• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Winter Storm

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Salt trucks out in full force this morning for what should be 99% rain here. Guessing the municipalities and pendot are itching to use some of their excess stock from the last 2+ years… what a waste though. 

Tricky situation, though. Rain washes away the salt, but if the ground remains cold enough, the rain freezes on the surface. So it's a question of when, where, how much to put down. Some places are predicting small drops in temperature to 31, 32, 33 overnight which could make some roads treacherous tomorrow morning. These types of storms (snow to mix to rain to mix to rain to snow) are a challenge not only for forecasters but for road crews. 

3 minutes ago, JimE said:

Tricky situation, though. Rain washes away the salt, but if the ground remains cold enough, the rain freezes on the surface. So it's a question of when, where, how much to put down. Some places are predicting small drops in temperature to 31, 32, 33 overnight which could make some roads treacherous tomorrow morning. These types of storms (snow to mix to rain to mix to rain to snow) are a challenge not only for forecasters but for road crews. 

My area isn’t even supposed to get below freezing though. We don’t have a WWA. It’s going to be above freezing when precip starts and won’t fall below freezing until Sunday night. Complete waste of money and resources in the 95 area.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

My area isn’t even supposed to get below freezing though. We don’t have a WWA. It’s going to be above freezing when precip starts and won’t fall below freezing until Sunday night. Complete waste of money and resources in the 95 area.

Your temps probably are different from mine. My air temp is at 33 but the surface temp is lower. The snow, though very light, is beginning to accumulate on parts of the street and driveway. So the surface isn't warm enough to melt it. If it changes to rain before the surface warms there will be ice.

45 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

You forgot a few it runs off into the streams harms fish pollutes our drinking water and eats away at your brakes and undercarriage of the car.