• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The one good paste storm I remember in mid winter was 2/5/16.

MLK 2010 was good in ORH (not so much for Tolland…lol)…those pics I posted of 8-10” of paste triggered Kevin into an all time melt. 

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Give me an example of previous ones. Other than Dec ‘92. Huge pasters aren’t THAT common. They typically are smaller events. 

Anyways, there’s a long ways to go in this one. Could easily fall apart but today was a good day for model runs since we’re getting inside 6 days now where you’d expect things to start falling apart if they are going to. Hopefully we can keep this strong on guidance for the next couple days and that will get us inside 100 hours. 

Wasn't 1/3/06 paste? Maybe not in your area...

11 minutes ago, DJln491 said:

gfs basically back to where it was at 6z.  Hopefully 12z was an outlier and it can continue to trend north

It's bit theoretical but a deterministic problem with this 7th system is that it is at the far east end of the R-wave signal.  That's like the flop end of a hose - metaphor obviously. 

This system reaches the greatest constructive interference depth actually back around 100W and is attenuating in the deep layer, buuuut ...it doesn't encounter the baroclinic instability/'gun powder' atmosphere until it reaches the EC.. It's not in ideal phase wrt to the super synoptic wave signature.  Systems that collocate these two aspects, greatest feed-back with developmental cross-sections are actually comparatively easy to call.  I know it's hard to believe after the last 5 years but we've actually had those on the EC before - easier calls from 6 days out actually can happen.

Because this is developing at the attenuating end it doesn't have the surrounding mass field to anchor it from "feeling" tug and pulls from surrounding perturbation in the flow.  You get these run to run shot gun tracks.  

Just to re-iterate ... the main difference between all these solutions really hasn't been in the magnitude of the system. They're all middling Nor'easterns with perhaps moderate impact ... the problem is where precisely.

• Thanks 1