Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Hm, that’s actually not as bad as I expected. BOS Probably ends up with 10 inches for Jan, which is below average but not a complete trainwreck like Dec. Im not excited about the models right now, but hopefully things change and we finish with a cold and snowy Feb and Mar.

30 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

We need at least one big dog regionwide.

Jan 2022 was the last big one for me, I’d like to see a true big snow and cold month that is remembered fondly like Feb 2015, Jan 2011, Feb 2013, Mar 2018, etc. Its been a while.

Just now, George001 said:

Jan 2022 was the last big one for me, I’d like to see a true big snow and cold month that is remembered fondly like Feb 2015, Jan 2011, Feb 2013, Mar 2018, etc. Its been a while.

It really hasn’t in the grand scheme of things though. It may feel like it because we’re constantly model watching and paying close attention but your last biggie was just 2yrs ago. Then you list 2018, 2015, 2013, 2011. That’s an insane stretch imo. So this stretch, as bad as it has been and feels, is nothing compared to some 20th century decades. 

35 minutes ago, kdxken said:

That looks like a pain in the ass.

It was. There was one big sugar maple that was on the hill above what I believe was a black birch that forked at the base, so it was like 2 trees. By the looks of the maple, it snapped and took the other two down. There wasn’t any rot in the maple either. I want to say they were > 24” in diameter. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, George001 said:

Hm, that’s actually not as bad as I expected. BOS Probably ends up with 10 inches for Jan, which is below average but not a complete trainwreck like Dec. Im not excited about the models right now, but hopefully things change and we finish with a cold and snowy Feb and Mar.

hope so too

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It really hasn’t in the grand scheme of things though. It may feel like it because we’re constantly model watching and paying close attention but your last biggie was just 2yrs ago. Then you list 2018, 2015, 2013, 2011. That’s an insane stretch imo. So this stretch, as bad as it has been and feels, is nothing compared to some 20th century decades. 

Even 2022 although we got the biggie, it got warm and melted after. That wasn’t a sustained cold and snow stretch, we got big snow but it was sandwiched between warmth. Overall, it’s been mostly bad since 2016. My area getting a little lucky snow wise in winters like 2022 doesn’t change that. I want to see COLD and snow. Something like 2013-2014 even. That winter wasn’t the snowiest, it was moderately above average snow and very cold here. I understand that 2014-2015 is an anomaly, but a solidly BN temp AN snow winter would be nice.

2 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

I'd be impressed if he was reporting from the 770' location in Manhattan.

Could be Falmouth, MA? though i think it's more likely its CT. 

But 770' in Manhattan? i just noticed the elevation there, where is he on the 67th floor of the WTC?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, George001 said:

Even 2022 although we got the biggie, it got warm and melted after. That wasn’t a sustained cold and snow stretch, we got big snow but it was sandwiched between warmth. Overall, it’s been mostly bad since 2016. My area getting a little lucky snow wise in winters like 2022 doesn’t change that. I want to see COLD and snow. Something like 2013-2014 even. That winter wasn’t the snowiest, it was moderately above average snow and very cold here. I understand that 2014-2015 is an anomaly, but a solidly BN temp AN snow winter would be nice.

Oh if you’re thinking cold and wintry (more than a week or two), regardless of snow amounts, then yea those are dwindling away slowly. They’ll come back at some point though once the Pac cooperates again like 13/14. That was a good pac driven winter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Oh if you’re thinking cold and wintry (more than a week or two), regardless of snow amounts, then yea those are dwindling away slowly. They’ll come back at some point though once the Pac cooperates again like 13/14. That was a good pac driven winter. 

That was probably one of the most consistent, most uniform D-J-F you could get around here, each month was fantastic. 95-96 you can add to that list prior to 2000. But since 2000 i cant think of a better DJF met winter

• Like 2