• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

Hello All!  
I posted a similar question on the Penn sub forum but wanted to ask here as well.  I have a freshman kid at Penn State in State College, PA.  
I am going to drive from DC to State College on Sunday.  I have never driven to SC in winter conditions.  Can anyone give me an idea of how much snow to expect in central PA?  Do any of you know how the roads hold up traveling to State College?
Thank you for Amy information you can share with me!

This storm has sped by so by very early Sunday it won’t be snowing. Roads should be relatively cleared out imo.

3 minutes ago, TinGTown said:

Hello All!  

I posted a similar question on the Penn sub forum but wanted to ask here as well.  I have a freshman kid at Penn State in State College, PA.  

I am going to drive from DC to State College on Sunday.  I have never driven to SC in winter conditions.  Can anyone give me an idea of how much snow to expect in central PA?  Do any of you know how the roads hold up traveling to State College?

I am not a meteorologist so take what I say with a grain of salt and pay attention to the forecast in the coming days. The storm will be out of the area by sunday mid-day, but roads may still be icy. 22/322 are major roads in central PA so they will get priority treatment. Check traffic cams before you leave: https://www.511pa.com/cameralisting.aspx

• Like 1

Forgive me but given the last few years and your MO at first glance I thought it said 
I think 18z euro would have been a torch
As of right now I don’t think anything is “trending” per se.  guidance picked up on a major shift due to that western SW. euro at 6z. Gfs at 12z. Oddly the ggem had this first then reverted to what other guidance had yesterday. But other than catching on to the trend towards stronger trailing SW that dampens our SW they aren’t trending just settling into the new paradigm. 

on a side note the ggem does this a lot.  Will have an idea then just when everything else trends towards it…it goes off on a tangent. I know it scores better than tie gfs but anecdotally it seems less reliable. 

If you compare euro and gfs there’s not a ton of difference. Honestly if you showed me them without reference I’d probably choose the euro as the one I’d expect to be “snowier”. Maybe it’s just the GFS sucks with thermals and is always too cold

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

lol thanks. I'm good. If this winter goes as expected, the last 6 weeks or so of met winter should make most in this region happy. Otherwise, I chase. Kinda thinking about hanging out in Gettysburg this weekend.:bike:

Nice. If you want want to get out of town, the hills NW of Gettysburg are beautiful. Head out route 234 thru arendtsville then up to pine grove furnace. great state park there in the same little mountain ridge zone that makes up catoctin/camp david.

19 minutes ago, TinGTown said:

Hello All!  

They do a great job on the roads up there. You will be fine. 

9 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

IMG_7840.pngIMG_7838.pngIMG_7839.png

Each member is so different from the other.  Hard to find a common thread.  Some are elongated along 95.  Some short and clustered over NE.  Some are way south.  Hard members for sure 

I think Bob Chill said last night if you are looking for a KU system this is not the storm.  I totally agree with that, but something also tells me that this storm is not a nothing.

I just have a feeling with these wild swings in modeling last 15 hours that there is data missing whether it be with the northern stream system, southern stream system, or the placement and modeling of the high to the north.

My gut tells me that starting with 0z tonight and going out to 6z Thursday the weekend event's actual potential comes into view, and we see some positive changes for snow possibilities.

My gut tells me that this is a 3-6" / 4-8" from Washington Dc, Baltimore to Philadelphia to NYC points north and west.  I think the further south and east you go it drops off pretty quick to 1-3" then 1" 45 miles from the coast and zero along the coast.

Just my thinking right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TinGTown said:

Hello All!  

I drove from N. VA to PSU in a few snowstorms. Made the trip during the tail end of the PD2 storm!  They generally take care of the roads. By Sunday should be ok. If it’s iffy at all take 70 to 99 instead of 15 to 322. Now that 99 is finished that might be faster now anyways. Back in my day the quicker route was 322 from Harrisburg but that can get dicier in snow. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

A lot of gfs like solutions in there 

I think that's clearly becoming our path to victory. All southern stream. Weaker but not too weak. 8 to 10 hours of WAA thump. 

Hopefully a moderate 4 to 8 " storm.

• Like 4

Went from a MA special to Congrats New England in under 18 hrs. That's gotta be some sort of record.

I’d lock in that 6-8” all damn day. Honestly, a nice 4-6” storm would be a great way to kick off our new pattern. Certainly prefer the 12+ it showed 1-2 days ago but I won’t be picky given the past several years.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic