• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

Looks like the HRRR keeps the strongest portion of the forced line farther south. That will be a nowcasting event but I think it at least crosses somewhere in SNE. I'm expecting we'll see some severe thunderstorm warnings late overnight and a swath of wind gusts 60-70 mph. Outages are going to lite up like crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like the HRRR keeps the strongest portion of the forced line farther south. That will be a nowcasting event but I think it at least crosses somewhere in SNE. I'm expecting we'll see some severe thunderstorm warnings late overnight and a swath of wind gusts 60-70 mph. Outages are going to lite up like crazy. 

Further south like south of LI?

Breezy 

Coastal Waters from Eastport, ME to Schoodic Point, ME out 25 NM-
Coastal Waters from Schoodic Point, ME to Stonington, ME out
25 NM-
Intra Coastal Waters from Schoodic Point, ME to Stonington, ME-
1029 AM EST Tue Jan 9 2024

...HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO
1 PM EST WEDNESDAY...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

They’re right on the lake so not surprising there. BUF is calling this wind a potential generational event. 

I had that in mine fortunately lol

Yeah I just don't see this being a generational event around here. Not based on models and what people are saying.

5 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Yeah I just don't see this being a generational event around here. Not based on models and what people are saying.

I'm concerned it's going to be a generator-ational event.  Got plenty of gas and the generator already staged but would definitely prefer to keep the lights on.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Was speaking specifically about WNY. That kind of signal isn’t present out our way. 

13 minutes ago, Shaun Curry said:

And trees off of the house.

Unfortunately, I've got some big pines real close to the house.  Four on my property that could be a problem with a robust N/NE wind which we thankfully rarely get here.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Layman said:

Unfortunately, I've got some big pines real close to the house.  Four on my property that could be a problem with a robust N/NE wind which we thankfully rarely get here.  

Same here.  Thankfully I have nothing on the property within a 1/4 mile on the east, south, and west sides.  Lost three trees on the north side last year on 12/23, but they blew over to the north on southerly gusts, away from the house.  You have to plant pine trees in relatively close circular clumps of 6 so that they each buffer one other from the gusts up here.  Several neighbors had put them in rows for windbreaks, and they're all lost within 20 years.     

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Layman said:

My Mom had a large pine hit her house on the 18th and did significant damage. Luckily she wasn't hurt. We don't need those bog winds despite some calling for destruction

image.png.0f30c20eef2a74e850170cf09bb4c46e.pngimage.png.b105a7e28fe3eab166ed6730f2336e0e.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Same here.  Thankfully I have nothing on the property within a 1/4 mile on the east, south, and west sides.  Lost three trees on the north side last year on 12/23, but they blew over to the north on southerly gusts, away from the house.  You have to plant pine trees in relatively close circular clumps of 6 so that they each buffer one other from the gusts up here.  Several neighbors had put them in rows for windbreaks, and they're all lost within 20 years.     

That 12/23 storm that rolled through made for some serious spring clean-up work last year.  We lost the biggest and lowest pine branches off a group that's far enough from the house to not be a concern but it took days with a chainsaw to clean them up.  The pines close to the house sound similar to yours in that they're bunched up and somewhat protecting each other.  It can be unnerving to look up at them during those windy storms.  The 4 I mentioned are just on my property, the abutting property has a lot more and a couple could reach but if that happens, it's a bad day for everyone!  Got to be some serious event for that to happen.  

Good luck tonight!

• Like 1