Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It is odd that the GEFS/GFS though now for the better part of 2-3 days when it shows a raging 4-5 MJO on its plots shows what is probably the most favorable pattern for snow in the MA and up the coastal plain we've had all winter but that may simply be the fact there is typically a lag so 1/17-1/22 might be okay even if the MJO is strongly in 5, but 1/23-1/30 may be where its a raging SER

Makes sense that there’d be a lag

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yes, we lag with the MJO and we'd get a period of warmth, prob the last week of Jan before the Aleutian low develops. all looks on track to me

I am sure the GEFS is still too strong on the MJO anyway, just a question of how much but its pretty much been too strong any time its tried to show a strong pulse the last 2 months and the Euro has been too weak, it just is a question whether it verifies closer in amplitude to the Euro or GEFS

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heisy said:

Btw, 6z eps/control made big steps towards a cmc like solution for the 13th with better confluence and a farther E wave at end of run… I have a feeling 12z runs today might be fun. c50a33d32417e138f036b5469b822146.jpg
288ee6e043f0b4cc1c6c7861f8a854ec.jpg

We r teetering on an avocado look there. We dont want the entire pattern overwhelmed with a displaced frigid PV. Though the is an upside.....if that happens and we go frigid/dry (like my ex) we have a good shot once the pattern relaxes, so there's that.

• Like 3

The 13th wasn't supposed to be our storm though. Any wintry precip we get from that I'd call a bonus. I'm more interested in 15-20. 

I'm too burnt out from this weekend's storm to play the rain/snow line game for 7 days...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Don’t remember which phase it was, but we did get an area wide 0.5-3” here back in Dec. maybe it had nothin to do with the mjo, which I’m no expert on

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It is odd that the GEFS/GFS though now for the better part of 2-3 days when it shows a raging 4-5 MJO on its plots shows what is probably the most favorable pattern for snow in the MA and up the coastal plain we've had all winter but that may simply be the fact there is typically a lag so 1/17-1/22 might be okay even if the MJO is strongly in 5, but 1/23-1/30 may be where its a raging SER

I have a theory about the mjo. I think its relationship to the larger pattern is symbiotic.  Yes the mjo forcing affects the long wave pattern. But one reason for those correlations is imo when the mjo is in synch with the larger pacific base state (example MC forcing in a Nina) it will both spend more time in the warm phases and have the canonical warm phase look because the larger pattern supports it. 

But fast waves through phases contradictory to the larger pattern don’t have as much impact. It’s why the 8/1 passes haven’t done us much good the last 7 years. On the flip side there are examples of warm phases during cold periods that didn’t cause as much of a SER either. 

So on the one hand I’d say history suggests a brief 4/5 pass won’t hurt us too much during a Nino. But with things leaning warm lately is that still true?  Is anything even slightly hitting the warm button too much now?  Dunno. This year is a great test case in many ways imo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

Looks like exact same rain snow line lol b0fa3cc527107b3c66bc0aba7960ed28.jpg

Yep...that would be an absolute troll job! But it is 7 days away...if it looks like this now only way it can look worse is all rain! Maybe it gets better who knows, lol But the period I'm more interested in is after that as our historically prime climo window opens...no matter what, that window (mid Jan-President's day) will be put up or shut up time, lol