• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

i think it's one of those things where it's better now than it used to be - but there are better sampling capabilities on land for sure. If that kind of thing didn't matter for forecasting still you wouldn't have RAOB balloon launches or anything, I'd imagine

I was mostly being sarcastic there. It definitely makes logical sense that having better / more recent data is helpful in nailing down the details, especially when you’re living on the margins like we are. Hopefully when all the players are on the “field” we see models tick back in our direction a bit (00z tonight will be very telling IMO) The differences in evolution between my area seeing 1-2” and 6-8” are very minute, so anything’s really possible at this point.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

18z NAM actually is better lol. Looks a bit colder - might be picking up on at least some light WAA snows as the system moves in too.

Falls apart really fast. Mountains will hate it. But likely better for DC. 

"South and very weak" scenario.

sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.png

qpf_acc-imp.us_ma.png

18Z NAM even have any precip? These models are all over the place

That’s honestly the reason why I’m not sold on any given outcome for I-95 and points WNW. Snow totals range from 0.5 to 8+” IMBY depending on the model you believe and we’re only 4ish days out.

Shit, we might as well dust off the JMA for this one. What other solutions can we throw at the wall at this point…

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

18z NAM actually is better lol. Looks a bit colder - might be picking up on at least some light WAA snows as the system moves in too.

Can we take the colder airmass on the NAM and apply it to the euro precip?  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

I was living in Woodbridge at the time and recall seeing on the news that Leesburg was getting hammered with snow while it was pouring rain at my house. On that day Leesburg 04 was born

You needed to have a screen name Woodbridge 04

You understand  how bad Woodbridge  is in many snowstorms. 

22 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Good to see your ability to analyze a model has improved. It's best to just not analyze the LR NAM, if we took that approach, you could have saved some face there. Short Pump jackpot. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

77b63711-00fd-4254-9047-2595c91c2d51_tex

You might have better odds playing Craps. At CharlesTown Races and Slots. They have ~500 foot elev AND very far north and west. I know. They tend to get snow many times when Dale City is a sullen gray depressing hard rain.

48 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

On the Lwx forecast discussion they discussed better sampling later tonight as the second shortwave comes on shore on the west coast. Sounded like they expected more model agreement late tonight/ Tomorrow as the shortwaves are both over land. 

Kind of funny to read that. I thought that was an old weenie fable when things don't look great. :lol:

It’s not a fable. In fact, it’s idiotic to think that updated data won’t affect a model output.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic