• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

That ridge position into NW Canada with a TPV lobe in Quebec SHOULD mean that energy out west cuts under and slides east...but that has not been happening recently.  We've seen this play out a lot lately.  Everyone is focues solely on the upstream causes in the Pacific.  But how much might the warmer gulf and atlantic with the TNH also be playing a part?  Pumping the SER more than usually and adding downstream impediment to western troughs being able to slide east? 

Yea I bet it Canadian played out it still wouldn’t result

13 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yup, the GFS evolution is just delayed, not denied. you still get legit Arctic air into the pattern, it’s gotta go somewhere

And ofc the 12z GEFS doesn't resemble the op run for the same period where it tried to bury a deep trough into the SW. HL ridge bridge too.

1705287600-OZMjsUOaQcI.png

• Like 6

Just now, CAPE said:

And ofc the 12z GEFS doesn't resemble the op run for the same period where it tried to bury a deep trough into the SW. HL ridge bridge too.

1705287600-OZMjsUOaQcI.png

I think Ralph might object to the WAR.  

Seriously though, is there a reason that WAR wouldn't be a problem?  The -NAO isn't really a block there, just a Greenland heat dome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I think Ralph might object to the WAR.  

Seriously though, is there a reason that WAR wouldn't be a problem?  The -NAO isn't really a block there, just a Greenland heat dome.

The WAR was there from when the trough was initially positioned out west. Those +heights were absorbed into the NAO ridge as the trough shifted east, and Ralph's phobia is dissipating, so not a problem. Not technically a block at that point.

• Like 1

Even though models pinch the Pacific ridge into -EPO/-WPO, it's still a -PNA pattern, and a strong one at that. You guys should really run the composites for -NAO's lately and the -PNA patterns that have happened at the same time. I think +NAO/+PNA is correlating too. GEFS by day 15-16 is really starting to warm things up here, with the NW trough trying to retrograde into +EPO, which happens sometimes after big blocking episodes. +300dm Aleutian island ridge on the mean. -PNA pattern

https://ibb.co/fHQdLDL

1 hour ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

You know the last time we got big snow was around the January 20th timeframe.

Yep, and the antecedent airmass was exactly what PSU described using the fantasy range of the 12z gfs. I remember it being sufficientlyrics cold that week, barely making it out of the mid 30s!

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Since its been so long...just for reference...

This is what we want the antecedent airmass to look like as a wave comes at us

Whatwewant.thumb.png.385bbc0a588b84afdf2bed3454533715.png

NOT THIS

Notthis.thumb.png.67cee0e3b90e3f3d4e22689638d36b0a.png

It was closer to an even bigger event if the NS would have phased in.  But the setup was nice...way too far out to know if the GFS is even close.  I would like to see the ensembles start to show this discreet wave with a bit more clarity over the next couple days.  They picked up on this current wave from like day 15 which was amazing.  I don't expect that...but we want to see some hints at this on the ensembles soon.  

This look fits the airmass prior to our last blizzard almost exactly. I remember that whole week it was quite cold barely making it out of the mid 30s. That's closer to "the look", no?

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this will work. HL blocking is insane

A lot of snow for all the insane HL blocking the last 2 Winter's. That N. Pacific -PNA region is really a dominant pattern at this point in time. And the -NAO has a SE ridge correlation since 18-19, and really going back to 2013. 

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

A lot of snow for all the insane HL blocking the last 2 Winter's. That N. Pacific -PNA region is really a dominant pattern at this point in time. And the -NAO has a SE ridge correlation since 18-19, and really going back to 2013. 

the -NAO does not correlate to a SE ridge overall. the months with the strongest -NAOs often have a SE trough