• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’d weight 70% gfs and 30%. Euro is easily the most amped, so have to keep that in mind.

2-4” maybe a bit more for colder areas 

Canadian is a good compromise between Euro and gfs. 6-10 inches for us, which I would be very happy with.

• Like 2

Anyway, the original ideas for this event are still largely in tact - to me...

This appears to be a middling event with ceiling somewhere in moderate amounts ( snow).  There may be some subjectivity as to what others feel or want to mean moderate, but less than 10" and > than 4".  Should this modulate less(more) in the more certain frames through tomorrow, we cross that bridge.

The factors of attenuation were several going into this thing.  Whichever is actually causing it to realize thus far, assimilation lapses/speed saturation in the flow/destructive interference aside, we are seeing some of that unfold before our very eyes. The last day and half of runs are taking us through that downward ride.  Maybe things have stabilized with these recent UK and Euro type runs in a tentative alliance as of this morning and in fact ...heh.  I don't really have a problem with that interpretation for now. 

I would still caution that we may get significance added back, or taken away further, during these next 3 model cycles today - particularly the 00z run this evening.  

I will say ...there is some 20 or 30% chance this minors out to the point where it becomes an issue determining what is really causing matters to take place.  If the lead S/W runs thin ... yet the spacing shortens with a stronger 2nd, we may burst open an envelopment of lighter regional snows of 1-3" or spot 5" over a span of time anyway.   There's also a reasonably good chance that we get something back from the first ... I told John the other day this was going to be a pain in the ass event to track and that much appears to be the best forecast for this f'n thing yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Anyway, the original ideas for this event are still largely in tact - to me...

This appears to be a middling event with ceiling somewhere in moderate amounts ( snow).  There may be some subjectivity as to what others feel or want to mean moderate, but less than 10" and > than 4". 

The factors of attenuation were several going into this thing.  Whichever is actually causing it to realize thus far, assimilation lapses/speed saturation in the flow/destructive interference aside, we are seeing some of that unfold before our very eyes. The last day and half of runs are taking us through that downward ride.  Maybe things have stabilized with these recent UK and Euro type runs in a tentative alliance as of this morning and in fact ...heh.  I don't really have a problem with that interpretation for now. 

I would still caution that we may get significance added back, or taken away further, during these next 3 model cycles today - particularly the 00z run this evening.  

I will say ...there is some 20 or 30% chance this minors out to the point where it becomes an issue determining what is really causing matters to take place.  If the lead S/W runs thing ... yet the spacing shortens with a stronger 2nd, we may burst open an envelopment of lighter regional snows of 1-3" or spot 5" over a span of time anyway.   There's also a reasonably good chance that we get something back from the first ... I told John the other day this was going to be a pain in the ass event to track and that much appears to be the best forecast for this f'n thing yet.

Self-dialogue? 

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Self-dialogue? 

OH  ha... you mean "John"  ?

I thought you guys knew each other's names but FXWX poster's name is John

man I was staring at that trying to figure out what the f you meant by that.  Truth be told though ... sometimes it does feel one is speaking to an empty room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

You're exactly right. He actually just had the euro map up from last night. Although he did say there's some model differences, he seems to favor the euro. I also watched Gil Simmons from WTNH with a video on social medi that he just put out 25 minutes ago. He also is favoring the euro as well. Mentioning that there is a wide range of snow totals but he thinks this is looking like a plowable event. 

It seemed like it, although I don't have much trust in the Euro anymore.  It used to be King... now it's just a tool like the NAM

2 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

It seemed like it, although I don't have much trust in the Euro anymore.  It used to be King... now it's just a tool like the NAM

Ride a horse boys and girls. The patience us Grasshoppers have had will pay off 6Z Euro lock it up.

index (7).png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

06z EPS maybe looks like it has a better cluster NW than 00z? Not sure what mean QPF looks like yet, but the SLP looks slightly better. No huge changes though.

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

6z EPS juiced up a tad. 

eps_acc_snow_ens_p2_boston_144.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p1_boston_144.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie was pretty close to Euro....a little south but big QPF up to about BOS-HFD

Two little things to remember -

this dips S (total manifold) before lifting up.  Climo on that is typically a wetter system.  Not sure how that aspect plays into this, but that seems like there's room there to speculate. 

the other aspect is that S system tracks tend to inch N when climbing up a flow slope like this scenario appears to be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1