• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/8-1/10 Potential Winter Storm

Regardless of the exact outcome snow wise, this storm is a big win for the medium-long range guidance. The general idea of a deepening SLP track toward the western Great Lakes has been locked in at a well above average lead time.

• Like 11

IWX is calling for 3-5" for MBY on Monday night with the front end dump, just to get washed away after sunrise. Talk about a stat padder. Several inches of snow that will not be enjoyed.

Oh, we might get a consolation prize with the backwash. It would be nice to lay even a coating to enjoy and perhaps help in the coming days.

Wonder when the models will pick up on the dynamic cooling?

What is preventing this from moving SE again all?

Why wouldn’t you expect it to trend NW over time? It’s a strong, deepening low that wants to go poleward. The sampling that has been done IMO has allowed the models to produce a more realistic solution.

I’m still concerned about the dry air intrusion in that second window, would not be shocked at all to see QPF impacted from the possible MDT risk event occurring in the Gulf Coast region

1 minute ago, nwohweather said:

Why wouldn’t you expect it to trend NW over time? It’s a strong, deepening low that wants to go poleward. The sampling that has been done IMO has allowed the models to produce a more realistic solution.

I’m still concerned about the dry air intrusion in that second window, would not be shocked at all to see QPF impacted from the possible MDT risk event occurring in the Gulf Coast region

Not saying that wont happen, what if the cold is underdone?  Anyways that does not answer my question, forgive me but what factors should prevent a SE shift?

9 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

Not saying that wont happen, what if the cold is underdone?  Anyways that does not answer my question, forgive me but what factors should prevent a SE shift?

A slightly faster and weaker/flatter solution would tend to shift it back SE.  But it would be a weaker system

6 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

A slightly faster and weaker/flatter solution would tend to shift it back SE.  But it would be a weaker system

it's everyone for themselves. Do you want a amped 3"or a flat 6". I know where I stand.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

it's everyone for themselves. Do you want a amped 3"or a flat 6". I know where I stand.
Easy to forget because we've been tracking so long, but a SLP pressure in the 980s is plenty strong for this area. If low-mid 980s means more snow for more of the metro, easy choice.

Need the track to not be hard NNE from near STL to keep the dry slot and warmer temps aloft farther southeast. A slightly weaker system would help with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Easy to forget because we've been tracking so long, but a SLP pressure in the 980s is plenty strong for this area. If low-mid 980s means more snow for more of the metro, easy choice.

Need the track to not be hard NNE from near STL to keep the dry slot and warmer temps aloft farther southeast. A slightly weaker system would help with that.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Gfs had it move due north for 3 hours.. That seems hard to imagine..no?

Bingo. It’s one thing that really jumps off the page to me with the guidance thru hour 144, these are some rather impressive SLP’s from a pure barometric standpoint.

What I’m curious about is why are we seeing such strength? Typically we see 995ish storms with 6-10” in its strongest swath, not very deep cyclones
  • Like 1

MKX just came out with their Winter Storm Watches and they have decently strong wording all things considered. image.png.af24572c3bc10871394c0ec1030eac00.png

In fact, with those totals and gusts I wonder if we don't see the B word come out at some point. Some of the open areas are going to be pretty close to that threshold I think on Tuesday. 

(If you saw this on the other thread, no you didn't)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lastest ECMWF SE shift puts me back into the best snows. Still worried about wind off the lake creating p type issues. Let's see if the next GFS run follows suit. As for slp, pretty remarkable how consistent models have been for a sub 980mb low in the great lakes region for over a week. Now the show really begins.

Screenshot_20240107-155140.png

• Like 2