Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Another 0.5" yesterday and overnight, which brings us to 19.9" in the past 6 days.  Last season the whole seasonal total was a bit over 22", so we've nearly matched that in just 6 days lol.

MLI has had nearly 26" in the past 6 days.  Officially 16" OTG there and also at DVN.  Prob 13 inches or so here.

I guess you better hope for a super Nino in the future instead of La Niña. lol

• Haha 2

Picked up an additional 7” last night with strongest lake effect band I have ever seen locally.  I think most of it fell in a 4 hour period between 10pm and 2am. It was a bit lower ratio than normal lake effect.  Definitely not 20:1.  It came down so hard the flakes were riming. I could hear it hitting the window.  Surprised there was no thunder.

The weekly total is now over 20”  and the ground depth average is now around 14.5” IMBY.  Lots of drift variability though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Picked up about 24" in the past few days, def put a dent in the snow deficit.  Also nothing better then 104 degree water with a light snow falling on you. 

418499628_10224654226922643_5738102334544608795_n.jpg

419587364_10224654226802640_11774802886635778_n.jpg

418500669_10224654226882642_7707884493851256213_n.jpg

419660947_10224654226842641_3989461557477843246_n.jpg

419116408_10224654252123273_7895135134056053325_n.jpg

We love our hot tub in the cold, when there is no wind. If its windy I quickly build up the "beard ice" and it gets miserable fast. 

After picking up 4.6" of cement snow, rain, and a flash freeze friday night, another 1.5" fell at DTW blowing ad drifting everywhere on Saturday. Then Sunday, January 14th was the 1st sunny day we have seen since December 15th!

Season to date snowfall has now climbed to 11.1" at DTW and 10.3" Imby.

FB_IMG_1705336408251.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

We love our hot tub in the cold, when there is no wind. If its windy I quickly build up the "beard ice" and it gets miserable fast. 

Yea, agreed I wont go in it when its more than a breeze as it is miserable, the heated mats are a game changer though.  

32 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

0.6" of sugar snow fell overnight, and the Arctic looking sun this morning made for a beautiful winter morning. January snowfall today is 9.2" at DTW and 8.9" imby.

FB_IMG_1705440903097.jpg

A picture perfect day for a snow lover like you. ;)

• Like 1

I'm in a rural subdivision on a wooded acre lot. We do a number of things to help support the local ecosystem with certain foods we put out daily for both the daytime and nocturnal feeders and have a steady nightly group of visitors we catch on camera. Since Saturday I've only seen cats at night, where over the winter to date every night we'd have several possums, raccoons, an occasional skunk, an occasional fox. I know one of the possums has a burrow/den at the edge of my property so he's not feeding elsewhere, he's just not leaving his den. Have to believe that's the case for the others as well. Have a bird that has been making a continual single chirp every few seconds the past two nights, I am guessing to try to stay alive or warm? Have never seen that before, it's way up in a tree so there's nothing I can do and I don't know if it's in trouble anyway or that's a normal thing. 

As a winter lover my enthusiasm is offset by the fact that this level of deep and sustained cold is just so hard on human life & the less hardy wildlife. Very interested to see what visitors make it back after this is over and which didn't make it. It really offing sucks that we'll blow all this next week with rain. While I don't want it to stay sub-zero, normalizing back to highs near freezing and lows in the teens and a snowstorm next week would have been primo. This deep cold and then rain in late January is just f'in stupid. 

• Like 3

Lake Effect still ongoing from last Friday's system and subsequent cold air mass. Was down to 1/4 mile visibility just from falling snow until about 1 this afternoon. 22" IMBY so far and still going pretty strong. 

I pre-emptively apologize for having the best winter wx climo on the subforum

IMG_20240117_132723590.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sethtoast said:

Lake Effect still ongoing from last Friday's system and subsequent cold air mass. Was down to 1/4 mile visibility just from falling snow until about 1 this afternoon. 22" IMBY so far and still going pretty strong. 

About where are you located in Houghton?

6 minutes ago, sethtoast said:

The above photo was taken from an MTU building. Without doxxing myself too much I'll say I'm within walking distance of campus.

Trust me I know that photo well!!  I didn't even need to look at your location.

Where did you get your measurement from or did you measure it?  Just wondering if that was an in-town measurement.

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Trust me I know that photo well!!  I didn't even need to look at your location.

Where did you get your measurement from or did you measure it?  Just wondering if that was an in-town measurement.

It's from a friend who lives about half way up the hill in Hancock. I personally don't have a backyard so that's the closest local measurement I can get. Now that I'm looking at the actual photo it's more like 21.5" but still not bad considering we started from basically 0 and barely got any synoptic snow from the initial low on Friday.

I would note that Calumet and northwards was hit by a pretty strong shore-parallel band yesterday through to this morning. They've probably gotten an extra 8-12" that we haven't received. 

20240117_131204.jpg

49 minutes ago, sethtoast said:

It's from a friend who lives about half way up the hill in Hancock. I personally don't have a backyard so that's the closest local measurement I can get. Looking at the actual photo it's more like 21.5" but still not bad considering we started from basically 0 and barely got any synoptic snow from the initial low on Friday.

I would note that Calumet and northwards was hit by a pretty strong shore-parallel band yesterday through to this morning. They've probably gotten an extra 8-12" that we haven't received. 

20240117_131204.jpg

Understood.  Many time people will send me CMX reports and I am like but what did Houghton get :lol:.  I know in town the houses are very close (both Houghton/Hancock) so measurements are best around SDC (trials) or in Hancock hills like your friend.

Back down to 1/4-1/2 mile visibility out my window. Looks like we've returned back to dendrites so hopefully we can squeeze a bit more out of this before the warmth sets in this weekend and next week. This week has definitely been a top 10 event for me, although I'm sure you can guess by now I haven't witnessed as many winters as most people here, and most of them were in Chicago suburbs.

• Like 3

A lot has happened this month. Here are my loops of the previous couple of weeks. I didn't save quite as many 500mb maps, since the initial Nor'easter of the month actually wasn't that interesting at 500mb.

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_1_17_2024_250mb_loop.html

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_6_17_2024_surface_loop.html

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_8_17_2024_500mb_loop.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sethtoast said:

Similar here but not quite as much.  GRR is reporting 13" snow depth and a peak of 15" a couple of days ago.  28.6" so far this month at the airport which brings us to less than 9" below normal for the season.  Quite the turnaround for a sub 2" December.  Even the monthly temperature departures might go negative after today.  This has been a great week for the west wind favored LES areas for sure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Similar here but not quite as much.  GRR is reporting 13" snow depth and a peak of 15" a couple of days ago.  28.6" so far this month at the airport which brings us to less than 9" below normal for the season.  Quite the turnaround for a sub 2" December.  Even the monthly temperature departures might go negative after today.  This has been a great week for the west wind favored LES areas for sure.

Had a lull in snowfall last night. Looks to be picking back up, but as plates / columns so not expecting a huge day of accumulation.

I'm still 4 degrees above normal for the month at KCMX. I really doubt we'll get much lower than that given the dumpster fire of a pattern we have next week. In any case, I don't really have much of a right to complain at this point.