• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

I’m part of the old guard from the previous board that was EasternWX. I joined that officially in 2008 but had lurked for a year or two prior. I knew nothing back then and just read the board. And that was before subforums. Storm threat threads covered the whole EC. So you had people freaking out over temps from NC while SNE high fived knowing they would get crushed. 

But some here even predate Eastern amd go back to WWBB. Now those are old timers. 

I’ve known Randy and Leesburg Aldie for a long time. Met many at conferences and gtgs. Would be happy to meet y’all some more. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I was amazed to see that I have been lurking around here since 2012.  I see that most of the "old guard" joined around November 2010 or so, but I am under the impression that there was some sort of predecessor community "Eastern" or something like that.  A lot of you guys (and gals) seem to know each other waaaaay back. 

Any raconteurs out there feel like sharing the history of this group of like-minded, (very sick) people.

I go back to MIRC (chat) in 1997. We were #neweather. There were about 5 or 6 of us....Marcus, Ian, myself. A bunch of others joined shortly after. Eventually we spread out into usenet/bulletin board group as ne.weather. In the early 2000s, easternuswx.com was founded and that eventually became this site iirc. Little vague but there is a core group that have been around for a while. I was there in the beginning and my sickness, errr, passion for the weather has kept me here.

• Like 3

DT is or was an energy met with a very short temper and dislike of people questioning his knowledge. He’s arrogant but smart too. He can teach well but holy fuck he can get unglued. 

I don’t miss him because he said awful shit to many here and some who I consider close friends. It was unacceptable 

• Like 6

I wish I remember all the usernames on #neweather....I was SteveB, Logan, vortmax, DT_wxrisk, sacryd_dreamz, Bubbler, Ian, dang wish I could recall more. I have screenshots of that on an old floppy disk in my closet. Someday I will have to see if I can upload them, that would be cool to reminisce. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I go back to MIRC (chat) in 1997. We were #neweather. There were about 5 or 6 of us....Marcus, Ian, myself. A bunch of others joined shortly after. Eventually we spread out into usenet/bulletin board group as ne.weather. In the early 2000s, easternuswx.com was founded and that eventually became this site iirc. Little vague but there is a core group that have been around for a while. I was there in the beginning and my sickness, errr, passion for the weather has kept me here.

Colin has been reincarnated as Osfan...remember when jebman threatened Randy...that was fun.

• Haha 1

Just now, cbmclean said:

Threatened?  Like seriously?

Yeah there were drama board fights all of the time..Ian was in the middle of 90% of them I think. I'd bet his post count is still in the top 10 even though he hasn't been a regular for years. It wouldn't surprise me if he shows up this week 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, H2O said:

I’m part of the old guard from the previous board that was EasternWX. I joined that officially in 2008 but had lurked for a year or two prior. I knew nothing back then and just read the board. And that was before subforums. Storm threat threads covered the whole EC. So you had people freaking out over temps from NC while SNE high fived knowing they would get crushed. 

But some here even predate Eastern amd go back to WWBB. Now those are old timers. 

I’ve known Randy and Leesburg Aldie for a long time. Met many at conferences and gtgs. Would be happy to meet y’all some more. 

Good memories H2O.  I joined Eastern early on - iirc it was late 99 or around 2000.  But that was long ago.  Recall reading about some of the snows in the WMA when living in Germany and then Thailand later, where we didn't get much snow.  Was on some other forum/read board before that but don't recall the names.  Joined the first one in 96 while living in Japan.  I typically read more and post less out of reverence for those with more expertise, to whom I'm grateful for the knowledge transfer over the years.  

Eastern is where I learned how to root for SNE to get screwed by suppression and how intense regional wars can be.  And that bigfoot is real.  Eastern is where I also learned Ji doesn't know where he lives.  And still doesn't

• Haha 4

For anyone thinking of chasing this next storm to the mountains, the Canaan resort hotel and the lodge at blackwater falls state park in Davis have availability for the weekend. Blackwater falls lodge is very reasonable and the park is gorgeous in the snow. Easy access to timberline, Canaan, and whitegrass (if cross country or snowshoeing is your thing).

Not sure when I joined, but I remember following the February 2006 storm on the board and reading posts about that insane deform band up in the New York City area.

Randy five-posted me at some point in 2009-2010 because I made some sort of off-color joke at an inopportune moment. Pretty sure I was in the sin bin for like a year. :lol:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Those were the good ole days. Still have fond memories of enjoying the 09/10 winter on eastern and that crew.

That winter has special meaning.  The first snow in Dec was on my birthday, 2 weeks after we moved into our new home after returning to the US from 3 years in Thailand and Afghanistan.  It don't snow much in Thailand!  Was the best welcome home/birthday present ever!  

• Like 2

I think I remember that.  Not a shining moment but we all had those back in the day.  I was awful at model pbp and gave that up.  We treated those that paid for the euro back then as gods because they held the keys to any storm.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I wish I remember all the usernames on #neweather....I was SteveB, Logan, vortmax, DT_wxrisk, sacryd_dreamz, Bubbler, Ian, dang wish I could recall more. I have screenshots of that on an old floppy disk in my closet. Someday I will have to see if I can upload them, that would be cool to reminisce. 

I was clskinsfan on Eastern too. The reason I wont change my name. I have had it for forever.

My very first post on eastern in 03 was in response to a Rainstorm post when I said the angle of the wind was all wrong. It fell flat and nothing has changed since.  Rainstorm was a poster who was known for saying the angle of the cold was wrong...still flat

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RDM said:

Good memories H2O.  I joined Eastern early on - iirc it was late 99 or around 2000.  But that was long ago.  Recall reading about some of the snows in the WMA when living in Germany and then Thailand later, where we didn't get much snow.  Was on some other forum/read board before that but don't recall the names.  Joined the first one in 96 while living in Japan.  I typically read more and post less out of reverence for those with more expertise, to whom I'm grateful for the knowledge transfer over the years.  

Started lurking during Jan. 96 near the beginning of Internet when SNONUT and PTRAVEL broke down that epic storm. Still using AOL dial-up at the time which seems like the Stone Age.

• Like 1

I stumbled on to this site back in 2012 when I was trying to understand that awful pac puke parade of a winter.  I remember a moment of enlightment when the patter "changed" but to another sucky pattern.  Can't remember what the change was but if I had to guess it probably took a brief break from Pack Puke to a NPAC ridge.  At the time I think I just thought there was a "good" pattern and a "bad".  But someone on the board pointed out that the pattern definitely changed, but it just transitioned to another sucky pattern.  That lead me to realize that there are multiple different types and degrees of patterns, and only a small subset of them are good for our regions.    

9 minutes ago, 87storms said:

It's funny how storms just simply don't like to hit during the week.  It took a reverse bust in Jan '00 to get a Tuesday MECS.

The big ones rarely ever hit during midweek. I don't know why. 

I was on Eastern then joined this forum in 2011. I don't know enough to post but I sure do enjoy reading all of the analysis.  I used to wake up at 2am to turn the weather channel on for updates; my husband is grateful I only now just need to read my phone and not wake him up in the middle of the night anymore. haha. Thanks to all (most) of you!

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic