• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

0z HREF now goes out to 0z Monday and the mean is more jacked than any other model (not surprising given what 12z showed )

and the max is kinda funny 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/href/?model=href&product=snowfall_024h_max&sector=neI’m 

just click the top right to get to 0z Monday (on the silver  horizontal time bar)

It’s gone wild for sure

mPYBZN4.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

0z HREF now goes out to 0z Monday and the mean is more jacked than any other model (not surprising given what 12z showed )

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/href/?model=href&product=snowfall_024h_max&sector=neI’m 

just click the top right to get to 0z Monday (on the silver  horizontal time bar)

Congrats scooter 

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya , I know but sometimes when the Ukie moves (it didn’t move it just still sucks ) they think the euro then follows it 

No I hear ya. Obviously I loved the 0z GFS …now that was a great hit here.  Would love to see the Euro follow suit. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Even the mean is nothing to sneeze at:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/href/?model=href&product=snowfall_024h_mean&sector=ne

Just tuning back... everyone in bed, back to storm!

HREF really impressive, even mean snowfall. Anyone know if HREF thermals and/or snow algorithms are less reliable? I ask because mean QPF is very close to NAM, yet HREF has most of ESNE 12-18 mean snowfall.

I do remember clinging to HREF snowfalls that never materialized in past storms, other storms it was pretty accurate.

Warmest mean 2m Temps at 9z Sun:

image.png.2efff204c3889b88e238cc0cb64f9057.pngimage.thumb.png.833cb4be0f1a11c37414549477287610.png

Snow and QPF are not strictly 10:1 so their algorithm / thermals must be more generous than NAM:

image.png.7d85e8c39e6f9d392e754729446b1ea4.pngimage.png.2d9cb70c0a15f4221c7b1d349938331c.png

Left: Snowfall, yellow = 12-15, orange 15-18

Right: QPF, light blue 1.2-1.5, purple 1.5-1.75

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, I am nervous about busting low....but my map is done. I am just to leery of totally biting off on this damn last minute capture.

Fun time . Figure with that 50 knot 850 inflow many interior hills gets smoked 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, I am nervous about busting low....but my map is done. I am just to leery of totally biting off on this damn last minute capture.

Really tough forecast for SNE inside 495 and southeast... not just the capture but the thermals early on... 0z NAM was very cold once things wetbulb, and I think that's notable for a model that tends to be aggressive with warm intrusion.

Hard not to forecast potential for double digits somewhere, most likely Worcester Hills to 495 / northeast MA.

For MBY Boston suburbs... debating 4-8 vs. 6-10, pending trends overnight. I could see a tight gradient where downtown is like 5" whereas Jerry in Chestnut Hill closer to 8-10". And even then there is potential upside to those numbers if overnight is colder and CCB develops faster.

Agree with Pickles I could see a lull Sunday morning ~7am-9am when it's fizzling (even drizzling) between WAA and CCB, before we crank again into afternoon.