Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Two cutters coming up. We’ll see about after.

I haven’t given up on the 13th yet but I’d like to see a stronger trend soon. But there’s been some runs that had it a lot colder. Mean trough position is definitely more friendly by the 15th though…

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I haven’t given up on the 13th yet but I’d like to see a stronger trend soon. But there’s been some runs that had it a lot colder. Mean trough position is definitely more friendly by the 15th though…

Yeah I suppose maybe can’t rule out a SWFE. But that trough is so deep. I was hoping maybe the block would build in time for something like a SWFE. 

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

they all disagree

I mean how can you glean what the outcome is at the surface when you're just looking at h5? I understand it looks more favorable but I don't think you can say for certain it won't cut. And to be fair, I didn't see your post of the EPS lol.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

I mean how can you glean what the outcome is at the surface when you're just looking at h5? I understand it looks more favorable but I don't think you can say for certain it won't cut. And to be fair, I didn't see your post of the EPS lol.

it's not certain that it won't cut... cutting during that timeframe around the 17th just isn't the favored outcome. suppression seems more likely than a cutter given that pattern

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it's not certain that it won't cut... cutting during that timeframe around the 17th just isn't the favored outcome. suppression seems more likely than a cutter given that pattern

Ok well Tip agreed so that's good but I wonder why the Ops are so out to lunch? You would think the latent heat from the cutter on Tuesday/Wednesday would strengthen the block enough to stop the 13/14 from cutting.

5 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Ok well Tip agreed so that's good but I wonder why the Ops are so out to lunch? You would think the latent heat from the cutter on Tuesday/Wednesday would strengthen the block enough to stop the 13/14 from cutting.

How many times can you recall a long range blizzard that just didn't add up given the pattern and it eventually ended up a rainstorm. It goes both ways, not that it definitely will this time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a smoothed out mean though. Not a fan of the coast to coast troughing. Would like to see some ridging out west. 

the TPV is in southeast Canada and is pinned under a block. would be really tough to get a cutter in this pattern. nothing is impossible, but this pattern favors sliders over cutters for sure

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the TPV is in southeast Canada and is pinned under a block. would be really tough to get a cutter in this pattern. nothing is impossible, but this pattern favors sliders over cutters for sure

My issue with that is the compressed medium due to the se ridge...will tend to shear approaching SWs.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, look out west...those are the risks with RNA. It should eventually abate.

overall, though, I do think it's a conducive pattern. strong AK ridging, Arctic airmass, decaying west based -NAO, and TPV in SE Canada. it has a lot going for it, definitely higher end potential

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Yeah no doubt I'd be more worried about TN/SC/GA seeing snow on 1/18 than a cutter

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

00z GGEM for example...  Otherwise, nada/no-go on coastal commitment from other operational versions - although yesteday's 12z JMA looked suspiciously like it bombed the 13th cyclone as it rips a fast mover from the TV to the GOM - I have zip real-time experience with that product though, and it's coarseness doesn't lend to confidence either.   So I guess we have the GGEM/JMA against every more higher performance method imaginable - ha, not a good optic ...

But we'll see.  The NAO is negative on the 13th ( pretty deeply so in the numerical values), with the actual spatial depictions also showing ample hgt anomalies over the western limb.  The PNA has even begun to rise - but still negative.   It can be argued in both directions. 

The short version is that if we average the position climo for a -PNA/-NAO,  it's just about collocated where the EPS and GEFs mean are for that for that time range.  Very interesting..