 page report. 

I’ll probably invest that time into planning a winter trip out west. 

Here is my early preview of my winter 2024-25 forecast. 
IMG_0907.thumb.jpeg.dbe33b19f5b2764b9748c94196f91621.jpeg
IMG_0908.webp.49f7f841d208fcd9ed94223740164076.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Uhhhh…

If that kicker is modeled more accurately by the Euro, it certainly flattens the flow and dampens out our wave, not really having any chance at the phase the GFS is now onboard showing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Uhhhh…

Just checked back at previous euro runs, and they all had that feature even when they had the closer track. So I’m less sure now that it makes a difference, unless the kicker is getting stronger and faster. The atmosphere up that way is pretty chaotic so I don’t think any of the models are right about what will happen up there. May be even more of a wildcard than the cutter’s evolution

12 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

@psuhoffmanThe 1/22/87 was one of my favorites. I think you're few years younger than me so I'm not sure how much you remember about the storm and the forecast leading u to it. My best recollection was that it was poorly forecasted. I believe there was a lot of uncertainty right up to game time. Most calls for the Baltimore area was for 2-4 with some 3-6 with a change to rain. Pretty sure schools started out with a 2 hour delay then changed to closed.  By mid-morning light snow transitioned into heavy snow. By noon temperatures began falling making it evident there would be no changeover. Snow remained heavy hour after hour. Rates were at least 2 inches an hour at times. There was thunder snow during the afternoon. NWS played catch up all day. 3-6 became 4-8 then 6-12 and finally 12-18.  Snow tapered off by evening with totals where I lived 1 mile north of the beltway in Pikesville/Owings Mills in the 16-18 range. BWI was officially 12. Phenomenal storm which for me had scaled down similarities to the 83 storm. 83 was colder and of course had much higher totals but 87 was similar in duration and sustained snowfall intensity rates. Also heck of an arctic shot behind the storm which led to perhaps one of the driest snows I've ever experienced just 3 days later on Superbowl Sunday. That follow-up storm gave me about 6 of cold smoke powder. Our current area was probably fringed a bit lol. with 4 or so. Just to the south and southeast got much heavier amounts. Great little stretch of intense winter that would essentially be it for the winter other than the Feb. 87 wet snow paste job.

I remember they sent us to school in NJ expecting rain. I have a vivid memory of boarding a bus in a very chaotic early release while it was pouring snow and getting deep. 

I know from reading analysis of that storm they expected the mid level warmth to push further NW given the lack of a high but the low tracked a little further east and was so intense that dynamic cooling offset the warming until the dryslot. 

• Like 2

I remember they sent us to school in NJ expecting rain. I have a vivid memory of boarding a bus in a very chaotic early release while it was pouring snow and getting deep. 

I know from reading analysis of that storm they expected the mid level warmth to push further NW given the lack of a high but the low tracked a little further east and was so intense that dynamic cooling offset the warming until the dryslot. 

Translation: heavy rain in 2024

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

If the gfs caves it’s tonight. It’s pretty reliable within a certain time frame and if we can get last 00z and 12z tomorrow we’re good

Bad shit can happen at 6z…wake up, take a leak, check 6z, put whiskey in coffee…seen it happen 100,000 times already this winter alone

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

2010-11 and 2004-05 were not bad winters

Just because I hate myself that much about a month ago I looked at where we were likely heading with QBO, enso, PDO, AMO and solar. And I used the same matrix I always use to identify the 5 best analogs.  There is a reason I didn’t share. I figured I’d keep my nightmares to myself.  But since you asked.  here ya go 

Analog h5

IMG_0904.png.58d6e078a8a642a954906a45da3b60c6.png

analog temps 

IMG_0905.png.52a003016c5ef64e812e02566534f04a.png

DC Avg snow 3” 

sweet dreams 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic